Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pictures & Sound from Laptop to TV

• 09-02-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭

I want to play some files from my Laptop on my TV.
    Laptop is a Dell Inspiron with VGA Connector and TV has all the bells and whistles.
    What type of cable do I need if I want both pictures and sound through the TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

VGA-VGA cable

Audio cable with male headhpone on 1 side and Audio Left and Right on the other end( presuming your tv has audio left and right inputs and allows audio in left + right if you use the VGA ).

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Cheers
    I assume Maplins or somewhere like that for the cables?

no probs mate, yeah theyre standard cables, i picked up one in a regular electrical shop

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check if your Laptop has an svideo port because that can be used as well with something like this. Its what I use to connect my laptop to my TV.

Check if your Laptop has an svideo port because that can be used as well with something like this. Its what I use to connect my laptop to my TV.
    svideo pic is rubbish though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Strange I find it very watchable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

lmimmfn wrote: »
    svideo pic is rubbish though

Desktop probably not the prettiest, but DVDs/media files play great through it.

For the VGA cable, if you know someone in a computer department, ask if they have some that will be thrown otherwise. I saw a batch of Dells coming in recently with DVI and VGA cables with each monitor. Only the DVIs will be used.

Strange I find it very watchable?
    polyfusion wrote: »
    Desktop probably not the prettiest, but DVDs/media files play great through it.
    its ok, but is a far far cry from the digital video quality available from VGA/DVI/HDMI.The max vertical resolution is rubbish and the picture is analog and blurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

lmimmfn wrote: »
    its ok, but is a far far cry from the digital video quality available from VGA/DVI/HDMI.The max vertical resolution is rubbish and the picture is analog and blurry.

Agreed, but I still use an old (but fantastic) CRT, so S-video is the best I can interface with a HTPC. It's possible to tweak desktop settings (text size, icon size, etc), as well as graphics card settings and TV settings to get a workable desktop, but it'll never be as good as a digital interface.

Also, not to be pedantic, but IIRC, VGA is analogue.

Agreed, but I still use an old (but fantastic) CRT, so S-video is the best I can interface with a HTPC. It's possible to tweak desktop settings (text size, icon size, etc), as well as graphics card settings and TV settings to get a workable desktop, but it'll never be as good as a digital interface.
    Ahh its great for old CRT's as the options are limited. I have to tweak the desktop stuff for my HTPC and 40" HD tv too as the text @ 1920x1080 is too small for browsing etc. but its fine for XBMC etc.
    Also, not to be pedantic, but IIRC, VGA is analogue.
    lol, nah its ok, youre right, still though extra tech for h&v synch make a world of a difference and also of course the resolution capibilities are higher.

• Advertisement

Additional help needed.

Used VGA x2 cable and got a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio wire and connected it to the headphone socket on laptop and connected it to tv.
    Now have picture from the Laptop on TV but sound won't work through TV.
    When I take out the audio lead on Laptop it works on Laptop speaker so I assume it's the settings on the TV/Laptop.
    If I need to start changing any settings, give us the nob version please.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Additional help needed.

Used VGA x2 cable and got a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio wire and connected it to the headphone socket on laptop and connected it to tv.
    Now have picture from the Laptop on TV but sound won't work through TV.
    When I take out the audio lead on Laptop it works on Laptop speaker so I assume it's the settings on the TV/Laptop.
    If I need to start changing any settings, give us the nob version please.
    how did you connect it to the tv? did you use a headphone->audio Left + right cable which connects to audio in L+R on the tv? did you check the tv settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I want to play some files from my Laptop on my TV.
    Laptop is a Dell Inspiron with VGA Connector and TV has all the bells and whistles.
    What type of cable do I need if I want both pictures and sound through the TV?

Does your TV have LAN connection? I found it very useful.
    Stick in LAN cable to your TV and other end to your Laptop..
    Kids can watch E-WALL from your laptop, while you surf internet on your laptop over wireless etc. No mess with cables, and your laptop is not overloaded (TV is decoding video and using laptop as storage device). Had to fix some laptop's, found video cards burned. Why?? ..simply overloaded video card, no proper cooling/weak vga card etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try the other 3.5mm socket, line out, not headphones out,or get a 3.5mm to 2 rca stereo male cable, 2euro powercity.READ TV MANUAL,re pc to tv audio.try tv audio in settings,advanced,, set volume up.or tv menu, pc audio,volume settings ,audio in,select source,input.
    google pc to tv setup,or look on www.svideo.com, audio.setup.
    connect to tv audio rca in red,white, l,r. its prbly on the front or the side of the tv maybe under a plastic flap.
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-your-laptoppccomputer-to-your-tv/
    See here .

All sorted, faulty lead, working now cheers for help.

Advertisement