Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live and where is your watering hole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Premixes are the greatest thing ever. I live on cans of Jim Beam and coke and the mix is perfect taste wise. They should bring them in back home to help control measures and consumption.

You haven't really got a grasp of why people drink in Ireland. They drink to get drunk. If a drink doesn't get them drunk quick enough, they'll mix it with something stronger or else drink something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This stuff is so weak you could use it as a mixer for a real spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Premixes are the greatest thing ever. I live on cans of Jim Beam and coke and the mix is perfect taste wise. They should bring them in back home to help control measures and consumption.

Premixes is for the poor, students, under class, cheap asses and is a step up from nacker drinking.

Buy a bottle of what ever, get ice, a mix and do it our self.

Use premium cola, lemonade, whatever... the taste is so much better.

*shakes fist at premixes*

Back on topic.
    I like the odd drink at Danny Doolans in Auckland too. Great live music, fvck all drunken irish people, but it can get very busy and be a little slow for service. But nice none the less. No little drunked kids around either. Only drunken older people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sorry I stand by my earlier comment Northern beer is phish. it took me weeks to find a pint of Heineken and when i did it was like drinking cold potato and wheat soup. Guiness in places was not bad but not when you have had really good guiness like one in McDaids of Grafton st.

I have to say drinking in bars is comparable to being out in ireland. Price wise.

The other thing I find is the amount of beer and mix cans stock in businesses all over Melbourne. Staff canteens are full of grog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

to be honest, I think it's getting harder to find a really good pint of heineken than it is to find a really good pint of Guinness.

[edit: unless things have changed in the one year i've been absent!]

• Advertisement

District_9 wrote: »
    it took me weeks to find a pint of Heineken

Where were you looking? In a field? Heineken is one of the most widely available beers. Also, it's s*** in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You haven't really got a grasp of why people drink in Ireland. They drink to get drunk. If a drink doesn't get them drunk quick enough, they'll mix it with something stronger or else drink something else.

I understand perfectly well why people drink in Ireland. The point is that if regulated premixes are the only option available spirit wise in clubs then there's no choice but to drink them (obviously naggen smuggling is still an option).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I understand perfectly well why people drink in Ireland. The point is that if regulated premixes are the only option available spirit wise in clubs then there's no choice but to drink them (obviously naggen smuggling is still an option).
    The other option is not to go to clubs. Which will depress the industry even more.

There's a reason why it'll never happen - $$$$$$$$ (don't have a Euro key :D). Pubs are having a hard enough time without bringing that kind of law in.

Where were you looking? In a field? Heineken is one of the most widely available beers. Also, it's s*** in any country.

In East Belfast ? City Cantre not to great either btw I mean on tap

In some places in Ireland and Holland its fantastic. Especially the Heineken factory.

• Advertisement

In East Belfast ? City Cantre not to great either btw I mean on tap

In some places in Ireland and Holland its fantastic. Especially the Heineken factory.

Could have told you that beforehand. It's not the most cosmopolitan place in the world. Some really decent spots sell Heineken, especially in South Belfast.

I lived in Holland for a year, Heineken isn't even the best Dutch beer. Though, the best beers in Holland are Belgian. :D

I once remember we where all sat around a table in Sinnotts back somewhere in the 90's

Bloke 1 : Jesus lads its gone up to £1.90 a pint.
    Bloke 2 : F**k me it'll be over 2 pound a pint soon enough.
    Bloke 3 : Jesus guess I will have to cut back on the eating so...

Its actually a sad story . Bloke 3 did actually die at 36 from a heart attack.

It's not the most cosmopolitan place in the world.

And the award for understatement goes to ... :)

And the award for understatement goes to ... :)

Yeah, but you knew that before you arrived there. I wouldn't drink in anywhere but the city centre or South Belfast.

Yeah, but you knew that before you arrived there. I wouldn't drink in anywhere but the city centre or South Belfast.
    Agree totally ... my local was "The Cosy" , I never even walked in to the place

Agree totally ... my local was "The Cosy" , I never even walked in to the place

Why/How did you end up in East Belfast? Were the flights to Islamabad too expensive? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I live in Wellington and my "local" aka the only pub I really drink in is the General Practitioner on Willis Street. I work in the building above it so it's my Friday night place. It's a nice pub and does lovely food too.

I don't really go to pubs much, we tend to either hang out in each other's homes or eat out. I could recommend lots of restaurants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not looking forward to these "schooners"...... Surely Irish bars at least would sell pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Dave! wrote: »
    Not looking forward to these "schooners"...... Surely Irish bars at least would sell pints?

yeah majority of irish bars do serve pints, but some oz bars are hit and miss but you will get use to it! Its 3/4 of a pint or so, its only in oz bars i have came across them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

haven't been in an Irish bar yet that didn't! You'll fine some/most of the better aussie pubs have them, but you'll need to ask for it specifically, and it's more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

When in Brisbane:
    The London Club at Teneriffe, when I was taking herself out.
    The Ice Bar at Teneriffe, when I was with workmates. It's sh1t, but it was 10 steps away.
    O'Malleys/Gilhooleys/Pig&Whistle when in town.

Dublin:
    Leopardstown Inn / Galloping Green for quiets
    Sinnots or anything around there for townies.
    Have to mention the Bell in Blanch, used to live near there & it was great.

Switzerland:
    Nip across the border to Germany to get numerous bottles of Erdinger/Paulaner for EUR 50c. Then get .30 swiss francs BACK for the empties.

When you get here we will give you a traveller and you will be right for volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Sitting in the hostel, goon out of a mug

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm in brisbane
    my house is about equidistant between the Edinburgh Castle Hotel (Edi) and the Kedron Park Hotel (KP)

Both equally ****, but the Edi has music on Fridays andd the KP on Saturdays,

in Town I'm a Geurilla Drinker :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well since I am new in Sydney I haven't really been out much. Although went to some Irish pub on king st to watch the Irish match. Paddy something or other its called.

In Christchurch I drank in the Bard, the bog, yellow cross, that place by base backpackers, base night club. The best place to go though was popular lane. Great German pub and Russian vodka bar right next to each other.
    Miss the old NZ beers, macs gold, speights and monteiths were nice. Tui's is piss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jank wrote: »
    Well since I am new in Sydney I haven't really been out much. Although went to some Irish pub on king st to watch the Irish match. Paddy something or other its called.

In Christchurch I drank in the Bard, the bog, yellow cross, that place by base backpackers, base night club. The best place to go though was popular lane. Great German pub and Russian vodka bar right next to each other.
    Miss the old NZ beers, macs gold, speights and monteiths were nice. Tui's is piss though.

That would be P.J. O'Briens, Paddy (Maguires) is down near central ...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

In Brisbane, and I drink in quite a few places.

Regularly frequent O'Malleys for lunch or if I'm out with the GAA club. The Sunday session is good craic in there too.

Pig n Whistle if there are live matches from home to be watched.

Exchange, Port Office or Embassy if I'm out with ones from work.

Have the occasional drink up by Caxton Street in the Caxton, Kitty O'Sheas or LA.

Irish Murphy's is the sort of place that I'm not a fan of, but always seem to end up there for the tail end of a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Someone once left 6 jack and cola ones in our fridge and I tried one after looking at them for about 3 weeks!! they are the VERY sweet and the cola taste very very cheap, also they are only 5% in volume. If i want a 5% drink il stay on lager once you mix your own jack and coke you want it about 20-25%!

Not a fan at all!! Pawned the rest off on some unfortunate who called up one night with no beer.......

there's certainly a time and place for the aul RTDs. do ye have diesel in oz? it's 8% i think, and i still remember my first time, just taking a swig of a mate's and still feeling that hot sensation of alcohol in my throat 5 mins later :D

generally when i drink, ill drink at home, as it's a lot cheaper, but when i do out, one of my fave venues (al's bar) does 2 diesels for a tenner, which works out a lot cheaper and than going for the JD/jim beam/jameson/southern comfort options.

but yes, my favourite watering holes...

Al's Bar - from gigs, to poetry nights, to just a chilled out place to drink, great smoking area, chilled out owner and some good drinks deals. great place.

Goodbye Blue Monday - the late night place. 'band starts at 8' is always on the posters, and always a lie. dont think ive ever seen a band start till at least 10, if not 11, and they're usually open as late as people are still hanging round and buying drinks. the outside area is bigger than the inside, heaps of couches around the place, so dont tend to think of it as a 'smoking area' as such. get some great bands in, always free too, to the best of my knowledge, good support of local bands, but the sound just never *quite* sounds right there.

The Gloryhole - not technically a pub. it's not licensed, but kinda an underground venue. do some amazing nights - was 4 metal bands and 2 suspensions last night. plus, they can do all ages. only bummer is that sound laws mean it's all gotta be wound up by 1am.

im sure there's more places than that, but ive done a bit of a blank on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

watna wrote: »
    I live in Wellington and my "local" aka the only pub I really drink in is the General Practitioner on Willis Street. I work in the building above it so it's my Friday night place. It's a nice pub and does lovely food too.

I don't really go to pubs much, we tend to either hang out in each other's homes or eat out. I could recommend lots of restaurants!

Please do! But maybe PM me so as not to derail this thread. I'm also in Wellington and am a bit a of beer hound, so will keep it to the best:
    • The Malthouse - always a good atmospher and staff that really know their beers
    • The Welsh Bar - awesome craic generally
    • Molly Mallone's - I'm not proud of going to Irish bars but the atmosphere's usually great and it's so close to where I live
    • Vespa - it's stays open till 7am!
    • MiniBar - like the staff and cocktails although the music or the movies never change
    • The Kiwi Bar - so cheap!
    • The 4 Kings - best place for sport
    • St. John's - best place for outdoor, particularly if you snag a bean bag

Advertisement