Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being over the legal legal limit.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

dclane wrote: »
    I was just reading this article in the paper and it got me wondering. If somebody is four times over the legal alcohol limit does this mean that they had roughly 5 pints before they decided to drive? What does it equate to?

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/34One-of-the-worst-cases.6054870.jp

irrespective of legal alcohol limits, donegal's roads are more dangerous than beirut's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I was just reading this article in the paper and it got me wondering. If somebody is four times over the legal alcohol limit does this mean that they had roughly 5 pints before they decided to drive? What does it equate to?

Is being over the "legal legal" limit different to being over just the legal limit.

I am confused about this two tier legal limit system that has been set up. Can you provide more detail? :cool::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Depends on body weight doesn't it?

Four times the legal limit though I'd guess is somewhere between 8 and 10 pints for a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Fair play to the judge! Fecking foreigners coming over here drink driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

I'll hazard a guess and say one bottle of fermented swan juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

genericguy wrote: »
    irrespective of legal alcohol limits, donegal's roads are more dangerous than beirut's.

That's why they get tanked up before they get in their cars, so's they can alleviate the stress of driving in such a dangerous place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's why they get tanked up before they get in their cars, so's they can alleviate the stress of driving in such a dangerous place.

How about just being there?
    For drink driving Michalkiawicz was sentenced to four months in jail and disqualified from driving for 15 years. He was also sentenced to four consequetive months in prison and disqualifed from driving for the same period of time for driving with no insurance

IF the guy was disqulaified from driving in the first place... which i'd assume meant he no longer had a lisence to drive in this country... how in the heck was he meant to get insurance?

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Yes We've pot holes as big as craters over here you'd have to be locked sure

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nearly 4x80mg/100ml ~= 300mg/100ml

The scale is essentially exponential. Thats enough to kill some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
    Unless a person has developed a high tolerance for alcohol, a BAC rating of 0.20% represents very serious intoxication, and 0.35%–0.40% represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning.[1] 0.40% is the accepted LD50, the dose that is lethal for 50% of adult humans.

For drink driving Michalkiawicz was sentenced to four months in jail and disqualified from driving for 15 years. He was also sentenced to four consequetive months in prison and disqualifed from driving for the same period of time for driving with no insurance

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=consequetive&word2=consecutive+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'd assume it means legal limit x 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Bloody foreigners. Coming over here driving our drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Two pints will put you just over the limit. This individual had at least ten pints over the course of a few hours, then decided to drive

With a blood alcohol level of 320mg/dL he was almost at the fatal dosage. He would have been suffering from Stage 1 anaesthesia, memory lapse and labile mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I thought they lowered the legal limit and there is a zero tolerance to driving with any alcohol in your system. My understanding is that you can have about a glass of beer or one short measure of spirits?

Anyone know the proper legal limit? Anyway, best practice is to never drink and drive. Not even a pint. ;)

Stats show that you're more likely to die drink walking than drink driving.
    Won't someone think of the children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Two pints will put you just over the limit. This individual had at least ten pints over the course of a few hours, then decided to drive

With a blood alcohol level of 400mg/dL he was almost at the fatal dosage

Ive an acquaintance who likes his swalloy. Hes in his early 20s. He was done for drink for drink driving last summer. He was declared three times over the legal limit, yet he claims he had at least 8 pints and a heap of shorts on top of that. Ive been out with him before, so Id be inclined to believe him.

They left him in the cells for an hour, then let him go after processing the charge sheet. They gave him back the car keys along with the rest of his belongings.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've not seen those stats, but yes, quite a few pedestrians are killed in situations involving alcohol and other drugs, whether as a driver, passenger, pedestrian or through violence or poisoning.

Victor wrote: »
    I've not seen those stats, but yes, quite a few pedestrians are killed in situations involving alcohol and other drugs, whether as a driver, passenger, pedestrian or through violence or poisoning.

Stats were quoted in freakonomics.

That's not the type of mentality we need though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ive an acquaintance who likes his swalloy. Hes in his early 20s. He was done for drink for drink driving last summer. He was declared three times over the legal limit, yet he claims he had at least 8 pints and a heap of shorts on top of that. Ive been out with him before, so Id be inclined to believe him.

They left him in the cells for an hour, then let him go after processing the charge sheet. They gave him back the car keys along with the rest of his belongings.:eek:

And how is Mr Halvey these days...? Long time no hear!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I heard that 2 out of 10 accidents are caused by drink drivers

That proves that you're 8 times more likely to have a crash if you haven't had a drink so be safe guys, drink up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

what would likely outcome of this be, over de limit and hitting two cars,,
    what would that guy expect to get?

argosy2006 wrote: »
    what would likely outcome of this be, over de limit and hitting two cars,,
    what would that guy expect to get?

a job driving Niall Quinn?

Yes, but you won't injure or kill anyone else drink walking.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Yes, but you won't injure or kill anyone else drink walking.

you will if you walk out in front of a bus, the bus driver swerves to avoid you, bus hits a wall, fuel goes everywhere, you throw your cigarette away, bus goes up in a fireball.

you will if you walk out in front of a bus, the bus driver swerves to avoid you, bus hits a wall, fuel goes everywhere, you throw your cigarette away, bus goes up in a fireball.

You don't have to be drunk to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

"It's different , Up here in Donegal"

- I blame Bord Failté.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In conclusion, Drunk Driver: 15 years. Murderers and Rapists, 2 year average?

But then there was that 7 month suspended sentence vehicle manslaughter, while drunk.

Is the justice system run by an Enchanted 8-Ball?

Overheal wrote: »

But then there was that 7 month suspended sentence vehicle manslaughter, while drunk.

It's not "run" so much as it's made up as they go along.

It's a well known fact that our justice system is a load of balls.

Then again, we did have a huge problem with drink driving and not such a problem with murder/rape.

25 years for carrying some weed? Your own system is more fcuked up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Overheal wrote: »

When did a drunk driver get fifteen years? Was that in the States?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I got knocked down two years ago by a lad 4 times over the legal limit and all the cu*t got was a 5 year driving ban and a fine, he hit 3 people and got a slap on the wrist!

Fair play to the judge, about time the law was enforced properly.

Advertisement