Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An O2 issue or two

• 09-02-2010 12:13am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

My wife got a bill from O2 today despite the face that she is under my account. We called them to see what was going on and after a bit of looking it was discovered that they had reactivated an old account from years ago when she was with o2 (just happens to be the same number). The problem was, it had her maiden name on it and her old college bank details on it. I got a little irate at this. The girl on the other end of the phone could not pull up the details that were on the letter as she said they did not exist but obviously they do.

My query before I ring them tomorrow again is,
    a) are they breaching the data protection act by holding onto personal and banking information from nearly 7 years ago.
    b) they tried to take money from an old account without any permission from her to do so, is this legal
    c) my wife's phone is starting to act up, screen is flashing and even though there are bars of reception on it she cannot make a call. It's just over a month since she got it, what would be here return and get a different phone as she has not been happy with it since day one.
    d) I called O2 about reception as it has more or less disappeared in the past week down here. O2 say nothing has changed yet I cannot make a call in 90% of my house where as last week I would get reception everywhere. If this persists am I within my rights to cancel my 18month contract without penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TomTom wrote: »

My query before I ring them tomorrow again is,
    a) are they breaching the data protection act by holding onto personal and banking information from nearly 7 years ago.
    b) they tried to take money from an old account without any permission from her to do so, is this legal
    c) my wife's phone is starting to act up, screen is flashing and even though there are bars of reception on it she cannot make a call. It's just over a month since she got it, what would be here return and get a different phone as she has not been happy with it since day one.
    d) I called O2 about reception as it has more or less disappeared in the past week down here. O2 say nothing has changed yet I cannot make a call in 90% of my house where as last week I would get reception everywhere. If this persists am I within my rights to cancel my 18month contract without penalty?

(a) no
    (b) probably
    (c)no she had 28 days to return it, she didn't, it now has to go for repair.
    (d) yes but you need to give them a chance to sort it out. Check Phone, Check Sim, Check Network. Are you now using a 3G phone when previously is was a 2G model?
    If your still having coverage issues after trouble shooting the problem I know where i'd be telling them to shove their 18mt contract.

Advertisement