Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ugg disaster!!

• 09-02-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I somehow managed to spill cooking oil on one of my Uggs and am having no luck removing the oil stains! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I give up altogether :(
    Have the Ugg cleaning kit and tried their cleaner but didn't work. Would love some bright ideas!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Try putting a paper bag over where it spilt and iron the bag, works with most types of oil. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

That's the first thing I tried but it didn't work. Lifted some of the oil but stains still look very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kathycork

Hey,

I was googling this stuff last week when my uggs got saturated in the rain and I was panicking, became obsessed with the tribulations involved with owning Uggs, they're so impractical, and yet so cosy!

The two most common ways of fixing oil spills and stains is to shake baby powder onto the affected area and leave it sit for a couple of days, shake more on if it's still visible and repeat. Time consuming but works for most people. It should soak it up that way. (I just thought of something else there myself, maybe blotting paper for your face would do the trick too?) And then use the Ugg cleaner, but do it all over the boots cos spot cleaning one area just leaves watermarks. Also read that a white eraser rubbed onto the stain will get rid of it also, althought
    this might be cos it removes some of the suede? I'd advise googling this before you try.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I find hand liquid soap rubbed into the stain and washed out works great on oil stains. However I have never tried it on Ugg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

kathycork wrote: »
    Hey,

I was googling this stuff last week when my uggs got saturated in the rain and I was panicking, became obsessed with the tribulations involved with owning Uggs, they're so impractical, and yet so cosy!

The two most common ways of fixing oil spills and stains is to shake baby powder onto the affected area and leave it sit for a couple of days, shake more on if it's still visible and repeat. Time consuming but works for most people. It should soak it up that way. (I just thought of something else there myself, maybe blotting paper for your face would do the trick too?) And then use the Ugg cleaner, but do it all over the boots cos spot cleaning one area just leaves watermarks. Also read that a white eraser rubbed onto the stain will get rid of it also, althought
    this might be cos it removes some of the suede? I'd advise googling this before you try.

Best of luck!

I did exactly that on a suede shoulder bag and it worked a treat. I rubbed in the talc with fingers, waited a couple of hours and then used a suede brush to get it out and repeated the process.

Then I used a spot cleaner by Punch to get rid of the residue. Perfect.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the great tips - I have the Ugg covered in baby powder now so fingers crossed! Will keep trying anyway. They cost way too much to give up yet!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

After you take the powder off and you still see a slight visiable faint stain of the grease you can wash it out with the corner of a towel, by dabbin it on, dry then with a hair dryer, you'll notice it slightly faded, don't panic, take the other boot and rub the top part or some part of it over the faded suede from the stain on the other boot and voila like new.

I've had to do it a mountain of times with mine, works a treat.

Great idea!! Hoping the powder works and then I'll give it a go! There was a lot of grease and the Uggs are the grey ones so they show up every mark!
    Typical :eek:

Hey belle, just in response to someone saying to use the hairdryer on them, I'd advise no. It seems to be the consensus that that's the worst thing to do to suede. So don't dry them with a heat source like a rad or hairdyer, let them airdry. Unless you use the cool setting?Even then I wouldn't risk it.The suede will get all shiney and matted if you do.

Thanks kathycork, I normally just air dry them so will do that. Don't want to wreck them anymore than I already did!

• Advertisement

kathycork wrote: »
    Hey belle, just in response to someone saying to use the hairdryer on them, I'd advise no. It seems to be the consensus that that's the worst thing to do to suede. So don't dry them with a heat source like a rad or hairdyer, let them airdry. Unless you use the cool setting?Even then I wouldn't risk it.The suede will get all shiney and matted if you do.

I've done it 100's of time it in no way makes them matted or shiney, I find it worse to leave uggs sitting to air dry if they are wet, the colour has more time to disperse then and you could result with worse stains than the original stain!

And I'm sure they'll be fine Belle_09 lol mine are chesnut I dropped a damn spatula on them when I was cooking dinner, I got a spatula shaped stain in grease and pasta sauce and it all came out like new, I even used the hair dryer initially when I had the powder on to heat the boot from the inside to lure the grease out into the power, worked for me, then brushed them off, anything left was washed out and hair dryer again. As I said I've done it hundreds of time and the boots are in no way matted or shiney, every time they get a proctector coat of spray on them they come up like new and mine are now 2 years old!

Lol well there is some hope so! If you managed to get a spatula shaped stain out I should manage mine!! I'm a disaster - no more wearing Uggs when I'm cooking. Still covered in baby powder think it will be a long process but I'm a lot more hopeful now. :D

Yeah am a disaster, when I'm cookin I do not give a thought to what I'm wearin!!

It worked!!! I love baby powder :rolleyes: I'll be keeping some in stock from now on. Stains are very faint now and are not noticeable at all so I'll be back to wearing my Uggs again! Might give the powder one more go and see how they look tomorrow but thankfully they won't have to be thrown in the back of the wardrobe. Thanks for all the great advice! I'm delighted :D

Ok useless at quoting so I'll just indirectly respond!

Not only can they get matted or lose the "fluffy" feel of the suede, but drying them near a heat source when wet can actually cause the suede to tighten and then crack. Drying naturally doesn't cause the suede colour to disperse, like you said, which is a great tip to use anytime with the Ugg, just rub the affected area off another part of the boot! It's the same principle as drying it naturally, air is air. In fact, I would think the force of the hairdryer would actually cause the colour to bleed more than air drying in a ventilated room! If you google search it you'll see that this is on the UGG website guidelines not to hairdry the boot. We'll agree to disagree, different things work for different people!i personally wouldn't risk it with the delicate nature of the suede.

Belle I'm thrilled the babypowder worked!

Advertisement