Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a camera please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Olympus would be the best bet of those, you'd need to buy another lens to go with the others and even then you wouldn't have the same reach or would the lens be stabilised. I have the two lenses on my Oly E510 and am very happy with them, at your budget you won't get better.

To get an idea if the zoom range check out here

The Olympus kit can be got cheaper here but you might want to ring them and check out delivery times if you're going next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Increase your €500 to €800 and you can get yourself a snaptastic Nikon D5000.

Best camera I've ever own! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

HxGH wrote: »
    Increase your €500 to €800 and you can get yourself a snaptastic Nikon D5000.

Best camera I've ever own! :)

Yet doubling the cost of initial outlay... does not compute. Especially when he can have an effective 28-300mm reach with a very capable DSLR and in body stabilisation within his budget :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fanthomas

If you are a beginner foget about those cameras unless you want to come back from safari with nothing.Buy something simple like that :http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2386473/art/olympus/sp-590-uz.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Buy the 450D and pick a 55-250mm IS lens second hand if you need the extra reach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

duffarama wrote: »
    Yet doubling the cost of initial outlay... does not compute. Especially when he can have an effective 28-300mm reach with a very capable DSLR and in body stabilisation within his budget :rolleyes:

A man can dream can't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks for your replies.

Not leaving for 5 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd second Rb's advice if you plan to get seriously into photography.

However, if you're likely to simply use the one dSLR and a couple of lenses for a long time, I'd recommend looking at the Sony SLR's. You don't have the same range of extra lenses / accessories to build on that you'd have with the Canon system but their cameras rate very highly on the 'bang for your buck' measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

nilhg wrote: »
    The Olympus would be the best bet of those, you'd need to buy another lens to go with the others and even then you wouldn't have the same reach or would the lens be stabilised. I have the two lenses on my Oly E510 and am very happy with them, at your budget you won't get better.

To get an idea if the zoom range check out here

The Olympus kit can be got cheaper here but you might want to ring them and check out delivery times if you're going next week.

Thanks for that link, I had no idea what 300mm meant! I'm looking at a Nikon D5000 18-55Nikon lens and a 70-300mm Sigma, €774 on pixmania
    I want to take pics of anamils out to 150metres or so so.
    Any advice on SIGMA lens??
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html#tech-specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Thanks for that link, I had no idea what 300mm meant! I'm looking at a Nikon D5000 18-55Nikon lens and a 70-300mm Sigma, €774 on pixmania
    I want to take pics of anamils out to 150metres or so so.
    Any advice on SIGMA lens??
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html#tech-specs

Took me about 4 weeks to get delivery from there, I'm sure you can pay a little extra for swifter delivery. The olympus 14-42 and 70-300 are 2 great quality and reasonably lightweight lenses. €658 is a bargain when you include the body stabilisation which is more important at longer focal lengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Have a look at ffordes.com

they have a good range of second hand equipment

If you are fairly sure you are not getting into photography you could cut costs by buying a film camera and just bring loads of film with you.

Make sure that you can get it through the airport with out it going through the X-ray machine

on the digital side of things:
    there is a d40 for sale in adverts.ie that would see you right you could look in to getting a nikon 300mm lens for it

this lens might match it and do what you want its from ffordes

I am banging on about ffordes because I have got stuff from them myself and they seem reliable and reasonable

there job done (maybe)
    wait for the nikon people to say if those 2 will go together

I am a canon user

Advertisement