Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallacies in football

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

dooferoaks wrote: »
    That Ireland were winning the play-off before Henry cheated.
    Ireland were winning the match in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CHD wrote: »
    Ireland were winning the match in Paris.

but not the tie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    but not the tie :rolleyes:

we were winning it the match in paris. right up to the point that Gallas scored and it was a draw meaning we went out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lucas is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The Muppet wrote: »
    Liverpool disprove your theory, they have consistantly outspent United and Arsenal and yet have never won the premiership proving money alone will not win you the title.

Falacies in football.

How about Muppets ability to count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

grenache wrote: »

I'll put it to you this way - how many of their own academy players did Chelsea & Blackburn have on their title winning teams? Blackburn had not one. Chelsea had 2 players - John Terry and Solomon Kalou. Both United and Arsenal had plenty of their own home grown talent on the majority of their title teams. Blackburn in the 90s and Chelsea now are artificially created power bases who in every sense of the word, 'bought' the league.

Kalou?

Played till 2003 in the youth teams of Feyenoord.

2003/04 Feyenoord
    2003/04 Excelsior
    2004/05 Feyenoord
    2005/06 Feyenoord

Make that 1 for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

fallacy's in soccer?

that anyone associated with a Premiership winning team gives a damn about the amount of money spent getting it as long as the trophy is in the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

FIFA's Fair play campaign!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

That teams who consistently lose players to injury are just unlucky. Sometimes this is true but often it is because managers are buying injury prone or weak players, or bringing back recovering players too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona are vulnerable at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

You wont win anything with kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Obafemi Martins is 25 - Passports from countries of questionable origin are legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

unsurprisingly, I disagree with this.

Yeah, United and Arsenal bought players which led to titles, but they did so with money earned and natural growth of the team and the club.

Chelsea and Blackburn were just given fistfulls of cash by a wealthy owner - without the outside investment and bankrolling of signings, neither side would have won the league when they did (though chelsea were building towards it imo).

For me, it is different. United and Arsenal earned the money they spent through on and off the field success. Chelsea and Blackburn didn't earn a penny of the money that was required for their success, it was simply handed to them.
    It's only different in so much as the money was sourced differently. The end result was the same. You need to spend money to win the league. You need to continue spending it to consistently win leagues.

Anyway, weren't united originally bankrolled by a stock exchange floatation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Italian football is boring.

The premiership is "the most exciting league in the world".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kippy wrote: »
    Obafemi Martins is 25 - Passports from countries of questionable origin are legitimate.

He is, Inter have said as much.

Doctors can tell someones age.

also, between his debut and the time he left inter he grew over 2 inches and filled out and gained speed over 100m in training, all things that stop happening after around 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Despite being one of the easiest balls to play, a crossfield ball will always get you a round of applause from the entire crowd. OK, not a fallacy, just something that always amuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well Shamrock Rovers would compete handily with SPL teams who in turn can give Celtic and Rangers a game so i don't think it's that unbelieveable that a top Irish team can be somewhat positive about causing an upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's only different in so much as the money was sourced differently. The end result was the same. You need to spend money to win the league. You need to continue spending it to consistently win leagues.

Anyway, weren't united originally bankrolled by a stock exchange floatation?
    nope - most of the money went to the edwards family. a portion of it was used to redevelop the main stand, and that was the sum total of money put back into the club as a result of the stock float.

Also, personally i think the source of the money is very important, that is my opinion, and it is what i am talking about when I discuss teams buying the league. I accept every team has to buy players, it is how those purchases are done that is the issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

"I didnt see the incident"
    Arsene wenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Blackburn/Chelsea bought their league titles. Well, maybe they did. So did man utd and arsenal if we apply the same criteria.

What???

96/97 - 97/98 Wenger spent £10.2m (£5.1m a season).

98/99 - 01/02 Wenger spent £17m (£4.3m a season).

02/03 - 03/04 Wenger spent £17.5m (£8.8m a season).

04/05 - 09/10 Wenger made a profit of £26.3m (£4.4m a season).

I agree that since he stopped "spending", we haven't won a league title but, to say we bought any of those titles is ridiculous.

All figures are estimates of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Form goes out the window in a derby game. This isn''t true at all. The better team nearly always wins it.
    e.g. Arsenal do Spurs more often than not in recent history
    Man utd do Man city more....
    Liverpool do Everton ...

didnt man city do the double twice over united in the 2 seasons before this?????????
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Liverpool are a one/two player team.

arent united a 1 man team................... Rooney??????????

arsenal 2 man team or 3. Arshavin, Van Persie and Fabregas????

Chelsea 2 man or even 3 with Lamps Drogs and Anelka?????

if you wanna include defence with united and chelsea with Teryy Rio and Vidic fair enough but Liverpool have Carra who is excellent. they have Masherano who United would kill for.

so all this crap about Liverpool being a 2 man team. most clubs are. they build a good team around 2 stars. always the way.

Young and Abonglahour...........

Defoe and Lennon...................

Given and Tevez...................

all teams build around 2 stars maybe sometimes a couple more step up avove average but they never become the main stars

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

4-5-1 is a 'defensive' formation.

Just because you only have one nominal stiker doesn't mean you're not going to score goals. I've seen teams rip opponents to shreds playing 4-5-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

gavredking wrote: »
    Correct, he is not an academy player at all. Bought from Feyenoord for I think about 8 million, open to correction though.
    Also, Kalou has never actually won the league while at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Newcastle are everyone's second favourite team :rolleyes:

Advertisement