Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official "Look what I gots!" purchases thread

1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Look at the shiny!

samsung-ativ-s-leak.jpg

Can't actually use it as a phone until tomorrow since I need a microSim, but so far I'm liking the Windows Phone OS. It's my first experience of using it. It's also crazy light and thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Look at the shiny!

Can't actually use it as a phone until tomorrow since I need a microSim, but so far I'm liking the Windows Phone OS. It's my first experience of using it. It's also crazy light and thin.

TIL Samsung have a Windows range, more details Nolan! How much was it actually?

marko93 wrote: »
    TIL Samsung have a Windows range, more details Nolan! How much was it actually?

It's the Samsung Ativ S. Saw it on Bargain Alerts. €215 delivered from amazon.de.

It's a lovely phone, feels great, screen is gorgeous, OS is nice (love live tiles).

Has a few drawbacks, the most annoying being the fact that when it rings it only vibrates once, and then just plays the tone, same with alarm. You also have a limited selection of apps, and you can't have independent volume for your ringer and phone noises, so if you want to play a game quietly in the corner, you have to turn it way down and then remember to turn it up when you're done.

But most of the drawbacks could be fixed in an upcoming update to WinPh8.

So all in all, if you're looking to try out Windows Phone, or just looking for a mid-range smartphone, I'd definitely recommend this

It's the Samsung Ativ S. Saw it on Bargain Alerts. €215 delivered from amazon.de.

It's a lovely phone, feels great, screen is gorgeous, OS is nice (love live tiles).

Has a few drawbacks, the most annoying being the fact that when it rings it only vibrates once, and then just plays the tone, same with alarm. You also have a limited selection of apps, and you can't have independent volume for your ringer and phone noises, so if you want to play a game quietly in the corner, you have to turn it way down and then remember to turn it up when you're done.

But most of the drawbacks could be fixed in an upcoming update to WinPh8.

So all in all, if you're looking to try out Windows Phone, or just looking for a mid-range smartphone, I'd definitely recommend this

Actually looking at ordering a Lumia 520. Really want to get an S3/4 but my phone bit the dust. So I need something.

EDIT: May actually be getting the Ativ S now, reading on it and it seems solid for exactly what I want! Was ordering with Amazon.de troublesome or straight up like the English variant?

How long was delivery?

EDIT2: Feck it, ordered. Will keep me going for a year or two at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

300xNxde055_4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zkyBzzUle_.webp

So excited for it to come :D, should be fun to bring out at parties and ermmm to use in an appropriate fashion as a future member of the healthcare profession >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

iPhone 4s! And i was happy with my sh*tbrick of a phone, well im happier now :D
    Better not lose this guy, or drop it down the loo as I've been known to do before!

ip4main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I want these shoes do damn badly but can't find them anywhere online :( IS there a thread for like "Where to get that?" or something?

fxsjw3-l-c680x680-shoes-tie-dye-vans-marijuana-vans-tie-die-weed-leaves-colourful-cool-stoner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I want these shoes do damn badly but can't find them anywhere online :( IS there a thread for like "Where to get that?" or something?

fxsjw3-l-c680x680-shoes-tie-dye-vans-marijuana-vans-tie-die-weed-leaves-colourful-cool-stoner.jpg

Maybe someone bought plain white ones and spray painted them? There's like traces on the inside so that would be my guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Cakes. wrote: »
    Maybe someone bought plain white ones and spray painted them? There's like traces on the inside so that would be my guess!

Oh yeah good point actually. That seems like it would take far too much artistic creativity on my part so my dream has abruptly ended. Thanks though for clarifying that :)

I bought this on Amazon today while I was buying a whiteboard for my room. I'm not sure why...

719IQp4yPuL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008BP22GG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the angry one because it was marginally cheaper than the happy one. I also bought a red brick that I can attach the head to.

I'm a child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My new baby. Delivered just over a week ago.

20150108114157_Inspiron-3000_11.jpg

That a netbook or a laptop?

Not a fan of not having a num-pad myself, but it's a nice enough looking yoke.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That a netbook or a laptop?

Not a fan of not having a num-pad myself, but it's a nice enough looking yoke.

On closer inspection, it would seem I picked the wrong image to link to! My new machine is a laptop, and it does have numbers to the right of the Enter key. Not that I'll use them much. :pac: I need to start looking into gaming again...

Now this is a thread I've not read in a long time. Congrats on the laptop! :D

I'm living on my own now. So now I can have nice cookware that I don't have to hide in my room to avoid it getting ruined (I had a set of baking trays destroyed within two weeks of moving into this place, which is exactly why you can't have nice things when sharing a house with f*cking students)...

So, in that vein, I bought these, and they're fab.

71UsyDFQOsL._SL1500_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0124D17D4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71vWCbTbMtL._SL1500_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SNMXRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and I bought a slow cooker, because why not?
    81ApVM-0%2BNL._SL1500_.jpg

(How sad is my life that this stuff legitimately makes me happy now)

A more exciting purchase, brought to me by the collapse in the £. Cheers Nigel and Boris!

productimage.aspx?id=1721321&quality=90&maxwidth=0&maxheight=0
    productimage.aspx?id=1721324&quality=90&maxwidth=0&maxheight=0

16GB RAM, quad core i7 processor, 2GB GeoForce card... job on!

Now, to figure out how to remove Windows 10 and install 7...

A more exciting purchase, brought to me by the collapse in the £. Cheers Nigel and Boris!

16GB RAM, quad core i7 processor, 2GB GeoForce card... job on!

Now, to figure out how to remove Windows 10 and install 7...

Always wondered if changing it to a Ubuntu machine and then on to 7 would avoid all the issues trying to revert back can sometimes cause? :confused:

marko93 wrote: »
    Always wondered if changing it to a Ubuntu machine and then on to 7 would avoid all the issues trying to revert back can sometimes cause? :confused:

I need to look into it more tbh. I read one article that basically said it was easy to just wipe it and install 7 as if it were a no OS laptop.

Part of me is tempted to just throw Linux Mint on there and just use it as a Linux box. Really I only need 3 windows specific programs (iTunes, Office and the default Windows Magnifer) and really I could make do with Libre and Mint's accessibility stuff...

Always worth a bash if you have an ISO on hand. Takes no time if it's an SSD in the machine too so nothing to lose :p

Advertisement