Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a Xbox 360 play movies via usb key?

• 09-02-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Is this possible? I have an arcade version of xbox .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

It sure is. As long as the usb key/ external HD is formatted with Fat32 and not ntfs. Basically plug it in, got to videos on the xbox, and see does it pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

onece you plug it in go into your video libary and you should see a usb device there. So long as its fat32,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

You also need to make sure you have the optional media update for playing most movie files you'll be given an option to download it if you're connected to XBL when trying to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Thanks for the info . Much appreciated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

but it won't play some mkv or avi files

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

duploelabs wrote: »
    but it won't play some mkv or avi files

Far as I know xbox can't play .mkv HD files but all .avi files should work fine. Once you have downloaded the media update via XBL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Oddly enough, even though NTFS isn't supported, HFS is so if you have a Mac, you could always format it as HFS or FAT (HFS does not have the various file size limitations that FAT does).

MKV files indeed are not supported at all, most "regular" AVIs should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

it's possible to convert mkv files to avi that should then play on an xbox/ps3.

you could probably find such a converter on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Yes..

I have played movies of an avi format and it may require an update and a codec...

So I recommend your xbox has internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bears

mcgooch wrote: »
    it's possible to convert mkv files to avi that should then play on an xbox/ps3.

you could probably find such a converter on the internet.

Try total video converter to convert the files. its nice piece of kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Is this possible if my xbox has no internet access? I can connect it to download the update but would like to watch the movie clips offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

silvine wrote: »
    Is this possible if my xbox has no internet access? I can connect it to download the update but would like to watch the movie clips offline.

Yep, you'll only have to update it once... Just connect it and try to play a file and it will prompt you to update. After you've done that it should be fine for playing files offline.

Doesn't work this way if you've used the HD transfer kit though, I had to delete the update, then create a new profile and use that to download it before I could play files without being signed into live... Pain in the bum!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

any way of updating the xbox by downloading the file to usb and plugging it into the xbox? i only have mobile broadband so cant go online directly with xbox

blues2 wrote: »
    any way of updating the xbox by downloading the file to usb and plugging it into the xbox? i only have mobile broadband so cant go online directly with xbox

go to the xbox website and you should be able to download it there and then transfer it over to your xbox form your laptop. you will even be able to update the dashboard as well while your at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/GamesandMedia/Movies/VideoFAQ/ViewVideoPlaybackFAQ.aspx

For Streaming from a computer you need to download videora xbox 360 computer and connect the xbox with the media extender.

To play off a USB key use Avi. format and access through the video library in the xbox 360 menu.

pp_me wrote: »
    http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/GamesandMedia/Movies/VideoFAQ/ViewVideoPlaybackFAQ.aspx

For Streaming from a computer you need to download videora xbox 360 computer and connect the xbox with the media extender.

To play off a USB key use Avi. format and access through the video library in the xbox 360 menu.

you really dont need to have the extender for the xbox just go to windows media player options and turn on the sharing and share from there and you will be able to watch anything through the video folder on the xbox dashboard with out using the media centre.

just make sure the xbox is on so the computer can see it then use settings to change permissions.

once its in your windows media player libary it will stream on your xbox. thats how i stream my movies all the time dont use media centre at all no need to.

i share my folders from my computer and watch them that way its a lot easier and quicker and no messing around.

Bears wrote: »
    you really dont need to have the extender for the xbox

I tried to do this but the xbox is not recognising the files. I am guessing I need to download the software mentioned previously to allow this to happen. Going to try this this evening.

I'll post a guide to set it up when i get home tonight. if you want me to.

the extender is really only for the media centre, the file you want is the one for the playing the avi and xvid files.

just make sure folders are shared.

I'll post a guide to set it up when i get home tonight. if you want me to.
    that would be great Bears, thanks

No worries ill post it tonight when back from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

you really dont need to have the extender for the xbox just go to windows media player options and turn on the sharing and share from there and you will be able to watch anything through the video folder on the xbox dashboard with out using the media centre.

just make sure the xbox is on so the computer can see it then use settings to change permissions.

once its in your windows media player libary it will stream on your xbox. thats how i stream my movies all the time dont use media centre at all no need to.

i share my folders from my computer and watch them that way its a lot easier and quicker and no messing around.

Ye.. could never get that to work :L

Personally I think the easiest way is to put a avi. file on a memory key.. and bam! working.

sorry for not posting last night i had something i needed to do ill post over the weekend as family is visiting me tonight

Advertisement