Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC selection advice

• 09-02-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am looking for some advice on buying a PC. My requirements are fairly simple: I need a desktop computer to be used mainly for word processing, internet browsing and email. I also intend to store some music and photos on the computer, but that is not its principal purpose. I am not interested in games. I am looking for a machine that is fast, reliable and relatively neat in size. I have had some bad experience with Dell in the past, so I am keen to try a different manufacturer. I'm not too concerned about the price and am prepared to pay whatever is required to ensure that the machine I get is fast and reliable. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I am looking for some advice on buying a PC. My requirements are fairly simple: I need a desktop computer to be used mainly for word processing, internet browsing and email. I also intend to store some music and photos on the computer, but that is not its principal purpose. I am not interested in games. I am looking for a machine that is fast, reliable and relatively neat in size. I have had some bad experience with Dell in the past, so I am keen to try a different manufacturer. I'm not too concerned about the price and am prepared to pay whatever is required to ensure that the machine I get is fast and reliable. Any thoughts?

Dell pc with a next day business warranty and access to the Gold support helpline.

Reasons.

"Reliable", Mass produced models are as reliable as your going to get. All PC's are really just a mishmash of parts from different manufacturers and parts failure is quite common.

"word processing, internet browsing and email", Any ten year old pc can do these things well.

"I have had some bad experience with Dell in the past", As have I. But if you are willing to pay for it, getting past the majority of the morons in India and onto somebody who actually knows what they are talking about as well as delivery of the part by a engineer who installs it for you on site is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It doesnt matter how much you spend on a PC they are all susceptible to faults. I wouldnt be a fan of Dell myself but to say they are unreliable PCs would be unfair. Anyway I would say look at getting a bog standard Dell and spend all your extra money on support. Maybe bring it into a PC repair shop every 6-12 months, a properly maintained PC that is used for basic stuff like "word processing, internet browsing and email" should last a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hearty Beast

Thanks for the advice. Of course, I realise that all computers are susceptible to faults, although it does seem that some are more susceptible than others.

It annoys me that it is necessary to spend additional money on technical support: I should be able to buy a product that works properly and I should receive reasonable after sales service as part of the standard purchase price. As in many areas (e.g. telephone, internet and tv services) we seem to have become so jaded by poor customer service that we simply accept it as normal and are, therefore, willing to pay extra just to get the basic assistance that we should be able to take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldnt compare a PC to telephone, internet and tv services, its a lot more like a car in that they both need to be properly maintained or performance levels will drop over time. PCs slow down because of all the software and data build up. They also get a headstart with Dell's bloatware. Anytime I've ever bought a Dell for a friend the first thing I would is completely wipe it and re-install the operating system along with any necessary programs. Often times I see people buying new laptops/PCs when their old one is still perfectly capable meeting their needs, all they need is a tune up(Back up data, reinstall os/programs) and they could be as good as new.

Technical support is a tricky thing for companies. Customers technical knowledge can vary wildly and for every 20 calls tech support get about some vague problem of a PC being slow maybe 1 is an actual physical problem with components. At the end of the day you cant go out and buy a computer and expect it to perform the same 6 months down the line as the day you got it.

If your willing to spend a lot then maybe you should look into getting a Mac? It will doing everything you described and will* be more reliable than a Dell PC.

* May not hold true ;)

Advertisement