Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parallel Universes fiction recommendations

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. Im kinda on a Parallel Universe kick at the moment. I used to think it was kinda a clunky plot device, but Iain Banks Transition and Fringe's season 2 have both changed that for me.
    I recommend both of them, (transition moreso, and Fringe Season 2, Episode 1, a sesason 2 episode titled "Grey Matter"and the final season 2 episode. The rest are monster of the week episodes)

Can anyone recommend a decent novel about Parallel Universes? I’ve googled a bit, but nothings jumping out, not sure if its a much used sci-fi plot convention.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Try The Seperation by Christopher Priest (he wrote The Prestige), think it may fit the bill. Other books by him that fall into head bender but not necessarily parallell universes are The Affirmation and The Glamour.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks for the recommendation fontanalis. I picked iit up on the way home. Good read so far, its started into what I think is the first alternate history, looks like it'll be a page turner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ash - a secret history, by mary gentle should fit the bill

http://www.sfsite.com/10b/ash91.htm

short review there, no spoilers. it's an amazing book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Thanks for the recommendation fontanalis. I picked iit up on the way home. Good read so far, its started into what I think is the first alternate history, looks like it'll be a page turner

Let me know what you think, it's not your average parallell universe story but it's intriguing. His other books are similar, I guess you could call them psych-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

The Man in the High Castle. Philip K Dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

'Anathem' by Neal Stephenson - good play on the parallel universe idea and a great read overall

Advertisement