Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Grass

Options
  • 09-02-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I moved into my house four years ago. The back garden had no lawn and I got sods laid which meshed well and were allowed settle in before anyone walked on them. However the first summer I noticed a drainage problem down the centre of the lawn. (The area there was drying out). Despite extensive watering this persisted.
    On top of this for the past couple of years when my children play on the lawn around October - November each year the grass is torn up and the garden soon becomes a mud bath. The result of this is that for about six months of the year the garden is pretty much bare.
    I have managed through addition of grass seed to get the grass back on track by mid summer.
    However I reckon time has come to sort this out once and for all. I am prepared to relay the lawn if necessary. Has anyone had experience of this and if so what did you do? also if anyone has any names of anyone who could sort this out I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭87pio

I'd say u have to put down another drainage pipe, and level the soil out again, and lay a lawn. That should! help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 castlemoy

you will probably have to relay the lawn.you cant 'regrow' these patches as they are dead. you either have to put seed over the dead patches but the seed mix might be different to the grass already there so the best option is probably to returf the lawn. i had to do this last year with my own so i know what its like..very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The dry area should be gone now as the turf should be well consolidated into the topsoil below, if there is some there. Sounds like you might have to wait till the kids grow out of playing football on your lawn, then the grass will grow back by itself.

Advertisement