Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the surfer community

Options
  • 09-02-2010 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

The surfers of boards.ie are awfully quiet.

To combat this I suggest the following...

State:
    • How long you have been surfing.
    • Where your favourite spot is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I've been surfing for a little over 3 years now.

My favourite spot is Achill Island Co. Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

naming spots :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

NickDrake wrote: »
    naming spots :eek:

If anyone didn't know where Achill is then there's no chance of them making it to <censored super sekrit wave spot that works in all conditions> ;)

2 years and surf in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Most of the surfing community were pi55ed off by the boards.ie policy and the actions of the mods some time ago. A lack of understanding the basis of surfing etiquette, adopted all over the world, led to backs being turned. Yet many on here patted themselves on the back.

As such very little information is provided by previously helpful and knowledgeable surfers who USED to post on here.

Most of the surfing community were pi55ed off by the boards.ie policy and the actions of the mods some time ago. A lack of understanding the basis of surfing etiquette, adopted all over the world, led to backs being turned. Yet many on here patted themselves on the back.

As such very little information is provided by previously helpful and knowledgeable surfers who USED to post on here.

Thats the reason this forum is so quiet and lacks experienced heads.

Unfortunately those that left no longer have a voice on what is essentially the most popular discussion board in Ireland. It is usually the first port of call for online kooks wanting to give surfing a go or beginners looking for board advise. Where does that leave them?
    I think the dust has settled by now, the back patters have gone to other forums and those that threw a fit at the mods/admins have long gone. But this place still needs old hats to throw their 2c into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Been surfing about five years now.

First surf in the Magherees so I have fond memories of there. I landed in Achill once and had a day-of-days, but I usually stick to the main beaches along the North West coast - Strandhill, Streedagh, Bundoran, Rossknowlagh. I ended up North one year and surfed around Gweebarra. I visit Brittany twice a year and always hit La Torche but I'm not telling yis my secret spot along the East Coast :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kodute wrote: »
    Thats the reason this forum is so quiet and lacks experienced heads.

Unfortunately those that left no longer have a voice on what is essentially the most popular discussion board in Ireland. It is usually the first port of call for online kooks wanting to give surfing a go or beginners looking for board advise. Where does that leave them?
    I think the dust has settled by now, the back patters have gone to other forums and those that threw a fit at the mods/admins have long gone. But this place still needs old hats to throw their 2c into the mix.

So long as the map is still up it won't - even came to a head when some guy who wouldn't swim was asking for advice and was told you'll be fine by somebody who didn't know what they were talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

If anyone didn't know where Achill is then there's no chance of them making it to <censored super sekrit wave spot that works in all conditions> ;)

2 years and surf in Clare.

I was taking the piss

So long as the map is still up it won't - even came to a head when some guy who wouldn't swim was asking for advice and was told you'll be fine by somebody who didn't know what they were talking about.

I remember that thread... :eek:

You mean so long as its a sticky on the top of the forum warning away people who consider it bad etiquette.
    Sorry for keeping this thread off topic but its an issue that keeps arising and needs re-examining for the growth of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Sorry, but that's the way it is, this was all hammered out amidst a lot of blood, sweat and tears a number of years back. If anyone wants to enquire about "The Map" please do so on the Help Desk.
    So long as the map is still up it won't - even came to a head when some guy who wouldn't swim was asking for advice and was told you'll be fine by somebody who didn't know what they were talking about

I remember that, but in fairness there were a bunch of people who contradicted him almost straight away.

On topic: I've been surfing 3 years, my favourite spots are bits of Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

3 years and I surf the fat lumps down in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Oh, I see..
    Thanks for the explaination..

I just thought it was a little quiet really..

Anyone know of great spots on the east coast???
    Cue won't share! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I've been surfing just over a year, my favourite spot is Rossknowlagh. Heading to Morrocco on Saturday so that might change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Why what happened exactly? Been on this forum for over a year or so now and don't remember any big bust up. Remember there was one or two using the forum as their own little advert board, was that what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Meatwad wrote: »
    Why what happened exactly? Been on this forum for over a year or so now and don't remember any big bust up. Remember there was one or two using the forum as their own little advert board, was that what happened?

eh no you might be able to find the thread in google archives but i dont think its on boards

it was amssive massive argument and heated debate about the naming of secret spots / dangerous spots on the forum for all to see and a map that show exactly were they were

at the time i agreed with boards having spoken to seriously experienced since about the reasoning behind secret spots and localism i now agree with them

the majority of surfers iv met (seriously into it guys now not your weekend warriors absolutely no offence to anyone intended) have extremely valid reasons against this policy and there will never be a serious surfer community on boards as a result which is detrimental to the users of boards but not really detrimental to the general surfer community in ireland imo

Meatwad wrote: »

Link to feedback thread. Its a long read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Been surfing since I was 7, so that makes it .................29 years. My absolute favorite spot is back Stateside in Maryland, but over here I like just about all the spots between Westport and Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

hi Donal , r u going way turfnsurf crew.... fav spots are Rossnowlagh, Bundoran, and a few gems up north Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Im sure there are plenty of new surfers who have joined up since the whole Boards.ie fall out with the surfers who would have plenty of advice to offer to newbies like me.

Midlands Surfer, 2years, slow learner, barely standing but loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've never understood this localism ****e. as a skater, first and foremost whenever I find spots, I'd be sure to tell people, so they can go enjoy it too. in my admittedly short experience of surfing, there seems to be no sense of community. It's not that I'm not looking out where people are and getting in their way, I've read about surfing etiquette. surfers just seem genuinely more unfriendly. explain localism:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

explain localism:D

localism and 'secret spots' are different. as it has been explained to me,

localism is a result of people living beside breaks 24/7 and being out there day in day out in the **** times and the better times and then when it gets to the month or two where the conditions work for their spot 50-100 people turn up who are never there and basically the people who live there cant get any waves

i dont particularly agree with this

the idea behind secret spots is slightly different although it can be because of the crowding thing too usually it is because these spots are dangerous and when you are ready for them someone will introduce them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've been "surfing" about 18 months. Although standing up on the board is still a challenge most of the time.
    A few of my mates started a few years ago and my wife then started. We were going on surfing weekends so I decided to start.
    Am from Achill but dont get home that often but I do love the breaks there. Also surf in Lahinch.
    Have "surfed" in Doonbeg, Banna Strand, Rossnowlagh, Enniscrone, strandhill and a couple of spots in Hawaii.
    I have to admit my favourite spot was Hawaii (Waikiki beach) mostly because of the weather and the amount of times I was able to stand on the board.......

I really dont get out enough to get better at it but hopefully will get out a bit more this year.

I dont really get the whole "war" over the naming of "spots". Most spots are very well known anyway and the ones that arent generally arent that accessible or safe for those who are in-experienced. Being from Achill and having experienced the dangers of the sea first hand its something I treat with respect.
    It is ironic that I lived for 18 years within 10 minutes walk of one of the best surfing beaches in the country but only started surfing when my permanent home was a 2 hour drive away. Ah well......

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

OldGuysRule+1
    This forum is moderated by people that support the naming of quiet spots.
    This is not in the best interests of the wider surfing community, and as a result those that used to post here use other surfing forums that respect an internationally observed code of ettiquite regarding the naming of quiet spots.
    But as per the threads mentioned above, this policy has been argued to death and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

on topic, surfing 9 years sponged for about 5 years before that.
    favourite spot: south west oz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OldGuysRule+1
    This forum is moderated by people that support the naming of quiet spots.
    This is not in the best interests of the wider surfing community, and as a result those that used to post here use other surfing forums that respect an internationally observed code of ettiquite regarding the naming of quiet spots.
    But as per the threads mentioned above, this policy has been argued to death and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

on topic, surfing 9 years sponged for about 5 years before that.
    favourite spot: south west oz
    If the old guys rule was upheld to a T, there'd be no new guys into the sport, including this current generation of "old guys".
    That however is a discussion for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

I've never understood this localism ****e. as a skater, first and foremost whenever I find spots, I'd be sure to tell people, so they can go enjoy it too. in my admittedly short experience of surfing, there seems to be no sense of community. It's not that I'm not looking out where people are and getting in their way, I've read about surfing etiquette. surfers just seem genuinely more unfriendly. explain localism:D

You cannot make comparison between the 2 sports in relation to what is being talked about,Internet and Surfing does'nt work becuase of the naming of secret spots.I also snowboard and use forums for that,it's great,we have a section on a forum i use called Trip Reports,basically people start threads with pics and reports about places they have been,some include google earth and gps tracking to show elevation gain etc.
    That would never happen on here or any internet site for surfing,why? only 1 person per wave,you can fit alot of people on a mountain and all you need is your leg to get going on a skateboard.
    I'm from the west and have been surfing long time,just recently joined boards and have also just read that distasteful thread,i don't feel like contributing much to this forum.

I spent the best part of a year studying maps and travelling to a remote part of the west of ireland to find a particular wave,it was hard to get to and required alot of planning,me and a few guys kept it to ourselves for 2 winters,the wave is epic.But word got out,we found it so hard to keep it to ourselves,gradually more and more guys found out.
    Now on a good day it's semi crowded,generally only by core surfers.
    But i have been living abroad the last few years and went back there last winter and got vibes from all these lads from another county thinking it was their wave! anyways surfers will be surfers,selfish and it wont change,so get used to it,get out there and do some work,learn the ocean toporaphy,swell dircetion,tides etc etc dont be waiting for someone to put it on a plate for ya

What would people on here think of a poll to decide if the maps should remain a sticky?

Its been a long time since the mod threatening BS and subsequent feedback mess and it also seems quite a few members here would like to see some change.

I realise the thread was stuck by a Cmod or admin or something but surely if the members of this forum get to decide it will be better for all who post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What would people on here think of a poll to decide if the maps should remain a sticky?

Its been a long time since the mod threatening BS and subsequent feedback mess and it also seems quite a few members here would like to see some change.

I realise the thread was stuck by a Cmod or admin or something but surely if the members of this forum get to decide it will be better for all who post here?

Feel free to do so, but that is something for the Feedback forum and not for here as it's a decision for the admins of the site, not for the mods of this forum. I have no problem with change, but discussions on this topic have always been really messy in the past and I'm sure no-one wants to see that happen again.

cornbb wrote: »
    Feel free to do so, but that is something for the Feedback forum and not for here as it's a decision for the admins of the site, not for the mods of this forum. I have no problem with change, but discussions on this topic have always been really messy in the past and I'm sure no-one wants to see that happen again.

I completely agree; messiness to be avoided. But why is this a topic for feedback? Should it not be the decision of the surfing forum what gets put up in it as opposed to the admins, especially when it directly concerns this forum and nobody else?

TBH I was hoping for more feedback like the SD/MA forum did. Members and mods only. I have a feeling if more threads are started in Feedback on this issue it'll turn ugly with people who don't care about the issues throwing crazy opinions around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

cornbb wrote: »

To put it simply as possible there are enough banker brakes where you will get a wave posted on line for the masses.
    These attract a crown, sometimes you end up having to cope with people who drop in or who shouldn't be there because they aren't ready for a break of that type... it can be a pain - that was my experience last weekend.

We all have spots that are quite as that aren't that well know, we'd share them with a few friends, if you get to know people and earn a bit of respect / trust you'll be show them bit by bit ... but it's taboo to over expose them by telling everybody about them or posting them on line - that's why so long a boards has the map up there won't manyestablished surfer here.

Also if the surfing forum had followed the charter of the extreme sport forum not of this would have happened
    http://wwe.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58284

The idea behind the original map was a windup to antagonise surfer by saying it was going to list secret sports – it was done by what most people believe was the last moderator under a different user name – it’s of such poor quality I wouldn’t worry about the content but I do object to what it stands for.

A poll was suggested before and thrown back, so I’ll put it another way, if you as the mod of the surfing forum want to see it thrive then you need to get the map taken down and show some respect for the normal rules. It’s been noticed by more than one person that there is 90% beginners here and no community

Advertisement