Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good wedding band, that can play in the South Munster area?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a wedding band (for my own wedding) that can play in the South Munster area. I'd admit to be fairly snobby about quality music, but I do understand that a wedding band has to cater for all tastes (I might like them to play that 10 minute Sonic Youth B-Side from 1996, but I know that's not gonna fly on the day).

However:
    Country n' Irish
    One guy with a keyboard
    ...need not apply.

But anything else I'll consider.

If you can recommend anyone I would truly appreciate it. Note that most wedding bands aren't afraid to travel afaik.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

heard Kieran Kramer ( cramer ?) band recently. very impressed with his voice, they played all sorts. think they are based in cariigaline or th city, but im sure theyd travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

"Bog the Donkey" http://www.bogthedonkey.com/

They played for our wedding and couldn't fault them, they play absolutely everything and anything you want. Price is very reasonable for the number of musicians in the band. We booked them through a wedding fayre we were at and we got a DJ thrown in for free (alternative was €200 off).

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Clockworks are great. Play very modern stuff too which is a plus and one of the band members is a DJ :)

http://www.clockworkstheband.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not to be spammy, but my band The BizNiz do nothing but weddings, we do the oldy stuff early in the night so the parents and grandparents can shuffle around the floor, and then get a bit more up to date. Everything from Elvis to Blink 182. We also DJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Ian Hendrick is excellent for weddings. Have seen him in action and have him booked for my wedding in october

@jamiecall - Oh yeah, wouldn't book a fellow Mini driver eh? EH? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

My brother in laws band are very good! (i know..bias!) They are Seven Against Reeves. They do covers of anything and everything and play a lot of weddings... they'll play all the stuff early in the night to keep the oldies happy but play a lot of modern stuff as well... you can PM me if you want their managers number or for a sample of their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

They played for our wedding and couldn't fault them, they play absolutely everything and anything you want. Price is very reasonable for the number of musicians in the band. We booked them through a wedding fayre we were at and we got a DJ thrown in for free (alternative was €200 off).

I've seen this band about four or five times as they used play in a pub I worked in. They're really great!! Their sound technician or whatever is unreal too, they always have the amp sounds perfect.

Play pretty much everything as well and they got everyone up dancing, even the old fellas at the bar were tapping their feet.

Hope you find a band that suits your taste and what you're looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you think that you might be interested in a really good string quartet PM me for details.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just Us, really good band, pretty sure they have a guy on keyboards, defo have a guy who plays the trumpet, sounds excellent!

Don't forget Crystal Swing, so bad it isn't funny. These guys are going to be the new Rick Roll in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

^^ there's something really creepy about that. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have seen The Marvels in the Old Oak a few times and they are excellent- their main business is weddings I think. Do a Google search and they have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bog the Donkey also play as 'Miss Jones' (or is it Mrs?) when they use a female singer. Presumably it costs a bit more but she's VERY good!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Don't forget Crystal Swing, so bad it isn't funny. These guys are going to be the new Rick Roll in 2010.

Crikey, I've definitely found the band for me. I've actually managed to persuade Interpol to play my wedding for free, but f*ck it, if Crystal Swing can make it instead, I'll take em!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 family guy

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on here although i have read alot of the posts and ive found them very helpful,

so im hoping someone can help me,

im getting married in trim in sept and im looking for a band, some reccomendations have been,

THE GREAT ESCAPE,
    THE BEST MEN
    BUMBLE BEE HONEY

im wondering has anyone seen them play and if so whats the verdict also whats the cost of these bands if anyone has booked them for there own wedding they would know and id appreciate the help, we have a budget for the different parts of the wedding and want to try stick to it as much as possible

cheers

Family Guy

This is the Cork forum. If you're getting married in Trim, try the Meath forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

One of my part time jobs is for a marketing company on behalf of IMRO so I've seen pretty much all the local wedding and tribute bands -
    A lot of them are beyond shocking but there have been a few really good bands

The tribute bands have been excellent, worth considering if you've a lot of younger people attending and want something different

some of the better pub/wedding bands I've seen

Soul Purpose , all the Motown hits , a mini brass section, an organist and a really powerful singer too - excellent band really enjoyed them

Free Beer - another good band , all Irish songs when I seen them - very good musicianship especially the guy who switches between fiddle,mandolin and guitar

Roaring Forties - another great band, very unique

and bog the donkey always put on a good show too

I could also name a lot of the terrible bands, no point though,
    only word of advice would be any of the bands represented by showcase are fairly terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sullycork

who knew it would be so hard to chose aa band, does anyone have a price on bog the donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

SeanF wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a wedding band (for my own wedding) that can play in the South Munster area. I'd admit to be fairly snobby about quality music, but I

If you can recommend anyone I would truly appreciate it. Note that most wedding bands aren't afraid to travel afaik.

Thanks!

True, be prepared for an up in price though if its a long journey!
    DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Clockworks are great. Play very modern stuff too which is a plus and one of the band members is a DJ :)

http://www.clockworkstheband.com/

Iv seen clockworks play several times and they are always fantastic! And the dj afterwards plays a really wide variety of songs!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'm not looking for a band but as a general interest question could someone please explain about Crystal Swing. Why are they so popular all of a sudden, I saw them in one of the free local papers last week and heard they are going to be on the late late show. I cannot understand it. There are a million other pub bands like them around--what's making them so special that they are getting all this publicity? Are they supposed to be funny or something? I really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

sunnyside wrote: »
    could someone please explain about Crystal Swing. Why are they so popular all of a sudden,

They're just very disturbing and creepy somewhere between a manson family/osmonds vibe,
    the son with his happy happy Daniel O Donnell act and the mammy with the frozen forehead,
    the sisters not bad looking, still something very wrong about it

even the name of the group, wouldn't be shocked if it related to their two favourite pastimes; Swinging and Crystal Meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 I AM IRON MAN

This band are really great, lovely bunch of warm, talented guys, they will negotiate the price, the singer does great djing after. you dont have to worry about anything with them
    One of my part time jobs is for a marketing company on behalf of IMRO so I've seen pretty much all the local wedding and tribute bands -
    A lot of them are beyond shocking but there have been a few really good bands

The tribute bands have been excellent, worth considering if you've a lot of younger people attending and want something different

some of the better pub/wedding bands I've seen

Soul Purpose , all the Motown hits , a mini brass section, an organist and a really powerful singer too - excellent band really enjoyed them

Free Beer - another good band , all Irish songs when I seen them - very good musicianship especially the guy who switches between fiddle,mandolin and guitar

Roaring Forties - another great band, very unique

and bog the donkey always put on a good show too

I could also name a lot of the terrible bands, no point though,
    only word of advice would be any of the bands represented by showcase are fairly terrible

They're disturbing because Irish Country and Western is the worst music genre on the planet. Ireland is not a substate of nashville, and yet, at a rural wedding last weekend, I saw line dancing - I sh1t you not. Garth Brooks will be making a comeback into inbred Ireland soon, with Crystal Swing as warmup act.

It's the fact that it's Country and Western, it's the fact that it's cheesy as hell, and it's the fact that the son really looks like a special needs case, and any Mother with a modicum of sense would make sure he wasn't opened up to a litany of abuse by trying to get him to act normally on camera. The whole thing is one big cringefest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 I AM IRON MAN

The only reason its doing well is because it is so bad, and got lots of hts on you tube, its total cheese. it must be a comedy act, it has to be. do you think the son is having sex with the daughter, definitely, and the mother probably watches, have you seen the website, at the bios, its great.
    They're disturbing because Irish Country and Western is the worst music genre on the planet. Ireland is not a substate of nashville, and yet, at a rural wedding last weekend, I saw line dancing - I sh1t you not. Garth Brooks will be making a comeback into inbred Ireland soon, with Crystal Swing as warmup act.

It's the fact that it's Country and Western, it's the fact that it's cheesy as hell, and it's the fact that the son really looks like a special needs case, and any Mother with a modicum of sense would make sure he wasn't opened up to a litany of abuse by trying to get him to act normally on camera. The whole thing is one big cringefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

• Registered Users Posts: 6 allentown

We are a five piece cover band that play a good cross section of stuff to cater for all types. Playing in Sams Bar Ballincollig this Saturday if you want a listen.

They're just very disturbing and creepy somewhere between a manson family/osmonds vibe,
    the son with his happy happy Daniel O Donnell act and the mammy with the frozen forehead,
    the sisters not bad looking, still something very wrong about it

even the name of the group, wouldn't be shocked if it related to their two favourite pastimes; Swinging and Crystal Meth

OK I'm starting to understand it a bit, was reading the Examiner today and there they were again. It's a bit like the new Donna+Joeseph McCaul (from Euovision a few years back)
    The only reason its doing well is because it is so bad, and got lots of hts on you tube, its total cheese. it must be a comedy act, it has to be. do you think the son is having sex with the daughter, definitely, and the mother probably watches, have you seen the website, at the bios, its great.

There is something very wrong about the interaction between the brother and sister in that youtube video. They are both in leaving cert, shouldn't they be going to school instead of working as a wedding band? Wedding bands work long hours/travel long distances etc.

The Examiner article says they are delighted with their new found fame...I think they've misunderstood the situation. They seem to think they are popular because they are very good:o

• Advertisement

But that can't have anything to do with the rise of Crystal Swing:confused: There are loads of those Irish country bands, Jimmy Buckley, etc. They've been around forever and nobody has bothered to take much notice of them.

Advertisement