Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hated in the games

• 09-02-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So I figured a thread to vent the frustration that can sometimes be felt while playing the games could be quite therapeutic for us all :D

I'll get the ball rolling.

I hate tag-teaming with Barry/Tyson/(Bob as I know him) in Platinum. That kid just can't duel for his life, his monsters always get completely destroyed and here's me left 2 on 1. Kid needs to take the finger out or just p!ss off and go play with his bloody weedle!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I straight up hate the fact that I missed out on a few swarming Pokémon...

Goodbye completing the Pokédex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ciaran*

CianRyan wrote: »
    I straight up hate the fact that I missed out on a few swarming Pokémon...

Goodbye completing the Pokédex.

Just keep setting the clock to 11:59, that's how I finally caught a Delibird.

I hate, really really hate the Zubat/Geodude caves at the start of the games, well mostly Red etc, but I have a fear of caves now. And I never use repels or any items really, just a bizarre 'might need them later' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I hate that the later games followed almost exactly the same format as the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Those stupid caves...

I hated when you'd be FINALLY see an Alakazam or and Abra or something.
    "A wild Alakazam appeared!"
    "Trainer used [attack]"
    "Alakazam used TELEPORT" :pac:

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Those stupid caves...

I hated when you'd be FINALLY see an Kadabra or and Abra or something.
    "A wild Kadabra appeared!"
    "Trainer used [attack]"
    "Kadabra used TELEPORT" :pac:

FYP.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the berries. the only element of the game i found completely pointless tbh

the berries. the only element of the game i found completely pointless tbh

Berries are very useful for battle and making poffins, which make our Pokémon better in competitions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Berries are very useful for battle and making poffins, which make our Pokémon better in competitions.

doesnt matter. i think the game would be better off without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i love the games but cant stand the fact nintendo will not make a decent 3d game. The wii is the perfect platform for a proper online pokemon adventure. The attempts they make in the past like colosseum, snap and stadium where just insulting. Give the fans what they want!! I even was foolish enough to think they might make a nice cel shaded 3d game for the ds but still they chuck the same tried and tested format as use and expect us to pay!! well i say no sir!!

doesnt matter. i think the game would be better off without it

You can completely ignore them while I use them.
    The berries are awesome, no need to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

steve_ wrote: »
    i love the games but cant stand the fact nintendo will not make a decent 3d game. The wii is the perfect platform for a proper online pokemon adventure. The attempts they make in the past like colosseum, snap and stadium where just insulting. Give the fans what they want!! I even was foolish enough to think they might make a nice cel shaded 3d game for the ds but still they chuck the same tried and tested format as use and expect us to pay!! well i say no sir!!
    This

A full 3D adventure with a good online infrastructure would force me to buy a Wii again.
    Better yet someone give Sony/MS many many monies to buy the pokemon franchise and let them do it!!!(Preferably sony since theyre Japanese and also slightly insane...........and by slightly i mean completely bonkers):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Those stupid caves...

I hated when you'd be FINALLY see an Alakazam or and Abra or something.
    "A wild Alakazam appeared!"
    "Trainer used [attack]"
    "Alakazam used TELEPORT" :pac:

Ah yeah, I hated that... General attacks usually don't work, IIRC you need to sleep or paralyze them (may be totally wrong), but there was still only a tiny tiny tiny chance of that working!
    Think I only ever managed to capture 1 of the little gits, then they're still more or less useless until they evolve (from Abra)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

if i remember correctly someone gives you an abra in one of the towns or you buy him, i cant remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You can buy Abra with coins from the games corner in Cerulean city.

I hated/hate the caves :(

You can catch an abra with an Ultra Ball with out weakening it.
    In Platinum you can trade a Machop for an Abra named Kazza in Oreburgh Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

When you're facing either a Gym Leader or one of the Elite Four, and on the verge of making their Pokemon faint, and they whip out the Full Restore.

When you're facing either a Gym Leader or one of the Elite Four, and on the verge of making their Pokemon faint, and they whip out the Full Restore.

"I'll just finish them off with one of my weaker moves to save the good ones, slash will do."

"Trainer used Full Restore"

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!:mad:"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

steve_ wrote: »
    i love the games but cant stand the fact nintendo will not make a decent 3d game.

Well, the D/P/Pt/HG/SS engine is fully 3D. Sure it's on the DS, but on the few occasions where the camera changes, or there are in-game "cutscenes" you can really see it at work.
    You can catch an abra with an Ultra Ball with out weakening it.

Oh boy, so not true.

Based on the catch rate formula, when the wild Pokémon is at full health, the current value of a is catch rate over 3. For an Abra, that means at full health his a is 200/3. An Ultra Ball only doubles that value at it's ball modifier is 2x, making that 400/3, so the capture is still not guaranteed (only about a half chance). To absolutely guarantee it, you need to use a ball with a 4x multiplier, so a Quick Ball in the first 5 turns, Dusk Ball at night, Level Ball while at least double it's level, or a Fast Ball will result in a guaranteed capture, as 800/3 is more than 255 :)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well, the D/P/Pt/HG/SS engine is fully 3D. Sure it's on the DS, but on the few occasions where the camera changes, or there are in-game "cutscenes" you can really see it at work.

Oh boy, so not true.

Based on the catch rate formula, when the wild Pokémon is at full health, the current value of a is catch rate over 3. For an Abra, that means at full health his a is 200/3. An Ultra Ball only doubles that value at it's ball modifier is 2x, making that 400/3, so the capture is still not guaranteed (only about a half chance). To absolutely guarantee it, you need to use a ball with a 4x multiplier, so a Quick Ball in the first 5 turns, Dusk Ball at night, Level Ball while at least double it's level, or a Fast Ball will result in a guaranteed capture, as 800/3 is more than 255 :)

Every game I've played any of the games, to catch Abra that's how I've done it and it has worked perfectly every time.

200/3 would mean you have 200 chances in 3 of catching the Pokémon which is extremely high, 3/200 would be extremely low.
    With the ultra ball, that raising to 400/3 just makes it easier.

Try it, next time you see one, usually around lvl5-11 just throw an Ultra Ball.
    In my experience, you can catch them easily.
    Finding them seems to be harder.

200/3 would mean you have 200 chances in 3 of catching the Pokémon which is extremely high, 3/200 would be extremely low.
    With the ultra ball, that raising to 400/3 just makes it easier.

I think you've mis-read. To succeed in catching a Pokémon the number that results from the catch rate formula has be greater than or equal to 255. Otherwise it's down to a random number generator.

At full health, the formula is simplified to: catch rate X ball X status / 3

Even with an Ultra, that's only: 200 X 2 X 1 / 3 = 133.33.

While I don't usually work out the other formula, here goes. At 133.33, the random number generator, which generates four random numbers between 0 and 65535, has to generate four numbers between 0 and 55727. Which gives you, say about an 85% a 52% chance. (EDIT: 85% chance for one of the four to be under, so put it to the power of four...)

Sure it's not half, but it's also not guaranteed - just very bloody likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Jees, ye're all very good at the pokématics!
    I never needed a calculator to play pokémon ;)!

Nothing is more annoying than trying to catch Pokémon in the safari zone...

TRAINER used SAFARI BALL...
    Wild RHYHORN fled...

AAAAHHHHHH!

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I think you've mis-read. To succeed in catching a Pokémon the number that results from the catch rate formula has be greater than or equal to 255. Otherwise it's down to a random number generator.

At full health, the formula is simplified to: catch rate X ball X status / 3

Even with an Ultra, that's only: 200 X 2 X 1 / 3 = 133.33.

While I don't usually work out the other formula, here goes. At 133.33, the random number generator, which generates four random numbers between 0 and 65535, has to generate four numbers between 0 and 55727. Which gives you, say about an 85% a 52% chance. (EDIT: 85% chance for one of the four to be under, so put it to the power of four...)

Sure it's not half, but it's also not guaranteed - just very bloody likely.

Ah, I see how you're doing it alright.

So in the simplest terms possible: I've been very lucky when it comes to catching Abra. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

When was a pokemon forum created, this is brilliant! I hated not knowing how to get bulbasour in yellow

dambarude wrote: »
    Jees, ye're all very good at the pokématics!
    I never needed a calculator to play pokémon ;)!

It's not always needed, but sometimes you need to get down to the nitty-gritty details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

The legendaries that run away. It takes ages to even encounter them, then they run away as soon as you enter battle or else start using healing moves (like the birds with Roost in Platinum). Argh!

Getting a critical hit when trying to catch a rare Pokemon, making it faint. Where was my critical hit during the last gym leader!?

Confusion and paralysis randomly screwing you over.

elekid wrote: »
    The legendaries that run away. It takes ages to even encounter them, then they run away as soon as you enter battle or else start using healing moves (like the birds with Roost in Platinum). Argh!

Getting a critical hit when trying to catch a rare Pokemon, making it faint. Where was my critical hit during the last gym leader!?

Confusion and paralysis randomly screwing you over.

But not being even a quarter as effective when you use these moves against some one.
    UUUUUUGH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Jigglypuffs, just irritating, Threw my old gameboy colour at the wall one day when it appeared and just sang at me. fággotry of the highest order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The selective accuracy of moves based on who's using it. If an enemy uses confuse ray/sing/some status effecting move, it will always work. If you use it it'll rarely ever work.

Then there's moves with less than 100% accuracy. 70% you say? Sounds like it'd be worth the risk. Then you find it actually only lands 20% of the time.

Davidius wrote: »
    Then there's moves with less than 100% accuracy. 70% you say? Sounds like it'd be worth the risk. Then you find it actually only lands 20% of the time.

Reminds me of my battle with Lance. His Dragonite's thunder only has 70%? Yea, hits all the time, yet I miss half the time with a 95% Ice Fang :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The necessity to have to surf across a huge expanse of water that had nothing but bloody tentacools!

In the original games, being told that paralysis will let you catch the legendary birds. Paralyzing them, then seeing that they can still dodge your ball :(

Advertisement