Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the surfer community

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Under normal circumstances me or the other mod could do as we see fit, but there was such a big blow-up last time that the admins (including the owners of the site) got involved so these decisions were made over our heads.

I agree that the users of this forum should have the biggest say in what happens. Let me talk to the other mod and think about what would be the best approach to this. Let me be clear, I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with an overblown heated discussion, so if we do go ahead and talk about this, please keep cool heads. Sit tight and I'll get back to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

cornbb wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances me or the other mod could do as we see fit, but there was such a big blow-up last time that the admins (including the owners of the site) got involved so these decisions were made over our heads.

I agree that the users of this forum should have the biggest say in what happens. Let me talk to the other mod and think about what would be the best approach to this. Let me be clear, I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with an overblown heated discussion, so if we do go ahead and talk about this, please keep cool heads. Sit tight and I'll get back to ye.

Fair enough but please keep in mind that a poll is pointless there would be enough beginners and those that know nothing about surfing to vote to keep it but that won’t bring back established surfers.

And yes the guy who made the threats was just as much of a plank as the guy who put up the map but it should never have been allowed to stay up under the board charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

To be perfectly honest, I and many other other new surfers couldnt give a damn nor care less what happened previously on these boards,
    what would be cool is if we could get together those who were not scarred by the previous fallout nor care much for it, and those who have advise to offer newbies like myself

Whats done is done, and majority of new posters etc dont care much for whats happened on these boards before
    so lets start afresh with those who are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

youngblood wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I and many other other new surfers couldnt give a damn nor care less what happened previously on these boards,
    what would be cool is if we could get together those who were not scarred by the previous fallout nor care much for it, and those who have advise to offer newbies like myself

Whats done is done, and majority of new posters etc dont care much for whats happened on these boards before
    so lets start afresh with those who are interested

I'd kind of agree with that sentiment.......
    I dont think polls or anything else are going to change things that happened so leave things as they are.
    I do find this forum useful and there is enough seasoned surfers here to make it work.
    The N00bs (like myself and as I mentioned) dont really care that much about ultra secret waves anyway, they're just learning.
    Being honest, Achill Island is one of the best spots in the country from what I've seen, never too full of people, a few beach options and not exactly a secret.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828925

here you go folks. Let's move the discussion to that thread, and let this thread get back to it's original topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In answer to the post question:
    Probably out surfing. I dont think a lot of these guys spent that much time on the net anyway and when they do I doubt its to talk about surfing.
    The forum isnt that quiet in fairness, theres been a few posts and some useful ones at that.
    kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

kippy wrote: »
    In answer to the post question:
    Probably out surfing. I dont think a lot of these guys spent that much time on the net anyway and when they do I doubt its to talk about surfing.
    The forum isnt that quiet in fairness, theres been a few posts and some useful ones at that.
    kippy

I'd agree. I think the forum works OK as it is. And from what I've seen from the attitude and lack of brain matter from some of the surf dudes that turn up here, I'm not sure I want too many of the hardcore turning up here with their "you're such a kook, where's your bic" attitude. Call it localism if you like. Yeah, actually I'd prefer if this site was kept secret (or sensitive if you prefer).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

i have only ever found the offline surf community to be helpful maybe I have just been lucky. nobody ever called me a kook at least not to my face and always gave advice on how to improve my surfing. on my part if I dropped in onsomeone by mistake or paddled out in the wrong spot and got in someones way i waited till they came back out and apologised and the only response I ever got back was no hassle.

surfers ettiquette is just good manners and the people that are on boards calling the people kooks are just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

And from what I've seen from the attitude and lack of brain matter from some of the surf dudes that turn up here

big lebowski, Can you say exactly who you are talking about please, would be interested as you seem to have some agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The surf community is the same as any other community, the majority are decent people with an ability to be helpful if they choose, its only the minority that are arrogant idiots. I've been around surfers and surfing myself for over 15 years(with a break of about 10 surfing, so am a reborn beginner).The majority of people I've met over the years have been decent friendly people and in my experience people are usually extremely helpful to beginners, except maybe a few. Its because of others patience with me over the years that I try and help out as much as I can, if I can. I'm am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on things but if mistakes made can help some one else then I'm more than happy share any tiny bit of knowledge I have. I feel that the only way for the surfing community to survive is to be open and accept new blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

sorry to take this off topic but.............

I have been surfing(bodyboarding) 4yrs after a several yr break before then and my fave spots are a secret ha ha................Bundoran, Spanish point and Streedagh.

Now lets get back to the debate ha ha

frAg

frag420 wrote: »
    sorry to take this off topic but.............

I have been surfing(bodyboarding) 4yrs after a several yr break before then and my fave spots are a secret ha ha................Bundoran, Spanish point and Streedagh.

Now lets get back to the debate ha ha

frAg

Ha ha body board well we all have our guilty secrets

Surf a longboard live in Dublin been surfing since 2001 and I won't say where my favourite wave is - I'd have to kill you first - Sligo mostly

I'd agree. I think the forum works OK as it is. And from what I've seen from the attitude and lack of brain matter from some of the surf dudes that turn up here, I'm not sure I want too many of the hardcore turning up here with their "you're such a kook, where's your bic" attitude. Call it localism if you like. Yeah, actually I'd prefer if this site was kept secret (or sensitive if you prefer).

I dont really get the attitude that some posters have shown towards newbies, we all have to start somewhere-Bic's or no Bics! Its that kinda attitude that gives the unfriendliness of some surfers credence. I think I'd prefer if this site was kept sensitive if thats the sorta posters we're missing out on ha ha!

Thought surfin was fun, peace and happiness dudes!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sorry, but who has been giving out about Bic surfers? I can't find any reference on this thread apart from BigLebowski who seems to be carrying a bit of a chip in his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I think I posted that err... threat :eek:

What I did was add a break to the mapping/add spot thread called boards.ie

I described that break as extremely shallow and nasty where user's should thread carefully.

It was a tongue in check post aimed at the google map list and the very harse treatment the surfing community got from the moderators/members of boards.ie at the time.

The bit about users should thread carefully was a general warning about using the information/mis-information posted on the surfing map/breaks list.

Could not believe that anyone could take it was a threat agains't any surfer or boards.ie user:rolleyes:

Keep it on topic please guys. We're trying to heal and grow here. Heal and grow <soothing music>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Sorry, but who has been giving out about Bic surfers? I can't find any reference on this thread apart from BigLebowski who seems to be carrying a bit of a chip in his shoulder.

Just the other day, someone asked was it too cold to surf and this was the response they got.

"Man up you pussy.

Your Bic will keep you afloat."

I'm not going to bother going looking for more examples but rest assured, if you were a regular user of this forum, you'd see many examples.

It's not particularly that they are giving out about BIC surfers, this is just one example of the bad attitude. If it's not the BIC, it'll be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I wouldn't worry too much about the Bic comments. Shortboarders rip on longboarders. Longboarders take the piss out of kayakers. Kayakers make fun of SUP riders. Everyone has a go at Bics

SUP riders don't get to say anything.... :pac:

Sure as someone said theres plenty a great surfer who has a Bic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just the other day, someone asked was it too cold to surf and this was the response they got.

"Man up you pussy.

Your Bic will keep you afloat."

I'm not going to bother going looking for more examples but rest assured, if you were a regular user of this forum, you'd see many examples.

It's not particularly that they are giving out about BIC surfers, this is just one example of the bad attitude. If it's not the BIC, it'll be something else.

There are dickheads in all walks of life. I think anybody who contributed to the locked poll were very reasonable and respectful. Look back at the feedback thread which caused all this. I think it would be fair to say that RB and Boston behaved like a proper pair of twunks. RB has subsequently been banned from the feedback section and he was the one who put the map together. He never surfed a day in his life and did the whole thing out of spite.

kodute wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Bic comments. Shortboarders rip on longboarders. Longboarders take the piss out of kayakers. Kayakers make fun of SUP riders. Everyone has a go at Bics

SUP riders don't get to say anything.... :pac:

Sure as someone said theres plenty a great surfer who has a Bic.

Who do shark biscuits take the piss of ?

By the way I used it be a sinner now I'm reformed

• Advertisement

SUP is my dirty little secret-A lot of fun!

So can we expect these boards now to be hopping with activity now the maps have been taken down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

youngblood wrote: »
    SUP is my dirty little secret-A lot of fun!

It's great isn't it! :D Love SUP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FireHydrant

That map was fantastic, got pitted for the first time cos of it...

9 years, Les Cavaliers - Anglet

Advertisement