Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a pup/dog home alone?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate any advice any of you can offer.

I live in a mid terrace house with a reasonable sized garden, I would really like to get a dog, I grew up in a house full of jack russells (4 at one time!) and tbh I really miss the fun and companionship they offer.

The thing is both myself and my gf work an evening shift pattern 5 days per week with no prospect of a change in the near future. We are out of the house for approx 8.5 hours Mon - Fri, 2pm to approx 10.30pm. I'm afraid that this would mean leaving the pup/dog alone for too long and I really do not want to do that, we would also need to be concious of possible noise implications for (elderly) neighbours of having a bored and lonely dog next door.

I would be willing to get two dogs if this would help but I'm not sure if this would be enough to make it work?

Is it unrealistic to want to get a dog(s) in these circumstances? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm in a similar situation, workwise, to yourself and I adopted a pair of terriers about 2 years ago.

A lot is going to depend on the dog, and I'd be more inclined to go for one or two (preferably 2 so that they have each other's company during the day) adult dogs from a rescue. I don't think it's fair to leave a puppy alone for any longer than necessary; they're only babies, and can easily get themselves into trouble.

Do you intend the dogs to be indoor or out when you're at work? If indoors you'd probably want to see about getting someone to come in at lunchtime to take them out for a walk. This is about, iirc, €15 per day for one dog, €25 for two. Obviously it's cheaper if you have a secure garden or run that they could have access to.

Some rescues won't rehome to people who work full time, but if you ask around I'm sure you'll find one that can help you out.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Personally I wouldn't - but it doesn't mean it's not possible. As said above it would very much depend on the dog.

I would *not* get a pup of any description if you're going to be away for those lengths of time per day, it's simply unfair.

If you were to get a dog or two, you'd have to make sure they got walks before you left and probably a walk when ye get home (unless they're being left outside, in which case the evening walk may not be necessary all the time). But you have to be willing to go for a walk when ye come in from work.
    The dog would have to be suitable entertained for the time you're away, filled kongs, toys etc. And well, if the dog is being left indoors, it's a little unfair because it will need the toilet between 2 & 10.30pm, I know some dogs hold it in, but if they've eaten / drinking water, they'll need to go.

An option mentioned above is getting someone over to walk the dogs, that would definitely break up their day and let them out for their business.

Perhaps others in a similar position to you might be able to comment better, as what I've said, is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whittey

You probably have neighbours getting home between 5 & 7, would any of them be willing to bring the dog outside or for a walk?
    Judging by your hours of work, this would be a good time to break the dogs day.

Are there any responsible kids you could trust to walk the dog - they'd probably be willing to do it for pocket money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Do you have any relations/friends nearby who would possibly dog sit a potential puppy/dog you might get for a few hours during the day?
    It's a long time to leave a dog. A friend of mine had to rehome his dog because it was been left too long on it's own and was barking all the time.
    I had considered getting a dog recently as I love them and grew up with loads, but to be honest it wasn't feasible at the moment, with me working shift work.
    We compromised and got a Maine Coon cat instead. they are huge, very cool and are the dogs of the catworld :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqxF2c0VkFE&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King Nut

Thanks for the replies guys.

I would not leave them indoors for that time, I totally agree that would be unfair. Walking before and after work would not be a problem, gf is a walking nut! I live quite near my work so spinning home for half an hour for break might also be an option, not something I could be sure I could do every day though.....

We have friends with dogs on our estate so I could also talk to them, see if they would be willing to help out a little, tbh we couldn't afford to pay anyone. The point about the adult dogs makes sense, would have no problem with taking dogs from rescue/pound, my dad did it several times and to my recollection it always worked out well.

We obviously need to sit down and give this some more thought. We both would love to make this happen but at the same time neither of us would be willing to compromise the happiness/welfare of a dog(s) to tick some box for ourselves if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're considering the rescue dog route what about adopting a pair of older dogs? They find it difficult to get a new home cos everyone wants a cute puppy. But one of the major advantages to older dogs is that if you bring them out for a walk in the morning they'll be happy to chill together for the evening, especially if someone would be able to pop in and check on them. Older dogs are deadly, normally already housetrained, have some basic obedience and a great ability to chill out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Definitely don't get a puppy. If you're going to get dogs get two together, even better if there's two that need to be rehomed together from a rescue. Best of luck if you go with your decision of getting one or two.

Advertisement