Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One season wonders

• 09-02-2010 5:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which player folks remember playing a blinder for a season and then it all going downhill from there. I remember Georgi Kinkladze playing for Man. City around the 1995-96 season (I think) including a peach of a goal where he took it around most of the Boro team before dinking it over the keeper.

The big sides came looking for him but he stayed with City and did not a lot else (in comparison to his first season) after that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Just wondering which player folks remember playing a blinder for a season and then it all going downhill from there. I remember Georgi Kinkladze playing for Man. City around the 1995-96 season (I think) including a peach of a goal where he took it around most the the Boro team before dinking it over the keeper.

The big sides came looking for him but he stayed with City and did not a lot else (in comparison to his first season) after that.

It was against Southampton. He also had a great second season with us, it just happened to be in a lower division because we went down. An absolute legend and cult hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Just ignore the 18 league titles... One season wonders.... Yeah ok. If you are going to make a joke at least make it funny or slightly factual, instead of a complete fail.

fishing-reel-adl500.jpg

Marco Negri was another one. Scored 40 odd goals for Rangers, then left and did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Kevin Phillips won the golden boot one year and didn't really do much after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Roque Santa Cruz

Scored 23 goals in 07/08 season for Blackburn. 28 years old and never managed to get into double-figures in any other season including 8 seasons with Bayern and 1 with Blackburn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sasa Circic. though i'm not sure if he managed to even do a full season of wonder.

Marcus Stewert - was PL top scorer i think one season, or top English scorer, never repeated that success, or come even close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Michael Ricketts the year Bolton got promoted. Had a great first half to the season which led to him being capped for England and it all went downhill from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

magma69 wrote: »

Birmingham Fans may disagree after this weekend :D

As for Georgi Kinkladze ,hell of a player , on his day was a joy to watch ,Henry type of player , could just make the game seem effortless and showed a rare thing , loyalty to a club ,
    as Xavi6 stated a cult hero in blue half of Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Good shout with Marcus Stewart

Danny Cadamatri?/Francis Jeffers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Marco Negri was another one. Scored 40 odd goals for Rangers, then left and did nothing.

Scored 35 before Christmas! The guy was a machine, scoring in almost every match, including a 5 and two 4's.

He then injured his eye in a "squash match" with Sergio Porrini and was barely seen again.
    Rumour has it big Serge caught him fooling around with his Mrs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

naughtb4 wrote: »

Good shout with Marcus Stewart

Danny Cadamatri?/Francis Jeffers?

There's a blast from the past! What's he up to now? And was he even wonderful for a whole season? :)

What about Andy Johnson? Premier league's top scorer with Palace, and in the England team? He hasn't quite faded to obscurity, but he hasn't hit those heights again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

There's a blast from the past! What's he up to now? And was he even wonderful for a whole season? :)

He is playing for Dundee United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Tony Yeboah for Leeds United at a push? Although strictly speaking ahd two great season with Leeds but he came from nowhere apparantly.

He went on to Hamburg afterwards and had a decent career but still he seemed destined to be a superstar at one stage.

Juan Pablo Angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Juan Pablo Angel.

Which season was the one hit? 2001/02 where he scored 16 in 34 or 2003/04 where he scored 23 in 39?

Ronnie Rosenthal at Spurs.

I remember him having scoring a 2nd half hatrick at Southampton in a game where spurs were two down at halftime.

The Rocket will always be remembered for his miss v Villa when he at Liverpool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ipswich Town in 00/01.

Finished fifth and qualified for the UEFA Cup and then got relegated the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anderson.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anderson.

Anderson hasn't had a decent season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anderson hasn't had a decent season yet.

Touché :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Owen Hargreaves 07/08

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Toto Schillaci in 89/90.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Paul Warhurst deserves an honourable mention here.

Converted from a centre back to an emergency striker for Sheffield Wednesday where he killed for a while. Then he went to Blackburn and had loads of injuries. Maybe it was only a half a season really, but it was bloody explosive at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

michael bridges scored like 20 goals or something in his first season with leeds, then didnt score any for the next four seasons! Although he was plagued with injury.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I couldn't think of Warhurst - kept coming up with Guy Whittingham for some reason!
    Bridges is a great shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I couldn't think of Warhurst - kept coming up with Guy Whittingham for some reason!
    Bridges is a great shout.

was thinking of Whittingham too - 40+ goals in one season. Never reached that again (or close) but didn't do terribly otherwise.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    michael bridges scored like 20 goals or something in his first season with leeds, then didnt score any for the next four seasons! Although he was plagued with injury.

He now playing in Oz for Newcastle. Just on the point of Leeds, I was going to mention Seth Johnson. His career never really got off the ground despite Leeds forking out 7 million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Tony Yeboah for Leeds United at a push? Although strictly speaking ahd two great season with Leeds but he came from nowhere apparantly.

He went on to Hamburg afterwards and had a decent career but still he seemed destined to be a superstar at one stage.

well no, he had two good seasons for us, so not really a one season wonder
    Jordonvito wrote: »

well thats hardly fair considering in the following 4 seasons he played a massive 10 games
    He now playing in Oz for Newcastle. Just on the point of Leeds, I was going to mention Seth Johnson. His career never really got off the ground despite Leeds forking out 7 million for him.

so which was the great season that he had?

Do people understand what a one season wonder means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Bridges is a great shout!
    I'd even have danny mills. Had maybe 2 amazing seasons but after that he was just awful. I wouldnt have rated him good enuf for a championship any team!

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    so which was the great season that he had?

The season before Leeds bought him. He picked up an England cap on the way as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

was thinking of Whittingham too - 40+ goals in one season. Never reached that again (or close) but didn't do terribly otherwise.
    Whittingham did score fairly well other than that, but in fairness to him, 40 goals in a season is a hell of a lot.

David Nugent could be a candidate, although that could be written off as media hype rather than a one season wonder.

Andre Kanchelskis maybe?

Andre Kanchelskis maybe?

Hush those lips. He did excellent for United for a couple of seasons and carried that on at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

The season before Leeds bought him. He picked up an England cap on the way as well.

he hardly had a great season, he did ok and leeds bought him, its not like he was player of the year or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jon Stead was a half a season wonder for Blackburn in 03/04

26 apps 16 goals for Huddersfield before moving to Blackburn and scoring 6 in 13, important goals for the club, generally credited with keeping them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Didier Agathe and Matheu Flaminni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Cretaro hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cretaro hopefully.

hopefully not, three in a row ... I'm sick by the way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Biggest one that comes to mind is;

James Beattie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Zaki for the first half of the 08-09 season for wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

magma69 wrote: »

I wouldn't agree with that.

He's in the top 25 goalscorers since the Premier League started in '92, 7 full seasons comprising of 226 appearances, 87 goals & 31 assists. 5 of those seasons he finished in double figures.

This season he has 3 goals in 9 appearances for Birmingham, despite only starting 1 game. I don't think he belongs in this list to be honest!

To put it in context some of the players around him with similar appearances

Philipps 235 apps 89 goals
    Solskjaer 235 apps 91 goals
    Viduka 240 apps 92 goals
    Bergkamp 315 apps 87 goals
    Rooney 247 apps 100 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Torres, tbh.

(And I'm a 'Pool fan...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Steven Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Torres, tbh.

(And I'm a 'Pool fan...)

Wait what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

joe123 wrote: »
    Wait what??

He's basically been injured since his brill first season. What stated a little 'tongue in cheek' ;)

33 first season, 17 the next, 12 so far this year... (though his games/goals ratio is still pretty decent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who deleted my post? and why?

Okay I see whats happened, reaction to the muppetry earlier has been deleted (bar one), maybe a note would have been helpful? We're paranoid enough about the Mods as it is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Gabriel Heinze
    He looked like he was going to be the left back at United for years to come before his injury. When he came back it became apparent that he's slow and can't really defend. It's been apparent ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Brian Roy. One great season for Forest in 94-95, then strike partner Stan Collymore left for 'Pool and Roy was totally subdued for the next 2 seasons.

Other good shouts would be:

Stefanio Eranio at Derby 97-98.

Hamilton Ricard at Boro 98-99.

Richie Humphreys at Sheff Wed 96-97.

Nigel Clough at Liverpool 93-94

Paulo Wanchope at Derby 97-98

Martijn Reuser at Ipswich 00-01 (although technically he had two great seasons)

Jason Lee at Forest 95-96

Darren Bent at Charlton 06-07

Kevin Campbell at Everton 01-02 (i think)

Thats all i can think of for now

event wrote: »

well thats hardly fair considering in the following 4 seasons he played a massive 10 games

Exactly why I said "Although he was plauged with injurys", and he never done it anywhere else after leeds

grenache wrote: »

Darren Bent at Charlton 06-07

Kevin Campbell at Everton 01-02 (i think)

Thats all i can think of for now
    Yeah some good ones in there, but harsh enough on campbell and bent,
    campbell was evertons top score 3 seasons in a row, bent had 2 good seasons for charlton even when they were relegated he managed 13 goals, but hes hardly dissapearred off the face of the earth, still banging them in for sunderland, and he finished the 2008/2009 season as spurs top scorer

Pro. F wrote: »
    Gabriel Heinze
    He looked like he was going to be the left back at United for years to come before his injury. When he came back it became apparent that he's slow and can't really defend. It's been apparent ever since.
    and didnt i go get him on the back of my jersey the game befor he got injured!

• Advertisement
Advertisement