Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perth for winter months...

Options
  • 09-02-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has spent apr-aug in Perth. Have an offer of some work there for those months but have heard it gets quiet/ not much happening that time of year?
    just wondering if I should take it or aim to go elsewhere as I only have the visa till the year end and want to make the most of it.

Also which side of the city is the best to live north or south of the river?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IMO it would be a waste spending winter in Perth. It's quiet, quite cold and wet. The summer on the otherhand is unreal. I think if you're hear for winter you won't leave WA with too many good memories in comparison to what it's like between October and April. If you do decide to come then I'd say it's best to live north, though I'm very biased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Perth in winter is a pretty miserable place but if you have to, then definitely south of the river :p

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Perth in Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Is this not the Scottish Highlands forum?

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Is this not the Scottish Highlands forum?

Och, aye wee lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I lived in scarborough (north of the river) during that time and loved it.
    IMO it all depends on who you live with.

There was always something to do, but then i surfed a lot...

I'd go back to perth if i could, my kinda place.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Xavi6 wrote: »
    IMO it would be a waste spending winter in Perth. It's quiet, quite cold and wet.

Surely nothing near as bad as a country town at home?!:(

Well I don't mean to put you off but the winter isn't too pleasant. It can get VERY stormy, and there's proper rain. Not the shitty drizzle you get back home, but actual torrential downpours that can last for a day or more.

It's cold (can get down to zero or so at night) and the beach is pretty much a no go due to the sea swell unless you are some crazy surfer.

You'll still have the nightlife and what not but that's not really what Perth is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

When it rains in Perth in winter, it really rains, can get quite cold aswell, but it can also be quite warm and sunny. There may be a couple of days of heavy rain(thunderous rain), then it can be about 25 degrees after that, then rain again.
    I guess the only difference with regards rain there, is that when the downpour begins, its much more intense driven rain - which go on for many hours, its noticed more when driving in it, as oppossed to driving in something similar in Ireland - you can still make out the road a bit clearer here.

Still though - winter in Perth a far better then our summer in Ireland, still many many hot sunny days, with heavy rain mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Perth = Nothing to do but outdoor activates

Rain = Staying indoors

Perth + Rain = Nothing to do

But having said that if you have a job lined up you might be silly not to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Was in perth for a month last winter, it was like an average irish summer, about 19 or 20 degs some days, rained others, got cold at night, overcast some days, humid and muggy others, had the odd downpour. backpackers was empty. Most head north for the winter.

Advertisement