Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental in Greystones?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Does anyone know if any of the garages in the area do car rental service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

There's an Enterprise rent a car location run out of Windsor motors in Bray. I'm sure a bit of googling will identify other alternatives, though probably none directly in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

There's an Enterprise rent a car location run out of Windsor motors in Bray. I'm sure a bit of googling will identify other alternatives, though probably none directly in Greystones.

Thank you MyPerfectCousin! I checked out their prices, and the car hire rates are okay, but the insurance charges are sky high! I know it`s most likely fully comp. I may call them to see if it`s compulsory to take their insurance, or if I can just have a certain level of insurance. Only looking to rent 4 wheels, so it doesnt have to be a new car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Thank you MyPerfectCousin! I checked out their prices, and the car hire rates are okay, but the insurance charges are sky high! I know it`s most likely fully comp. I may call them to see if it`s compulsory to take their insurance, or if I can just have a certain level of insurance. Only looking to rent 4 wheels, so it doesnt have to be a new car! :)

We only used them because our insurance company supplied a replacement car from there after a collision. Would you not book online and collect it from the airport if you're looking for the best deal? Budget.ie tends to have some of the lowest rates, or at least it used to.

Thank you, yes I am investigating all options. Just thought if there was someone in Greystones, I would have liked to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Bring plenty of that fine Oregonian Pinot Noir with you:)

• Advertisement

Bring plenty of that fine Oregonian Pinot Noir with you:)

Ah! You are familiar with the very fine wines they produce here? Aren`t they excellent? I have been trying to educate the off-licence owners that they need to check out the wines from Oregon and Washington, and make them available to the general public :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Clodagh84,

Renting of smaller cars (classes A-C) in Ireland outside the Summer is cheap - less than 10 euro per day. The kicker are the fees for CDW etc. (10-15 euro/day) and 2nd driver (9 euro/day! Most European countries it is 9 euro or so for the whole rental period.).

Some U.S. Platinum and Gold credit cards (eg. AmEx Platinum) cover CDW and other insurances. Although the card may have an annual fee, it can pay for itself very quickly when doing car rentals and not taking CDW - both in Ireland and elsewhere. You have to check VERY CAREFULLY though in the small print of each card, as Ireland is on the list for some of the cards for which CDW cover is not extended.

You must refuse ALL insurances for the card's insurance cover to be valid. And take a copy of the card's small print with you to show to the agent. Hertz and Budget at the airport are hassle-free, but the smaller ones really are not comfortable with you not taking CDW and try to pressure you into it.

I spent a couple of months some years ago in Oregon - fell in love with Eugene. Oregon is what California was before the right moved in and got old.

Hope this helps... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Ah! You are familiar with the very fine wines they produce here? Aren`t they excellent? I have been trying to educate the off-licence owners that they need to check out the wines from Oregon and Washington, and make them available to the general public :D

Oi dont forget BC Okanagan reds aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

darter wrote: »
    Clodagh84,

Renting of smaller cars (classes A-C) in Ireland outside the Summer is cheap - less than 10 euro per day. The kicker are the fees for CDW etc. (10-15 euro/day) and 2nd driver (9 euro/day! Most European countries it is 9 euro or so for the whole rental period.).

Some U.S. Platinum and Gold credit cards (eg. AmEx Platinum) cover CDW and other insurances. Although the card may have an annual fee, it can pay for itself very quickly when doing car rentals and not taking CDW - both in Ireland and elsewhere. You have to check VERY CAREFULLY though in the small print of each card, as Ireland is on the list for some of the cards for which CDW cover is not extended.

You must refuse ALL insurances for the card's insurance cover to be valid. And take a copy of the card's small print with you to show to the agent. Hertz and Budget at the airport are hassle-free, but the smaller ones really are not comfortable with you not taking CDW and try to pressure you into it.

I spent a couple of months some years ago in Oregon - fell in love with Eugene. Oregon is what California was before the right moved in and got old.

or you could get annual excess insurance from the likes of http://carhireexcess.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

loyatemu wrote: »
    or you could get annual excess insurance from the likes of http://carhireexcess.com/

Good one! It covers up to 180 day rental, whereas credit card ones usually cover only to 30 days. Max of €3,500 per rental.

You have to be a resident of Ireland to take that insurance though, so not an option for Clodagh84. There may be U.S. equivalents, although again read the fine print very carefully as Ireland has an odd status with some auto insurers. Some cards don't extend their CDW waiver to Ireland.

• Advertisement

darter wrote: »
    Clodagh84,

Thank you darter, Yes I have an Amex card, but as you mentioned, Ireland is one of the countries they won`t cover on CDW. And thanks for the rest of the info on Hertz and Budget.

Darter, did you happen to bump into any exotic animals down in Eugene? :)

loyatemu wrote: »

That was a good idea, except I`m not resident in Ireland! I will check out to see if my old insurance company can insure me somehow as my Irish driving licence is still valid.

Axa have an excess insurance policy too, and on examining the policy, it appears one doesn`t need to be a resident.
    Thing is, I don`t think an excess policy replaces the cover a CDW policy gives ie. in the case of a collision! :(

An update:

I checked with my Mastercard credit card company, and Yay... they cover CDW insurance cover on a car rental in Ireland...so I will just go ahead and rent from the chaps in Windsor, Bray.

Thank you everyone for all your input on my thread :)

Advertisement