Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Decade- CM's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

JPA wrote: »
    Vieira was a better CM than Lampard has ever been. I'm not knocking Lampard but he has never been the dominating player Vieira was.
    Yes but Lampard has been ever present in that Chelsea team throughout the decade. Not blaming Vieira for leaving but can we vote for a guy who wasnt in premiership for half of the period we are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yes but Lampard has been ever present in that Chelsea team throughout the decade. Not blaming Vieira for leaving but can we vote for a guy who wasnt in premiership for half of the period we are talking about.

You seem to think so as you have Keane in the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Scholes and Gerrard, though Lampard came very close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Such as the likes of Evra, Lennon, Clichy, A Young, Sagna, Ronaldo and Fabregas?

All of whom you included?

JPA wrote: »
    You seem to think so as you have Keane in the poll.
    Yes but Keane made it into Andy Grays team which is why I left him in. If mod wants to go through the hassle of resetting poll he can do so but again I just dont see it making it that big a difference to final result. And to be fair there was more of a consultative process here then with EPL team of the year where players who played only half a term (like Ronaldo) got into team. Anyway posters start thinking about your forwards. Going up tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yes but Keane made it into Andy Grays team which is why I left him in. If mod wants to go through the hassle of resetting poll he can do so but again I just dont see it making it that big a difference to final result.

Firstly what has Andy Gray got to do with anything?
    Secondly by saying ah sure it'll make no difference and having so few choices you are setting the poll to your own preferences, rather then what the posters are actually saying to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's ok, I'll be in good company today with the Arsenal and Chelsea fans seeing as there's somehow no Vieira or Essien.

And yet Keane is in there!!!!

For crying out loud, what is the point in leaving out players who were in there prime in the last decade and including Keane, who clearly wasn't!

These polls were a good idea but, I have to say your selections have been extremely questionble!

Here's links to 2 team of the decade articles in which Vieira was picked!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/12/ever_had_a_hospital_pass.html

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/17/1387845/premier-league-team-of-the-decade-2000-2010

jasonorr wrote: »
    And yet Keane is in there!!!!

For crying out loud, what is the point in leaving out players who were in there prime in the last decade and including Keane, who clearly wasn't!

These polls were a good idea but, I have to say your selections have been extremely questionble!

Here's links to 2 team of the decade articles in which Vieira was picked!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/12/ever_had_a_hospital_pass.html

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/17/1387845/premier-league-team-of-the-decade-2000-2010
    jaysus lads. Will we go through every single poll to find gaps in it. Team of the year was full of flaws IMO as we had players being included when they left during the summer. Vierra can start on the bench.

jaysus lads. Will we go through ever single poll to find gaps in it. Team of the year was full of flaws IMO as we had players being included when they left during the summer. Vierra can start on the bench.

If you keep leaving players out, then yes!

Vieira on the bench? No, I reckon he'd be getting the majority of Scholes' votes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

jaysus lads. Will we go through every single poll to find gaps in it. Team of the year was full of flaws IMO as we had players being included when they left during the summer. Vierra can start on the bench.

ha.

people only keep going because you keep trying to defend the poll.

the more you do that, the more people will ridicule it.

yes, a mod could adjust it. but it's probably kind of late now unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Will we go through every single poll to find gaps in it.

Surely that's the point? To debate the best team of the decade, no? Or are we to just meekly accept whatever drivel the likes of Andy Gray try to shovel down our throats and leave it at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Maybe a good way to pick the nominees would be to go through the EPL team of the year for the last 10 years, and put every CM mentioned in it on the nominations list. It'd be better than someone just picking names off the top of their head, with little to no research done

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ThreadFail.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

where in ****ting crikey is viera and essien?

stoopid poll is stoopid

edit - lock & forget this thread. start again tomorow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

So much fail. So much fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yes but Keane made it into Andy Grays team which is why I left him in.

Best laugh I've had all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I put Keane down and am going to pretend he's essien :P
    and Lampard gets my second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

For the last poll I think it'd be far more successful if the thread was open (without a poll) for people to make nominations, have a bit of debate about who deserves to get on. Then after a page or two of posts a mod edits the thread to add a poll that has the most frequent nominations. There's a flaw in one person picking the nominations, there will always be a few omissions.

Scholesie making a late run in the votes. Yes if it so happens Keane edges out Gerrard for second spot start from scratch :D

Scholesie making a late run in the votes. Yes if it so happens Keane edges out Gerrard for second spot start from scratch :D

just close it now and start again. this one is crap

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    just close it now and start again. this one is crap
    jazzy you have to be the narciest poster of all time. A poster without a cause. Get a grip will ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh man this is tough. Keane and Gerrard.

Although it could've easily been Lampard/Fab.

jazzy you have to be the narciest poster of all time. A poster without a cause. Get a grip will ya ;)

im fukin right though. you've made a sh1t poll and it wouldnt surprise me if those obvious exceptions were left out just so you can see gerrard on the team because if gerrard doesnt get there, no liverpool players will.

Essien & Viera have been crucial to the success of two teams. in fact, when viera left, arsenal stopped winning trophies... thats how important he was.

WHY ISNT HE THERE BAYVIEWCLOSE? answer me that and ill stop taking the piss out of your crappy poll

im fukin right though. you've made a sh1t poll and it wouldnt surprise me if those obvious exceptions were left out just so you can see gerrard on the team because if gerrard doesnt get there, no liverpool players will.

Essien & Viera have been crucial to the success of two teams. in fact, when viera left, arsenal stopped winning trophies... thats how important he was.

WHY ISNT HE THERE BAYVIEWCLOSE? answer me that and ill stop taking the piss out of your crappy poll
    Why isnt he there. Ask Wenger that. Not disputing his talent but again he was only there five years. The bigger issue is why Fabregas and Lampard are not featuring more prominently here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Keane - dominated the prem for 10 years!! a travesty if he isn't in it!!

Other spot would be Gerrard or Fabregas

Why isnt he there. Ask Wenger that. Not disputing his talent but again he was only there five years. The bigger issue is why Fabregas and Lampard are not featuring more prominently here.

fabregas has been in the PL for f**k all as well. p1ss poor excuse. did andy gray not mention viera or something? i think im right with the gerrard thing and your crap excuse has only justified that.
    and yes it is a crap excuse.. either that or your opinions on football are worth f**k all. up to you which (heres a little winky for you too <3) ;)

close your retarded poll and start another tomorow with the correct players in it... otherwise, the whole thing will be a farce wont it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Keane - dominated the prem for 10 years!! a travesty if he isn't in it!!

Other spot would be Gerrard or Fabregas

his best years, imo, were 95 on to 2003. with 9 being the peak i feel. You could argue he dominated for 10 years, but not for the last 10 years and not for much of those years either imo.

okay lads you can vote if you want another poll. For those complaining about the lack of democracy here.

fabregas has been in the PL for f**k all as well. p1ss poor excuse. did andy gray not mention viera or something? i think im right with the gerrard thing and your crap excuse has only justified that.
    and yes it is a crap excuse.. either that or your opinions on football are worth f**k all. up to you which (heres a little winky for you too <3) ;)

close your retarded poll and start another tomorow with the correct players in it... otherwise, the whole thing will be a farce wont it?
    Hasn't Fabregas been in the Prem for 6 years, and been a class talent for all of that. I would say for the last 2 and a half seasons he has been right up there - arguable as the best in the league. Before that he was freaking good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

This poll is ridiculous. Of those choices it has to be Lampard. He has been consistently brilliant for Chelsea since 2002. That's 8 years. Gerrard has been explosive on many occasions but drifts in and out of games far too much. He's nowhere near as consistent. Then you have Fabregas there! WTF??? He's only been lighting up the premiership for the last few years, not a decade. Keane is more of a 90's star and Scholes wasn't firing on all cylinders in the last half of the decade.

I think with this poll most people are just picking the player that plays for the team they support. Therefore it's impossible to conduct a fair poll seeing as most people support either Liverpool or United. Most people hate Chelsea and Frank Lampard and this is why he hasn't got more votes. I'm not a Chelsea fan either btw.

• Advertisement

This poll is ridiculous. Of those choices it has to be Lampard. He has been consistently brilliant for Chelsea since 2002. That's 8 years. Gerrard has been explosive on many occasions but drifts in and out of games far too much. He's nowhere near as consistent. Then you have Fabregas there! WTF??? He's only been lighting up the premiership for the last few years, not a decade. Keane is more of a 90's star and Scholes wasn't firing on all cylinders in the last half of the decade.

I think with this poll most people are just picking the player that plays for the team they support. Therefore it's impossible to conduct a fair poll seeing as most people support either Liverpool or United. Most people hate Chelsea and Frank Lampard and this is why he hasn't got more votes. I'm not a Chelsea fan either btw.
    Well im not too fond of chelsea either but voted for Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Polls are too much for this guy, I think it's time to leave it to the experts.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Polls are too much for this guy, I think it's time to leave it to the experts.

You gonna do a proper one?

jasonorr wrote: »
    You gonna do a proper one?
    He can finish what he started. Anyways, I didn't say I was an expert. ;)

Hasn't Fabregas been in the Prem for 6 years, and been a class talent for all of that. I would say for the last 2 and a half seasons he has been right up there - arguable as the best in the league. Before that he was freaking good too.

yeah of course, im not disputing that. but the impression i was getting was that viera was in it for f**k all so couldnt be counted, which is a load of bullsh1t. fabregas has had what, a year more then him? this poll just reminds me of Rob Schneider... DURP!

and id be 100% confident that this particular part of the poll has been rigged by the creator in a very vain effort to get a liverpool player on the team. he'll deny it, but the smart people will know WINKYEYESMILEY DURRR!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    He can finish what he started. Anyways, I didn't say I was an expert. ;)
    I gave mod options ages of go of putting in Vieira and anyone else. Its a pain Poll cant be amended. Would cut out an awful lot of grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I gave mod options ages of go of putting in Vierra and anyone else. Its a pain Poll cant be amended. Would cut out an awful lot of grief.

:D

I gave mod options ages of go of putting in Vierra and anyone else. Its a pain Poll cant be amended. Would cut out an awful lot of grief.
    Usually a bit of research before you post the poll wouldn't go astray.

yeah of course, im not disputing that. but the impression i was getting was that viera was in it for f**k all so couldnt be counted, which is a load of bullsh1t. fabregas has had what, a year more then him? this poll just reminds me of Rob Schneider... DURP!

and id be 100% confident that this particular part of the poll has been rigged by the creator in a very vain effort to get a liverpool player on the team. he'll deny it, but the smart people will know WINKYEYESMILEY DURRR!
    How can i rig vote. Gerrard got into two polls as best midfielder with Vieira included. Thats just being stupid. No one is denying Gerrards class here. Take a look at the voting. Your worst moment ever. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Headshot wrote: »

Scholes is one of the finest Cm's to grace the PL. Lampard is a great player but not in the same league of scholes in his hay days

Lampard came 2nd in the European footballer of the year poll one year I think which is far better than any of Scholes' haydays

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Lampard came 2nd in the European footballer of the year poll one year I think which is far better than any of Scholes' haydays

He actually came 2nd in the world player of the year. It's pretty funny how a lot of people overlook him.

Edit: And you are right, he did come 2nd in the European player of the year award as well.

Headshot wrote: »
    Scholes is one of the finest Cm's to grace the PL. Lampard is a great player but not in the same league of scholes in his hay days

Don't get me wrong, I think Scholes should be up there as well but he was more dominant in the late 90's-early 00's period. Lampard was dominant throughout the whole decade. That's why I voted for him.

looking like an all red midfield the way things are going anyway. Still a good way to go unless Jazzy puts in an injunction beforehand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Paddy V how he isn't even in the poll is a joke...and its ridiculous how united won't vote gerrard/Lampard and vice versa for Pool fans regarding Keane/Scholes...My own Votes Would be Vieira and Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

PHB wrote: »
    In this decade? Scholes and Gerrard I'd say. With Lampard tight behind. However, Essien has done as much as Keane in this decade imo

Fixed.

Essien and Gerrard easily.

Let Gerrard do what he does best and Essien will clean up any holes left by him.

Just pick the two best full stop, whether they would work as a combination in reality is irrelevant.

I went with Gerrard and Lampard as the two who made the biggest impact in this decade. For me Lampard absolutely has to be there, he has been consistently outstanding for Chelsea for 7 or 8 years now, scoring 20 goals per season from midfield. He even went 3 seasons in a row without missing a single premier league game, which is unheard of nowadays. Gerrard at his best carried Liverpool through games and they'd be in a much worse position the last few years without him.

Keane in his heyday would have topped the poll by a mile but the nineties was probably more his decade.

But for consistent excellence through this decade it has to be Lampard. (and I'm not a Chelsea fan)

• Advertisement

Roy Keane only played half the decade :confused:

How can i rig vote. Gerrard got into two polls as best midfielder with Vieira included. Thats just being stupid. No one is denying Gerrards class here. Take a look at the voting. Your worst moment ever. ;)

jesus your slow

Paddy V how he isn't even in the poll is a joke...and its ridiculous how united won't vote gerrard/Lampard and vice versa for Pool fans regarding Keane/Scholes...My own Votes Would be Vieira and Gerrard.

i voted Gerrard, i'm sure you'll find other United fans voted for himself or Lampard too.

My votes went to Scholes and Gerrard.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm a united fan and would vote scholes and Vieira.

Much as it pains me to say, Arsenal's unbeaten league campaign was the finest league campaign I've witnessed as a football fan and he was at the heart of it.

Saying that though this poll is a total farce from the word go so I couldn't give a bollox what the outcome is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and mine went to Scholes and Gerrard.

although the argument for Lampard a few posts up is excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement