Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

article on newtalk FM last night

• 09-02-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Driving home from training last night I was switching between channels and I heard the last 5 seconds of an article on newtalk FM, some car show, it was advice on how to prevent your car getting condensation on the windows. But I only heard the last few seconds so I never got to hear what you should do. Would anybody else have heard this article, or know what a possible solution is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

There's a sticky thread regarding this show so best to put this post in there.

Didn't hear the show myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

http://www.newstalk.ie/#

Select the podcasts option on the right and you'll get a popup, select 'listen back' and you'll find a podcast of 'Motor mouth' there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I heard it. The solution he offered was to get rid of any warm air in your car by turning off your heater and/or opening a window for the last five minutes of your journey.
    banjobongo wrote: »
    Driving home from training last night I was switching between channels and I heard the last 5 seconds of an article on newtalk FM, some car show, it was advice on how to prevent your car getting condensation on the windows. But I only heard the last few seconds so I never got to hear what you should do. Would anybody else have heard this article, or know what a possible solution is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Condensation forms when there is grease on the window. The best way is to get a can of glass cleaning stuff from a glaziers. Spray on your window, wipe with a paper towel. Wipe off with a dry paper towel.

Then do it again.

Then do it yet again.

Now when your windscreen is 100% clean and smear free, NEVER TOUCH IT WITH ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. Then, if you do get a bit of condensation on a cold day, only ever use the demister - even with cold air it will work in seconds as there is nowhere for the water to stick to.

I do this once a year and it works like a dream (until my dad borrows my car and uses his hand to clear the windscreen...arrghhh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Must try that out - great post stimpson!

• Advertisement

Is it really the case that water won't stick to clean glass? That surprises me. My bathroom mirror fogs up when I'm in the shower even though it seems perfectly clean. (And I don't see how any oil could get on it...)
    stimpson wrote: »
    Condensation forms when there is grease on the window. The best way is to get a can of glass cleaning stuff from a glaziers. Spray on your window, wipe with a paper towel. Wipe off with a dry paper towel.

Then do it again.

Then do it yet again.

Now when your windscreen is 100% clean and smear free, NEVER TOUCH IT WITH ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. Then, if you do get a bit of condensation on a cold day, only ever use the demister - even with cold air it will work in seconds as there is nowhere for the water to stick to.

I do this once a year and it works like a dream (until my dad borrows my car and uses his hand to clear the windscreen...arrghhh)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I heard it. The solution he offered was to get rid of any warm air in your car by turning off your heater and/or opening a window for the last five minutes of your journey.
    Is that to stop it fogging up if you need to get back into it later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

the moisture levels your bathroom mirror has to deal with are a good bit more than in the interior of a car. Unless you're doing something odd in there :)

clean glass only helps the problem, doesn't stop it happening completely.

I turn my heater on full blast and crack the windows to get some circulation going, usually does the trick.

+1 on the hating of pawing of the glass, jaysus, don't touch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If it fogs up then it's not perfectly clean. Even if there is a tiny bit of grease it will stiff fog up, whichh is why you have to do it 3 or 4 times. Best to clean it on a cold day so you can breathe on the glass to check it's 100% smear free. do this on your bathroom mirror and you'll be admiring your own pecs in no time. :D

It really does work - the glass cleaning aerosol stuff from a glazier is magic in a can - far better than the standard windowlene stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/ There is an embed thing but won't let me add it here. It play the ads and news first :\. It might be better to listen to it on itunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

No podcast as of today.

On the 'listen back' link, fast forward to 31min on the blue cirlce around the play/pause icon for the advice on condensation which is more of a comedy sketch and ad for Nokia.

@Ghostrider summed all the advice given in one sentence.

Condensation is formed when a cold surface like a window meets warm air (or vice versa), so I presume this technique is supposed to reduce the temperature of the air inside the car in order to stop condensation forming when the window cools down.
    Dades wrote: »
    Is that to stop it fogging up if you need to get back into it later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

No podcast as of today.

There is a link to a downloadable mp3 file in the sticky thread.

Advertisement