Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I cycled to galway

• 09-02-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Never felt i had a thread worth starting . I cycled from Dublin to Galway .Just thinking about it now and it's really put a smile on my face . One of those things in life you don't get many opportunities to do and I got to do it for a children's charity *to give there's link in sig;)* I love the fact that I actually done it .
    Great weekend with some great people and raised money for charity :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Good for you. I once cycled from Chesham to Oxford and back. It's 42km from Chesham to Oxford as the crow flies, but the route I took was through the tiny country roads and over the Chiltern Hills, so the round trip was something like 110km. But it was sunny the whole day long and I can barely describe the sense of elation I had when I finally got back to Chesham! What a magnificent day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Well Done! :D

I promised I'd sponsor you back when you started training so just did, not much but every little helps right :(

Congrats dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Jemmy wrote: »
    Well Done! :D

I promised I'd sponsor you back when you started training so just did, not much but every little helps right :(

Congrats dude.
    Thank you sooo much , don't kid yourself it's a lot , really appreciate it

Thomas828 wrote: »
    Good for you. I once cycled from Chesham to Oxford and back. It's 42km from Chesham to Oxford as the crow flies, but the route I took was through the tiny country roads and over the Chiltern Hills, so the round trip was something like 110km. But it was sunny the whole day long and I can barely describe the sense of elation I had when I finally got back to Chesham! What a magnificent day!
    It was sunny but cold the first day , and foggy and damp the next , got to see some lovely towns though , but it was like the start of a horror film going into the fog, oh and got not one but two punctures in different tyres .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Wow that's such an achievement - I've always thought of doing something like that (I cycle regularly, but nothing over 150km usually!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rawbina

Well done:cool:
    How long did it take you? How many km's did you do when training & did you train for long?
    Bet you were sore after it but probably pleasureable pain:)
    I want to do someting like this soon

Wow that's such an achievement - I've always thought of doing something like that (I cycle regularly, but nothing over 150km usually!)
    I usually cycle on a mountain bike ,it's kind of broken so going fast on a mountain bike means you can go really fast on a road bike.
    Rawbina wrote: »
    Well done:cool:
    How long did it take you? How many km's did you do when training & did you train for long?
    Bet you were sore after it but probably pleasureable pain:)
    I want to do someting like this soon
    we split it into 120 one day , the next . As we we're collecting on the way. I dunno , like I found it fine , little daunted coming up to it , I did a few spin classes , jogging , cycling , but always cycled to and from uni anyway . But on a mountain bike , was amazed at the difference when i could use a proper bike . Just paced ourselves . Go up the hills at a decent speed as to go up them slow kills you in the end . Found that getting the a good speed fast was good as you could maintain it easier .
    My last hard training day consisted of 15km on the mountain bike going up and down hills , 5km jogging and sprinting , spin class and then 3km walk home . I have a rugby players build so most people should be able to do that .
    Little sore in places but I am used to banging myself off things:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rawbina

You've inspired me:)

Do you know of any charity cycles like that happening soon? I'm from Galway and living in Cork but tell me anywhere you know.
    I'm doing a half marathon for Chernobyl in Amsterdam later in the year but I want something for spring/summer to keep me focused and fit.
    Spinning is fun but I need a good challange.:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    Never felt i had a thread worth starting . I cycled from Dublin to Galway .Just thinking about it now and it's really put a smile on my face . One of those things in life you don't get many opportunities to do and I got to do it for a children's charity *to give there's link in sig;)* I love the fact that I actually done it .
    Great weekend with some great people and raised money for charity :)

How long did it take you? I was actually hoping to do the same thing for charity, but my support crew fell through. I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere without a repair kit or in need of something nutritional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Thats a great achievement, added bonus raising money for charity. Nice one! :)

• Advertisement

Rawbina wrote: »
    You've inspired me:)

Do you know of any charity cycles like that happening soon? I'm from Galway and living in Cork but tell me anywhere you know.
    I'm doing a half marathon for Chernobyl in Amsterdam later in the year but I want something for spring/summer to keep me focused and fit.
    Spinning is fun but I need a good challange.:cool:
    Lol erm maynooth I think has one next month but not sure . Good luck with the marathon :)
    djhunter30 wrote: »
    How long did it take you? I was actually hoping to do the same thing for charity, but my support crew fell through. I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere without a repair kit or in need of something nutritional!
    It was over two days but with right bike and not including punctures and breaks I'd say 10-12 hours . you have to watch out for wet roads and going down hills fast , had to break going down them, most of the way. But if you are collecting on the way , you have to stop and in a big group we have to stick together , main thing is keep warm . I had two punctures so make sure if you do it take two in case .

Advertisement