Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live and where is your watering hole

Options
  • 09-02-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

... not that Boards people stalk each other. But there might be some hidden gems around the cities that we don't know about.

I live in Auckland and drink in a few different places

Provedor
    Fox's
    Cassette 9
    Cowboys
    Forte
    Flight Lounge

All depends on the people I'm with and the time of day/night and if its after work or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Im currently residing in Cork and I drink in..
    The Crane Lane
    The Mutton Lane Inn
    The Pav
    The Vineyard

When in Auckland I drink in...
    Foxes
    HQ
    Bubble
    Cowboys
    Chapel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I live in newtown

My fave drinking spots in Sydney:

Kellys - Newtown
    Aussie Youth Hotel - Glebe (great trivia and $4 pints 4-6pm)
    Lord dudley & The Fringe Bar- Paddington
    Welcome Inn & London Bar - Balmain
    Quay Bar & Ryans bar - CQ for after work friday drinks
    Cheers - for the sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Living in Brisbane

Drink alot in The Fiddlers Elbow behind the Brisbane City Backpackers on Roma Street and Kitty O'Shea's on Caxton Street as both let ya in in shorts and flip flops all night Friday and Saturday!! Also Fiddlers Elbow is a backpacker bar with Backpacker prices but not near as messy or as in your face as The Bettle Bar or numerous others around the city.

Also love O'Malleys on Queen Street you can always find a quiet corner for a sneaky pint, can't beat the Normanby Hotel early on a Sunday it can get a bit rough once it gets past 8-9pm. The Plough Inn on Southbank is also great for day sessions on Satudays.

however try to avoid Irish Murphys just never liked that place dunno why so many people do, also don't venture into the Valley to often unless its a birthday or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

however try to avoid Irish Murphys just never liked that place dunno why so many people do, also don't venture into the Valley to often unless its a birthday or something!

Don't know about the one in Brizzy but the one in Hobart was about as far removed from an Irish pub as you could get. Live music wasn't too bad though.

Have seen enough pubs in Melbourne yet, but Pugh Mahones seems decent enough for sports.

Hobart:

New Sydney Hotel (more Irish than Irish Murphys)
    Cargo Lounge
    The Telegraph (though the decor is like something from the 70's and not in a good way)
    Bar Celona ($10 steins on Wednesdays)

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Don't know about the one in Brizzy but the one in Hobart was about as far removed from an Irish pub as you could get. Live music wasn't too bad though.

Have seen enough pubs in Melbourne yet, but Pugh Mahones seems decent enough for sports.

When I was in Melbourne I loved an Irish pub called the Quiet Man it is out in Flemington, you have to get a tram out there but well worth it the food is brilliant, some fantastic stews and good craic there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im in Melbourne and I drink 4 litre casks of wine in my gaff because I am extremely poor.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im in Melbourne and I drink 4 litre casks of wine in my gaff because I am extremely poor.

GOOONN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I live in Adelaide, and I don't have a pub I like to call my local :(

There are a handful of nice pubs though.. it's hard to find anything around here that resembles a real good pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have to agree. nowhere quite does pubs like Ireland. Southern Ireland.

Beer up north is phish

District_9 wrote: »
    I have to agree. nowhere quite does pubs like Ireland.
    Too true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Southern Ireland

shame on you!!

Beer up north is phish

Who are you agreeing with? Last time I was in Ireland no could afford to go to the pub due to it been over 5 Euro a pint.......

Beer up north is phish

You're full of it.

Who are you agreeing with? Last time I was in Ireland no could afford to go to the pub due to it been over 5 Euro a pint.......
    Drink is just as expensive in the pub here.

Drink is just as expensive in the pub here.

Average price for a schooner of tooheys new in Brisbane is $5 thats about what 3 euro for 3/4s a pint, if you drink Guinness or Pints of Magners it the same price as home if not dearer also in some places they rip you off totally by charging a fiver a schooner but up t $8 a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Beer up north is phish
    my local pubs in wicklow were
    Nagles Avoca closed..
    Vally hotel bar wooden bridge Avoca closed..
    Moores cafe bar Avoca closed..
    Vale view hotel Avoca closed..
    only two bars lelf to go to so might Emigrate to Australia and
    il take on board the pubs mentioned above.

Average price for a schooner of tooheys new in Brisbane is $5 thats about what 3 euro for 3/4s a pint, if you drink Guinness or Pints of Magners it the same price as home if not dearer also in some places they rip you off totally by charging a fiver a schooner but up t $8 a pint!

I find beer expensive here but in Norn Iron, you wouldn't find many places charging 5 Euro (or the equivalent, smartarses :P) for a pint. Furthermore, a schooner is a not a desirable measurement of beer for Irish people. :pac:

Furthermore, a schooner is a not a desirable measurement of beer for Irish people. :pac:

I agree totally with that!! F**KING hate them but sure when in rome....... alot of pubs here dont serve pints such as the Normanby hotel. Now a pitcher of beer.....

Average income here is lower than it was when you were last in Ireland, so its swings and roundabouts. In real terms its the same here as it is (was anyway) in Ireland.

Also, I spend more time walking up and down to the bar to buy girlsized beers and into the smoking bit where you cant eat and then to the eating bit where you cant smoke in pubs here than actually sitting down and swilling booze.

Average income here is lower than it was when you were last in Ireland, so its swings and roundabouts. In real terms its the same here as it is (was anyway) in Ireland.

Also, I spend more time walking up and down to the bar to buy girlsized beers and into the smoking bit where you can eat and then to the eating bit where you cant smoke in pubs here than actually sitting down and swilling booze.

Yeah I suppose if you look at it like that all right!

Don't smoke and eating is cheating :D!! I do agree there RSA laws are a complete joke. Its also so hard when moving from pub to pub on a night out to stay on a constant lager. For example some places only sell Carlton, Pure Blonde, VB, then other sell Tooheys and other stuff I don't drink. Can be very annoying, gets ya on the Jack Daniels alot quicker! None of their premixed cans though.....

What do you drink?

• Advertisement

None of their premixed cans though.....

I've seen the half drunk remains of these on trains. I've never drunk any of them but the concept sounds vile.

I've seen the half drunk remains of these on trains. I've never drunk any of them but the concept sounds vile.

Someone once left 6 jack and cola ones in our fridge and I tried one after looking at them for about 3 weeks!! they are the VERY sweet and the cola taste very very cheap, also they are only 5% in volume. If i want a 5% drink il stay on lager once you mix your own jack and coke you want it about 20-25%!

Not a fan at all!! Pawned the rest off on some unfortunate who called up one night with no beer.......

they are the VERY sweet and the cola taste very very cheap, also they are only 5% in volume.

That's what I thought, for people who like everything about whiskey except the taste.

That's what I thought, for people who like everything about whiskey except the taste.

The other thing about the Australian drinking habits that confuse me is the amount of the blokes who have 3 or 4 beers then start nailing smirnoff ice as if its going out of fashion........ the amount of sugar in those yolks would kill me or else keep me awake all night!!

Also pots of beer...... why?

Also pots of beer...... why?

In Tassie, they call that a 10 ounce. :confused::)

In Tassie, they call that a 10 ounce. :confused::)

Can you get them in Tassie as well? In Brissie some of the lads I work with say cause their beer gets too hot if they get a schooner/pint so a pot is the way to go but I have never had that problem, I would just hate the idea of going to the bar every 5 minutes.........

their beer gets too hot if they get a schooner/pint so a pot is the way to go

They clearly sip their beer. ;)

Its a fair point about beer sitting in the sun getting warm, but its not as if they switch to pints when inside or in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Premixes are the greatest thing ever. I live on cans of Jim Beam and coke and the mix is perfect taste wise. They should bring them in back home to help control measures and consumption.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Premixes are the greatest thing ever. I live on cans of Jim Beam and coke and the mix is perfect taste wise. They should bring them in back home to help control measures and consumption.
    Ugh, that stuff is nauseating. No way it compares to a normal bourbon and coca-cola.

Advertisement