Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Decade- CM's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes getting very interesting now. What odds an all United midfield?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yes getting very interesting now.

No. No it's not. Cut your losses, ask for the thread to be closed and do it properly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

So, what happens if 3 players tie? Change to a 4-5-1?:pac:

No. No it's not. Cut your losses, ask for the thread to be closed and do it properly tomorrow.

You didn't check when the poll is closing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No Jimmy Bullard option?
    I'm out.

Thats down to the mod. Again there was nothing stopping mod putting in Vierra early on. At this stage dont really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thats down to the mod. Again there was nothing stopping mod putting in Vierra early on.

It was down to you to request it.
    At this stage dont really care.

Like everyone else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Went for Gerrard and Scholes.

Scholes has been immense for us for a decade and a half. He's probably the best at controlling the tempo of the game I've ever witnessed. His movement is just unbelieveable.

Went for Gerrard ahead of Lampard largely due to him carrying (for lack of a better word) Liverpool at times. Yeah Lampard has been brilliant, but it was a lot easier for him in the last decade when he had Makelele/Essien doing all the donkey work. Only in the last few years has Stevie been pushed further and further up field.

People seriously need to relax around here. Who cares if the poll options don't suit your idealistic views, it's just a bit of fun, no trophies are being awarded to the players that win.

What's so difficult about just picking the option that you like most from the list provided, without trying to start an argument over something so trivial.

People seriously need to relax around here. Who cares if the poll options don't suit your idealistic views, it's just a bit of fun, no trophies are being awarded to the players that win.

What's so difficult about just picking the option that you like most from the list provided, without trying to start an argument over something so trivial.
    you would think so wouldn't you. There was a lot I didnt agree with in team of the year poll but hardly a huge deal. Its supposed to be a bit of fun but never works out that way around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

you would think so wouldn't you. There was a lot I didnt agree with in team of the year poll but hardly a huge deal. Its supposed to be a bit of fun but never works out that way around here.

Suggestion earlier for all players that made the team of the seasons to be included was a good one. There's no point making a poll if you're going to just leave out obvious options because you don't deem them worthy because of your own flawed logic!

• Advertisement

I don't anyone is disagreeing with any potential result. I think people are wondering why you left out key players. Completely defeats the purpose if certain top players are left out.

I don't anyone is disagreeing with any potential result. I think people are wondering why you left out key players. Completely defeats the purpose if certain top players are left out.
    any glaring omissions on this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784162

and as for this one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790937

I could go on and on. Some folks lets things go. Others dont. Its that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thats down to the mod. Again there was nothing stopping mod putting in Vierra early on. At this stage dont really care.

for the very last time it's Vieira.

ffs, seriously, you're not doing yourself any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What has that got to do with it? That lists every decent Premier League striker from the year 2009. - while you've managed to pick just five central midfielders from the whole bloody decade.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What has that got to do with it? That lists every decent Premier League striker from the year 2009. - while you've managed to pick just five central midfielders from the whole bloody decade.
    So tevez wasnt a decent striker last year. Are you really saying that?

any glaring omissions on this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784162

and as for this one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790937

I could go on and on. Some folks lets things go. Others dont. Its that simple.
    No - but notice how there's more than 5 and the effort that was put in to highlight players outside the top four that should be considered due to their efforts in carrying a team.

Scott Parker has been an excellent midfielder for whatever team he plays for for example - fair enough while not with the best he should be represented in any poll of midfielders for how he single-handedly and consistently carries teams.

People want to discuss this - that is not being disputed - but if you're going to do something, do it right, or don't bother at all.

No - but notice how there's more than 5 and the effort that was put in to highlight players outside the top four that should be considered due to their efforts in carrying a team.

Scott Parker has been an excellent midfielder for whatever team he plays for for example - fair enough while not with the best he should be represented in any poll of midfielders for how he single-handedly and consistently carries teams.

People want to discuss this - that is not being disputed - but if you're going to do something, do it right, or don't bother at all.
    And yet no one made any bones about a forward poll that was missing Tevez. Where it was a lot less harder to leave him out really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

very very very different to leaving out Vieira and Makelele, not to mention Essien, in a poll of the decade's best midfielders.

Tevez was not good last year for United, and just started coming good for City at the end of '09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Of course he deserves a mention ahead of one or two, but that still doesn't back your point. There's three times as many options in the poll then in 1/10 of the time spell associated with yours.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Of course he deserves a mention ahead of one or two, but that still doesn't back your point. There's three times as many options in the poll then in 1/10 of the time spell associated with yours.
    okay there is a possible way around this. Purely for sake of argument. Put the top two up against Vieira, Makelele and whoever else and see how they fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm astonished by OP's confidence or stupidity to continue posting after this shambles of a thread

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm astonished by OP's confidence or stupidity to continue posting after this shambles of a thread
    as opposed to this one?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823602

Irrelevant. That thread concept makes perfect sense. This one does not.

Irrelevant. That thread concept makes perfect sense. This one does not.
    cant see people wanting to go to the effort of voting again. Its up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

That thread is word for word gold;).

This thread is like I stepped into Fuc*ing ametuer hour. It a failure of epic epic proportions.

• Advertisement

cant see people wanting to go to the effort of voting again. Its up to them.
    Probably not after losing the will to live having seen this one, no.

Probably not after losing the will to live having seen this one, no.
    I feel your pain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's Keane for me, Lampard after that. Gerrard is a good player but he's not really in the same class, I know Liverpool fans will argue that I'm wrong but I feel his general command of the midfield isn't what it should be, and how come there's no Viera on the shortlist? Surely he has to be one of the better CM's in the PL over the last 10 years.

Glazers Out!

I feel your pain :rolleyes:
    Bit strange given that you caused it.

Bit strange given that you caused it.
    swear to god if Gerrard loses out here, pain will reach a whole new level.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Are you for real?
    He doesn't deserve to be voted as the best CM over the last ten years. He's in with a shout only down to the amount of Pool fans there are on here voting for him, on merit he's not even a top 3 candidate.

Glazers Out!

Sums it up tbh.

nullzero wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    He doesn't deserve to be voted as the best CM over the last ten years. He's in with a shout only down to the amount of Pool fans there are on here voting for him, on merit he's not even a top 3 candidate.
    I have heard it all now. Feel a whole lot better after hearing that :D

°°°°°

I have heard it all now. Feel a whole lot better after hearing that :D

You've heard it all?
    Funny.
    He's won f all.
    Logic says that Keane, Viera and Lampard are streets ahead of Gerrard.
    If Gerrard was the captain of my club I'd love him too, but you have to be realistic.
    I think Keane was one of the best of his era, he wasn't better than Zidane though. You can be as sentimental as you like, the facts remain the facts.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lampard and Gerrard for me.

Very surprised Lampard does not have more votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nullzero, facts being facts, Gerrard has won pretty much everything but the league in this decade. Not that him winning anything is at all relevant. I believe you'll find that there'll be many United fans who will vote gerrard in too, he is an outstanding player and certainly one of the best of our generation. People like Zidane have said as much, and i think he knows wat he is talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Lampard and Gerrard for me.

Very surprised Lampard does not have more votes.
    C'mon how are you surprised, you have posted here for a while.

°°°°°

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nullzero, facts being facts, Gerrard has won pretty much everything but the league in this decade. Not that him winning anything is at all relevant. I believe you'll find that there'll be many United fans who will vote gerrard in too, he is an outstanding player and certainly one of the best of our generation. People like Zidane have said as much, and i think he knows wat he is talking about.

He is a top player. He's just not up there with keane Viera Lampard etc...
    Thats the point I was making. All of those players have won leagues. Winning cups is a lot easier than winning a league title.
    Gerrard is Pool's best player of the last two decades hands down, he's just not at the very pinnacle of the game in the way those other players are or have been. It's not a case of me having a go at him, it just cannot be said that he's better than those players, he just isn't.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

CHD wrote: »
    C'mon how are you surprised, you have posted here for a while.

;)

gerrard is not at the top tier of players. **** sake, i've heard it all now. lack of a premier league title is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Mr Alan wrote: »
    gerrard is not at the top tier of players. **** sake, i've heard it all now. lack of a premier league title is irrelevant.

That's my opinion, yes.
    No need to get so touchy about it.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    He is a top player. He's just not up there with keane Viera Lampard etc...
    Thats the point I was making. All of those players have won leagues. Winning cups is a lot easier than winning a league title.
    Gerrard is Pool's best player of the last two decades hands down, he's just not at the very pinnacle of the game in the way those other players are or have been. It's not a case of me having a go at him, it just cannot be said that he's better than those players, he just isn't.

:pac:

i'm not touchy about it, but lets be clear in recognising you'd be in a minority in thinking that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Kold wrote: »
    Scholes over Lampard. Lul.

Scholes

/thread.

But Gerrard can't really be said to be world class as a midfielder. He is as a striker, which is where he plays. ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

d22ontour wrote: »
    Scholes

/thread.

The bias in you is strong my child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

But Gerrard can't really be said to be world class as a midfielder. He is as a striker, which is where he plays. ;-)

But we play a 4-5-1. With the 1 being Torres/ N'Gog.

You could argue then that when Scholes was playing his best he was basically a striker since he was so attacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    But we play a 4-5-1. With the 1 being Torres/ N'Gog.

Rafa plays 4-2-3-1 most of the time, it's been his main formation since his days with Valencia. In that formation Gerrard plays the support striker / in the hole / advanced playmaker role. It's not the same as playing CM, he plays higher up the pitch and has little to no defensive responsibilities. Gerrard hasn't played CM in years and looks out of place when asked to these days.

actually he's has played in an orthodox CM role a bit over the last couple of seasons and been excellent in it. He is an attacking midfielder now, no doubt, but he still deserves his place in this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, Gerrard is an utterly different player to Keane or Vieira. Lampard is similar to him, and I guess he was similar to Scholes, but to compare them is silly.

Lots of people would say Keane is the best United player, lots would say Scholes. Depends on what they consider important.
    Keane was a captain and made his team better, while Scholes was the better player individually. Who do you pick?

Advertisement