Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 new Nikon lenses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Mmmmmmmmmm

So nikon is, at long last, getting in on the F/4 pro-zoom market. None too soon. That looks like a sweet lens. Also, needless to say, I now need a 24mm 1.4 for to make the photography gooder, don't you know.

Disappointed though, I thought they were going to release a new AFS 85 F/1.4. I wanted this solely for the purpose of pushing down prices of the AFD one a bit so I can buy it. Also for the improvering of the etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What are the prices though? Couldn't see them in the press release.

As far as I can tell the 16-35 will be just a slower VR version of the 17-35 which sells for about $1600. Is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

enda1 wrote: »
    What are the prices though? Couldn't see them in the press release.

As far as I can tell the 16-35 will be just a slower VR version of the 17-35 which sells for about $1600. Is this right?

AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR:
    Price: $1259.95
    Available in late February 2010

AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED:
    Price: $2199.95
    Available in late March 2010

yes, slower and VR II, but much smaller and lighter
    nano coating and aspherical elements should perform better on very bright shoots

don't fancy going around with almost a kilo of a lens on an already bloated body
    VR II should make up for low light conditions and (not for fast moving things...)
    but agree, it should have been a tad cheaper to make the difference against the 2.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

The 16-35mm looks nice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Is the removal of apperture rings forever done and dusted?

• Advertisement

Nisio wrote: »
    Is the removal of apperture rings forever done and dusted?

Yep. Except for the existing AIS lenses that Nikon still produces (or are still in stock at any rate) and perhaps some one offs at some point, the aperture ring is gone.

Ironically of course, setting the aperture with the aperture ring is actually more accurate and consistent than setting it on the body but obviously for Nikon the cons outweighed the pros, impossible to dust seal, mechanical failure, the linkage on the camera body which I reckon will be gone at some point on their pro-bodies aswell ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

I wonder will they discontinue the 17-35 2.8? Seems to be out of stock most of the time anyway. warehouseexpress have the Nikon 16-35mm f4 on pre-order for £1049.99. Seems a bit pricey, unless its performance is stellar. Will be interesting to see how it performs versus 18-35 3.5-4.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

24mm 1.4 ftw......dream lens!

pete4130 wrote: »
    24mm 1.4 ftw......dream lens!

big time. It'll also no doubt put a gigantic dent into the used prices for the 28mm f/1.4 which regularly, and inexplicably, go for over €2000 2nd hand ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Time to get saving for the 24mm 1.4 and a D3s I think.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I am going to be all over the 24mm f1.4 like a fat kid on cake! :)

Wonder where in Dublin would be the best place to pre-order it...

Advertisement