Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever fall foul of workplace cronyism ? ?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I lost my Job in June of last year and several interviews later remain unemployed unfortunately.It was around this time last year when the first steps towards merging our dept with another in the company began and everyone had to fill out this form,ie listing your daily duties,tasks etc, which would be taken into account as well as previous performance appraisal ratings.Yet I believe that was just an official process and alot of the managers had already decided which staff below manager/supervisor level would be kept on and which,for want of a better word,were expendable.Possible cronyism at work ? There was a team in our dept that were disbanding because they lost their main client.One member of this team,whose role was purely admin,essentially was given a job which she had no experience of but one that myself and other staff made redundant had done for the previous 2 years ! Anyone else have experience of this ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i think everyone experiences it some where in their career in to some extent however on a legal note its very hard to prove and use as discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mcmanaman

Thats very true Gerry.It would be practically impossible for myself or anyone else to prove that cronyism was at work.They would probably hide
    behind a statement like, 'well we believe they have the right skills to take the company forward' rather than admit that staff were selected because of who they were.I actually enjoyed my 2 years working there alot although what happened annoyed me.

Advertisement