Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Lane question

• 09-02-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

quick bus lane question

The bus lanes on the N3 has on the signs 24 hours whereas other signs around the city/country when they specify 24 hours also list the days eg 24 hours Mon-Sun. Where does this stand legally if no days are listed, which 24 hours? Is it a job for Jack Bauer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I would assume 24/7 if no days specified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

It's 24/7 like Stee said.

My understanding is that those bus lanes were originally hard shoulders and had more limited hours. Some Gardai believe that outside of those hours, the bus lane reverted to being a hard shoulder and ticketed people for driving in them. The local authority changed them to permanent bus lanes to avoid any confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought they would have to specify the hours and days of use, just wondering if anybody got a ticket for driving in one could it be challenged because it only says 24 hours on the signage whereas other are more specific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Borderfox wrote: »
    I thought they would have to specify the hours and days of use, just wondering if anybody got a ticket for driving in one could it be challenged because it only says 24 hours on the signage whereas other are more specific

I think its obvious enough, The others are more specific because they have to be, to show you when it is and isn't ok to drive in them. 24 hours is just an easier-to-read version of "At all times". (maybe not easier actually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Borderfox wrote: »

Surely saying 24 hours is specific enough? There's 24 hours in every day, so it's not like there's going to be any confusion. In order to challenge it on that basis, you'd have to show that just saying "24 hours" could somehow be interpreted in a number of ways. Can you think of another valid way "24 hours" can be interpreted in this context?

I mean, if they have to specify that it means all 7 days, then why not go the whole hog and demand they specify the months and years it applies to as well? :D

I know, I know - there aren't other signs with the months and years on them, so it's not the same... But you're assuming that the other signs with the days on them represent some minimum legal requirement for signage, where as it's just as valid to assume (and let's face it, more likely) that they just have extra (legally unrequired) information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What was said above is right.. originally the bus lanes either side of Dunshaughlin operated between certain hours, but there was massive confusion as to whether these reverted to driving lanes (like any bus lane in Dublin) or their original hard shoulder status outside of the specified times.

Hence the change to 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Other 24 hour bus lane specify that they are 24 hours Mon-Sun, thats the only thing I am questioning with regard to the ones up around Dunshaughlin are incomplete in comparison with nearly every other sign for a 24 hour bus lane, I have no doubt that they are bus lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've never understood why they have to say 24 hrs Mon-Sun and in irish rather than just putting 24/7 up. Short, smaller sign and hence cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I've never understood why they have to say 24 hrs Mon-Sun and in irish rather than just putting 24/7 up. Short, smaller sign and hence cheaper

They save enough money on the saucer sized speed signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The-Game wrote: »
    They save enough money on the saucer sized speed signs.

what wrong with them, just as easy to see and read as the larger ones.

If you can't see them clearly I'd suggest that you'd also fail the vision test required for a licence

• Advertisement

In fact, there's no need for either. The bus lane sign on it's own (i.e. without a timeplate) indicates a permanent bus lane. The timeplate is only used to indicate a partial bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What about a bus lane with no signage...just road marking "Bus lane"....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What about a bus lane with no signage...just road marking "Bus lane"....?
    The "Bus Lane" marking probably gives that one away. ;)
    Kidding. I doubt there's a requirement for other signage?

Dades wrote: »
    The "Bus Lane" marking probably gives that one away. ;)
    Kidding. I doubt there's a requirement for other signage?

MMM...the rules of the road state a sign AND road markings...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭allisbleak

Sometimes they do seem pointless.

When living in USA 10 years ago the highways hard shoulder turns into a valid lane at peak times, can you imagine that here.

If you can't see them clearly I'd suggest that you'd also fail the vision test required for a licence

I agree with you, but I think certain people need huge speed signs to cop on, especially along the N4 at lucan. Also huge signs saying stay left on motorway at every bridge. I drove from bray to celbridge on M50 and N4 and the amount of fools sitting in middle lane under the speed limit was crazy.

allisbleak wrote: »
    When living in USA 10 years ago the highways hard shoulder turns into a valid lane at peak times, can you imagine that here.

They talked about it here two years ago and the various emergency services asked them not to proceed because it would leave them no way to get past heavy traffic which seems perfectly reasonable.

Also, you may say the bus lanes are pointless but at peak times they dramatically reduce the travel times along the N3 (in buses which carry about 80 passengers each) and out of peak times, the N3 and M3 will be more than able to carry the traffic without delaying anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

MMM...the rules of the road state a sign AND road markings...:confused:
    it actually states Either/Or tbh

markpb wrote: »
    They talked about it here two years ago and the various emergency services asked them not to proceed because it would leave them no way to get past heavy traffic which seems perfectly reasonable.

Thanks, I didn't know that. It is reasonable. Can you imagine the chao's of watching Irish drivers trying to merge.
    markpb wrote: »
    Also, you may say the bus lanes are pointless but at peak times they dramatically reduce the travel times along the N3 (in buses which carry about 80 passengers each) and out of peak times, the N3 and M3 will be more than able to carry the traffic without delaying anyone.

No. Bus lanes are a great idea at PEAK times. Its pointless being a perm bus lane when there are no buses.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    it actually states Either/Or tbh

Not so....

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/buses.html

My only query is that today i saw a car pull into the buslane on the Southern cross road in Bray to let a Garda car by....:confused:...the Garda car was'nt "in pursuit" or anything...just cruising along..the car pulled back out and proceeded ...

• Advertisement

Not so....

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/buses.html

My only query is that today i saw a car pull into the buslane on the Southern cross road in Bray to let a Garda car by....:confused:...the Garda car was'nt "in pursuit" or anything...just cruising along..the car pulled back out and proceeded ...

Thats more down to Irish people freaking out when they see the rare sight of a garda car and they panic.

Advertisement