Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Decade- CM's

• 09-02-2010 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

okay lets get voting folks.

central midfielders 208 votes

Gerrard
    0% 0 votes
    Roy Keane
    23% 48 votes
    Fabregas
    26% 55 votes
    Scholes
    8% 17 votes
    Lampard
    24% 51 votes
    other
    17% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lucas, Anderson, Djemba-Djemba, Barton and A. Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lucas, Anderson, Djemba-Djemba, Barton and A. Reid.
    They go under other. Will be setting up a seperate City only thread for you xavi. Sorry SWP didnt make it onto yesterdays wingers poll. :rolleyes:

It's ok, I'll be in good company today with the Arsenal and Chelsea fans seeing as there's somehow no Vieira or Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rrrrrrrrrrreal tough one this.

Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas, Vieira, Makelele.

Scholes would get one vote. partially out of bias, partially cause he is or has been an excellent player for us.

I would lean towards either Gerrard or Fabregas for the other position. dunno.

It's ok, I'll be in good company today with the Arsenal and Chelsea fans seeing as there's somehow no Vieira or Essien.
    Yes was going to put in Vierra but he left for Madrid in 2004. Realistically I dont think it will change vote that much. And before strikers are even put up am pretty sure it will be Lampard and Rooney for front two. For me its Lampard and Gerrard here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Arteta for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Yes was going to put in Vierra but he left for Madrid in 2004. Realistically I dont think it will change vote that much. And before strikers are even put up am pretty sure it will be Lampard and Rooney for front two. For me its Lampard and Gerrard here

Juve in 2005.

Lampard up top?

Are you drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Essien?

Vieira left at a similar time as Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As Xavi6 said, serious lack of Essien and Vieira.

I went with Lampard and Other (Essien)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Essien?

Vieira left at a similar time as Keane.

Personally, I think Keane was on a downward slope from 2003. He was still a good, occasionally great player for us, but I just don't think its enough.

As for Essien, my (possibly controversial) opinion is that he has only had two great seasons. I thought he was good/very good in his first season but it took him, understandably, a good few months to settle in and stop trying to end people's careers. His second and third season were excellent - truly excellent, but he missed most of his fourth season through injury and has missed decent enough chunks of this season too.

My votes are based on longevity and impact over time, where there are players that fit.

Juve in 2005.

Lampard up top?

Are you drunk?
    thats right just remembed he turned down a bid. Again Gerrard has been here all ten years. Would put him in top three anyway.
    In world team last year as well. Xavi can remodify the poll to include Essien but think Andy Gray pretty much got it right re the two midfielders

The poll is very much loaded, unless 'Other' is realistically going to a contender for spot in the team. It might as well not be in the poll.

The two spots will be decided amongst the named five so based on that I'll vote Gerrard and Scholes.

The poll is very much loaded, unless 'Other' is realistically going to a contender for spot in the team. It might as well not be in the poll.

The two spots will be decided amongst the named five so based on that I'll vote Gerrard and Scholes.
    Again i think realistically the rest are vying third or fourth spot. Looks to be a two horse race at this stage between Keane and Gerrard. Thought Lampard would be higher up to be honest. Scholes may make a late run here. who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In this decade? Scholes and Gerrard I'd say. With Lampard tight behind. However, Essien has done as much as Keane imo.

okay at this stage, I think thats four for Essien. Ill keep tabs of it. Anyone voting for Essien post re message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Keane hasnt really played since 02/03 so he shouldnt be there also Essien has been injured too much.Makelele should be in there instead. Arteta has played most he football for Everton on the right. I would go for Gerrard, Alonso, Lampard, Makelele and Scholes and Fabregas. With the team of the decade you really have to be true to the way the champions of the era set about ie not putting Lampard & Gerrard in CM together. There has to be a holding player which is clearly Makelele as for the other player it has to be Gerrard for his impact in the games that mattered. Other than that Lampard would probably better him however I dont think Lampard would have rescued Liverpool on so many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Out of that list it has to be Gerrard and Lampard for their longevity throughout the entire decade playing top-class football week-in, week-out for Top 4 sides. No one else on that list even comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Essien and Gerrard easily.

Let Gerrard do what he does best and Essien will clean up any holes left by him.

Warper wrote: »
    Out of that list it has to be Gerrard and Lampard for their longevity throughout the entire decade playing top-class football week-in, week-out for Top 4 sides. No one else on that list even comes close.
    Yes would agree there. Scholes over past two decades has probably been best CM along with Keane, but Lampard has been ever present for Chelsea this decade and has been crucial for them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Total poll fail without Essien and Vieira.

if people keep misbehaving Ill make it a one-man central midfield. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This poll, like the one before it, boggles the mind. No Vieira or Essein?

Scholes has to get one of the positions imo, just such a class player throughout his whole career and even in his twilight years can still change a game.

I don't feel Fabregas has done enough to be in a team of the decade, he's been good, but only really brilliant the past few years.

I'd probably give the other spot to Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,823 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

not a lot of options in the poll i went for Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Makelelé is the stand-out midfielder of the last decade, yet only two people mentioned him? He reinvented the position of DM with his approach over the past decade! An absolute titan of a midget, he was the foundation of all Chelsea's recent success. He's known primarily for his defensive ability, yet he was the start of almost every single Chelsea attacking move too! Absolute quality.

Gerrard ahead of Makelele? You're having a laugh. Sure he can score goals but he gives the ball away far too much. He's having a torrid season without Alonso to do all the spadework for him in midfield. And for the love of God, stop letting him take corners!

Lampard? Bleh... overrated player. Above average midfielder with excellent finishing ability. His all round play isn't good enough to merit a spot on this list imo, the main role of his game is to get on the end of other people's moves. He doesn't even dictate the tempo for Chelsea usually, Essien does this a lot more often.

Keane? His best years were in the 90s. He really fell fast through injuries at the start of this decade. The last three or four years when the legs went he lost his engine, still a good midfielder but not the player he was.

Essien is damn good, but he's not done enough compared with the others. He's got more natural ability than Makelele for sure, but he's not been as reliable and the injuries haven't helped his cause.

Cesc? too soon.

So, my second spot is between Vieira and Scholes. Both were highly creative creative yet not afraid of getting stuck in proper, both well capable of dictating the tempo of a game. Vieira was much better in the tackles, but Scholes has the longevity factor and more trophies, so Scholes it is for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

this poll is a load of shíte tbh

no vieira, as he left in 2005

so did roy keane FFS yet you included him

why no Claude Makélélé?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

no viera is crazy.
    nonetheless, Gerrard and Scholes should win anyway. Gerrard has been the best English player of the last 10 years imo

okay. Am going to leave next to posts for Vierra and Essien. Whoever wants to vote for them put a thanks at the end of the post. Dont think its going to change result though.

Vieira. Place thanks at the bottom of post to vote for him.

• Advertisement

Essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Vierra.

It's Vieira

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A bit of thanks whoring ain't gonna fix this poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I went for Scholes and Lampard, but it was a seriously tough decision. I'd actually forgotten about Makelele until someone mentioned him in the thread, he'd be pushing it very close for me, as would Vieira and Gerrard.

I chose Scholes because throughout the decade he has been such an influential player, and even though he has waned a little in recent years, he still occasionally turns in some incredible performances.

When I voted for the second I was trying to choose between Lamps and Gerrard. If Makelele and Vieira's names were in the poll it might have been different. At their best, I think Gerrard is a better player, but I went for Lampard based on consistency and silverware. This is a poll for EPL player of the decade, and Lampard has had a greater influence in that competition than Gerrard.

From what i can work out. Essien has seven votes or thereabouts. Probably same for Vieira. Think Its looking like Gerrard and Scholesie for two cms at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Makelele also deserves a mention.

Having too many options is grand, sure it was a bit of a joke having Andy Reid in the last poll but at the end of the day he's not going to get in so no harm. I ran one of these polls in the summer and got slated for a lot of the options included but it's better to include some outsiders than leave out some big names. Everyone on the list deserves their nomination in my opinion but the ones left out, wtf?!

I mean Viera! Cmon he was the captain and driving force of arguably the best team of the decade! Makelele was one of the 3 key players in the Chelsea title winning sides. Essien is probably the best all-rounder today. Hasn't achieved enough or been in long enough to warrant my vote, but he certainly deserves a nomination. I know there are plenty on here who would want to vote for him.

To be honest the 'Thanks' thing is just awkward.

Scrap this poll/thread and start again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

worst. poll. ever.

Stevie and Scholsey, closely followed by Lamps, then Makelele, then Cesc, then Vieira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You simply cannot underestimate Other's impact on the game. His versatility is what puts him well above the CMs mentioned.

Morzadec wrote: »
    M

To be honest the 'Thanks' thing is just awkward.

Scrap this poll/thread and start again
    Behave. Its not going to change the result one bit. Gerrard and Scholes have it sewn up. You guys could start an argument in a graveyard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Scholes over Lampard. Lul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Behave. Its not going to change the result one bit. Gerrard and Scholes have it sewn up. You guys could start an argument in a graveyard ;)

Well what if I want to vote for Viera and Makelele? I can only vote once for 'Other'. Therefore my vote isn't being heard.

This is meant to be a democracy. I say no to SOS's fascist regime!

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »

it's only the last two years Scholes has gone a tad downhill.

he doesn't get the goals he used to, but he adapted his game in the latter part of the decade.

it's close, and i think it comes down to personal preference.

neither are bad choices.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Well what if I want to vote for Viera and Makelele? I can only vote once for 'Other'. Therefore my vote isn't being heard.

This is meant to be a democracy. I say no to SOS's fascist regime!
    All votes will be accounted for. And remember there are five slots open on bench. May even nominate a water carrier if it keeps the peace. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kold wrote: »

what are you talking about

Scholes is one of the finest Cm's to grace the PL. Lampard is a great player but not in the same league of scholes in his hay days

“My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.”

“Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest of his generation.”

not my words but the Words on Zidane on scholes 600th game last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Vieira was in the team of the year for 4 of the 5 season he was at Arsenal in the decade yet he's not in the poll?

So much fail.

JPA wrote: »
    Vieira was in the team of the year for 4 of the 5 season he was at Arsenal in the decade yet he's not in the poll?

So much fail.
    Yes but he has been out of sight for last five. He can bring the water on during extra time if it keeps you happy :rolleyes:

Yes but he has been out of sight for last five. He can bring the water on during extra time if it keeps you happy :rolleyes:

So why did you include keane? He lasted 5 games more than Keane and was not at his best for at least 1 full season prior to that.

No good reason to have ommited Vieira imo.

So why did you include keane? He lasted 5 games more than Keane and was not at his best for at least 1 full season prior to that.

or Essien.

or Makelele.

I don't know how you can have Fabregas and not Vieira, ya know, Vieira who was captain of a title winning side twice in the decade, in the team of the year 4 times in the decade.

Was nothing stopping mod from putting it in. Cant readjust the poll myself once it was set. Do you really think it would have changed the result. Vierra was good in early part of decade but he left midway through. No way does he get it over Gerrard, Scholes or Lampard.

Was nothing stopping mod from putting it in. Cant readjust the poll myself once it was set. Do you really think it would have changed the result. Vierra was good in early part of decade but he left midway through. No way does he get it over Gerrard, Scholes or Lampard.

Vieira was a better CM than Lampard has ever been. I'm not knocking Lampard but he has never been the dominating player Vieira was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement