Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what would you change?

• 09-02-2010 6:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

what would you change about the premier league to improve it in any way?

here's just a few please feel free to add your own:

1. at least try goal line technology.
    2. maybe wage cap?
    3. limit foreign players( think they're trying that next year in some form )
    4. extra ref in each half? 4 linesmen 2 covering each half 1 on either side( some interesting off side decisions there )
    5. no relegation?

ok some are a bit far fetched as in number 4 just an idea its an awful one but an idea none the less. you dont have to agree with any of them as i said there just ideas. maybe no one would change anythin cos maybe if it changed we wouldnt have anythin to talk about it'd prob be boring if it were changed. so what would you change or introduce or even get rid of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

5. no relegation?

lol wut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

i never said you had to agree with them just asked for a contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'd like the playoffs for the 3rd promotion spot to be between the 3rd from bottom team in the PL and the 3rd placed team in the Championship. It's ridiculous that the 7th placed team in the Championship has a chance of promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Like the idea of a play off between 3rd from bottom v 3rd from top .
    As for the league ,think the famous winter break idea would be good , give teams a chance to get rest and injured players back , All teams at full strength (hopefully) would lead to better second half of season IMO.

Video refs.

Ban takeovers where the loan taken out is piled onto the club resulting in a huge debt e.g. Liverpool and United.

Possibly a wage cap. This however would have to be done all over europe as players would follow the money.

Dunphy to work for Sky Sports for a season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All players should only be allowed use their left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I'd like the playoffs for the 3rd promotion spot to be between the 3rd from bottom team in the PL and the 3rd placed team in the Championship. It's ridiculous that the 7th placed team in the Championship has a chance of promotion.

The minimum difference in revenue between teams in the Championship and teams is the Premier League is something like £20m. It's not exactly fair either to pitching two clubs against each other with potentially such a vast difference in terms of the resources available to them. If TV revenue were spread evenly throughout all levels of the league then it might work, but if you were to introduce this tomorrow I'm pretty sure it'd just result in the gap between the Premier League and the Championship getting bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1. Fan ownership
    - Fans are being marginalised, and clubs big and small are being run into the ground on the whims of some businessman trying to make a quick book, or some billionaire who wants a new plaything. The model in Germany, or ideally at Real or Barca, is the way to go.

2. Wage cap
    - Football is a great game, and most players love their job. Cap the annual wage at 100k. It's more than most professional players would otherwise earn, and it would put clubs on an even playing field. It would discourage foreign players moving to wealthy countries and wealth clubs to chase a fortune.

3. Goal line technology
    - There are no valid excuses for not introducing this. The technology is there, it works. It will only serve to improve the integrity of the sport, and stamp out cheating.

4. Get tough on players
    - Crowding the ref? Instant yellow. Only the captain should be able to talk to the player. Get tough on diving, on faking injury, on time-wasting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Players shouldnt be allowed snot rocket on the pitch!

Does anyone remember Peter Begerie (wrong spelling no doubt) for City years ago blew a load out of his nose and it caught the wind and wrapped around his ear? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Peter Begerie (wrong spelling no doubt) for City years ago blew a load out of his nose and it caught the wind and wrapped around his ear? :pac:

Ewwwww thats gross!
    You never used to see players years ago doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Like the idea of a play off between 3rd from bottom v 3rd from top .

I like the idea of it for 4th and 5th. Leagues are about long term consistancy, not one off matches. Teams who perform awfully, should be punished. Teams who perform well over a season should be rewarded. But I'd like to mak e it interesting with the bottom 4 and 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Or p*** in the middle of a game... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teams shouldn't be allowed spend money they haven't earned.
    The Champions League and UEFA thingamijig should be winner takes all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Referee Situation

Obviously I accept goalline technology, a buzz in the refs ear every time it goes out of play is the most stupidly simple thing to do.

Personally, I don't agree with video replays. But I think video replays for important decisions would significantly slow down the game. I also don't think it logically works, as the ball often doesn't go out of play for a long period. You can't stop play when a challenge is made by a team, so you have to let play run. What happens if it runs for 5 minutes, then at the end, the other team scores.
    I like the approach of 2 additional refs beside the goals. It'd be good I think.

Wage Cap

Legally, it can't be a individually wage cap. Also personally, I think the effects would not be as great. However, a wage cap for an entire team should be put in place. 5 mill a month or whatever to ensure competition.

It would do a multitude of things:
    A. Good players from average teams would not be moved by money, but by a desire to succedd.

Since the best players from the best teams would get the big wages, players like say Carrick couldn't be offered massive wages, and thus would probably have to take a wage cut to move clubs. This would help smaller clubs retain their players. It would also encourage a better sort of moving and priorities.

Also there must be an exception for under 18-20's so as to ensure youth development is allowed continue. This would happen naturally though as players who come through the ranks tend to be paid less anyway.

Safe Standing

Standing should be re-introduced. It is not unsafe. No report has ever shown it is.

Ownership

Restrictions on debt ratios. Debt classified between investment debt and other debt. Investment debt only applies to capital expenditure like stadiums and training grounds.

Ref Control

Enforce the rule of talking back to the ref results in 10 yards gained. However change the 10 yards gained to wherever they want within the ten yards, either to the left or too the right.

Straight yellow instantly for any talking back beyond what is considered acceptable in rugby.

Diving

Retrospective 5 game ban based on video reffing for diving. Any clear cases of diving, results in a 5 game ban. Very careful not to hand them out, only given to absolutely dead cert clear cases of it.
    Why? It would make even trying to dive an incredibly risky thing to do. Not only would it stop awful awful dives, it would cut down on the amount of general simulation, as if you **** it up, you might get a 5 game ban.

I think of all the things mentioned some form of system like tennis where teams get a limited number of appeals in a game should be at least tried. It could be limited to major decisions like incidents in the box and sendings off etc in order to ensure the game is not slowed down too much.
    3. limit foreign players( think they're trying that next year in some form )

No thanks. This would reduce the quality of the Premier league imo, I want to see the best players possible play for the team I support not be forced into playing inferior players due to rules.

In any case a cap on the number of foreign players will never stick as it can more or less be looked on as discrimination. Imagine a business telling someone that they cannot be hired as they are foreign, a cap on players would effectively be the same thing. I don't even know how the idea of it is even entertained tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its ridiculous that you think the 7th place team in the Championship has any hope of promotion ;) - playoffs is from 3rd place to 6th.

I think the top 3 championship teams should be promoted every year, with a playoff between the 4th bottom PL team and 4th place Championship team to decide who takes the final PL spot for the next season. If you finish 4th bottom in the Premier League you dont deserve to get off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

1. Wage cap for sure.
    2. Clubs can only spent money they earn. Dont allow it to have some sheik or oligarch bailing a club out.
    3. Limitation to foreign players at a club. I take Holland as an example where not that long ago players like Gullit, Rijkaard, Koeman played in Holland till they were 25/26 years of age. Nowadays players as young as 14 are going abroad.
    4. European cup football back to knock-out.

Maybe the "quality" of the premier league will go down but i think football in general will benefit from these points. As a supporter from a team from one of the smaller countries i dont give a flying f*ck anymore about European cup football.
    I think interest in european cup football will vanish in many countries. The entire "league" set up in Europe is only designed to get rid of surprises.

Edit: And only then i read the line "what would you change in the PL"
    that kind of makes my contribution worthless.
    Delete if you want, Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It can be an unfair system as the 6th place has often won the play offs. But I do understand why the play offs exist. I n the premier league teams are challenging to get into Europe but if only the top 2 get automatically promoted from the championship with the third team in a play off the lague could feel awful dull after a while.
    Like at the moment there is 13 points between 3rd and 6th, and 10 between 3rd and 4th, if only 3rd place got into a a play off the other teams would have no belief of catching them and their season would peter out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Currently, a referee is the only job in the world where no accountability for mistakes take place. Imagine I made a mistake at work, had an opportunity to rectify it, but my manager told me not too because it would undermine the work I did? Wtf? These guys are professional. So, after a game the referee sits down with his assistants and watches the whole game from start to finish, taking away yellows and reds which were undeserved, giving ones which should have been given but weren't (especially off the ball incidents, persistent fouling). This would mean the referees accepting that its hard to make heat-of-the moment decisions in a match, and instead looking at it from a completely objective point of view. Thus, there would be less appeals, and thus less undermining of referees because they are making the decisions themselves, rather than having a video committee over-rule them.

Whatever about a referee's wrong decision impacting a current game, its crazy that a player can miss a game because of a referee's error in the previous game. There may be a danger that he could be influenced/pressured after a game, so it would have to happen fairly quickly, that night or the morning after.

Goal-line technology

Video technology where the ball has definitely gone out of play (foul inside or outside the box, whose corner/throw-in is it, possible mistaken identity for a card, off-the ball incidents, whether a card should be given for a definite foul) but only where the referee is definitely unsure or the manager challenges it.

Video technology for penalties/free kicks/offside where the ball hasn't gone out of play as long as a decision can be made within 5 or 10 seconds whether the game can continue.

Handball is handball and should be punished, accidental or not - perhaps accidental handball in the box can result in an indirect free kick, rather than go unpunished, especially if it stops a cross into the box for example.

I would only be in favour of limiting homegrown players if players trained by the club from their teenage years were included. Clubs should not be discouraged from signing Africans/South Americans, etc. when they are young.

Relegated teams across Europe could have some kind of European competition to soften the financial blow of relegation. Would also give teams that never normally get the opportunity to compete at European level to have a go. Or maybe they have enough games already? Just an idea, not something I'm passionate about haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Wage cap definitely.Whether it be a cap on the team's total wage budget or an individual cap. Nobody needs to earn more than 30,000 a week. I think it would have to be a Europe wide measure however, if the premiership is to stay competitive in Europe.
    I would also like to see a cap on transfer expenditure per season, say 70 million gross spend in an attempt to stop rich chairmen attempting to create instant success by overspending.
    As we all now refs rarely call up fouls in the penalty box that they would normally award outside the box. Therefore I think it would be interesting to have a second penalty type, awarded for things like defenders pulling or holding strikers when crosses are coming in. Handballs inside the box which are clumsy and stop dangerous crosses etc but are more a reflex then intentional. The penalty would be taken from the edge of the area (18 yards out) Giving the taker a good chance but making it far less of a certainty then a 12 yard spot kick. This type of penalty would be a more fitting punishment to the foul as well as making it easier for refs to punish niggly fouls in the box. As with all these changes they would have to Europe if not worldwide changes, so I'm probably going a bit OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Safe standing - As PHB said above. Football has moved on dramatically from twenty or even ten years ago. Even if it was just a small section behind the goal (in United's case, the lower Stretford end for example). You could have the same numbers and same amount of tickets, but I think it would make for a better atmosphere by far.

Re-introduction of Cup Winners Cup/Less teams in CL - Not so much a Premier League change but anyways. At the minute, the UEFA Cup is a mess. About 3000 teams (ok so it's only 48) play a groups stage which narrows it down to.. 32! What's the point in each team playing 6 games and basically being back where they started? The cup holds little value at the minute.

A re-introduction of the CWC would lower the teams in the Europa League dramatically whilst the CWC itself was also a pretty prestigious cup.

Lowering the teams in the Europa League could also allow for a lowering in the amount of teams in the Champions League. Apart from maybe 2 groups this season, you could predict the last 16 without much hassle. The standard in the group stage is dropping dramatically and there's not as much competition. I'd be all for a reduction to 16 teams again. Of course, like all things though, it comes down to money. The income they get from the amount of games on TV and sponsorship deals nowadays is too much for them to make any drastic changes.

Retrospective banning - The idea Zola came up with of banning players who have cheated or have been proven to have cheated in order to gain an advantage. An easy way to stamp it out of the game.

Owners taking over through debt - It's affecting United, Liverpool and Portsmouth at the minute although the debt was already there when a couple of Portsmouth's owners came in. That said, the Premier League shouldn't allow an owner take over unless he shows them exactly how he intends to clear the debt ASAP. As for United and Liverpool, there should be a thorough examination to the takeover methods such as those of the Glazers/Gillet and Hicks. No club should be burdened with a massive amount of debt accumulated through buying shares with said debt.

A movement towards fan ownership should also be looked at.

Advertisement