Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing my Oil?

• 09-02-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Help please? My car (opel corsa) is very noisy and the oil light has come on. so I obviously need oil (female here sorry!). My question is can I just go and buy oil in (for example, tesco) and put it in? Or do I need to go to my mechanic? I know when my car has been serviced in the past, my mechanic has always done the oil change, so this is the first time I've had to do it myself. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭goodmum

Its on.
    But I have to drive it because it's at work today and I have to drive home!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will it blow up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First check the level of oil in the car. This is very easy.

Open bonnet and locate the oil stick.
    Pull this up and clean with a napkin.
    Then push it fully back down again and pull up.
    You can now see the level of oil on the little flat surface on the end of the stick.
    This should be somewhere between the minimum and maximum markings.

If level is below the minimum marking use another car to go get oil, buy 2 liters or more if there's no oil at all on the stick.
    Usually your type car take 4-5 litres total.

Usually looks like this
    image016.jpg
    53c4a_Editor-Dipstick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

goodmum wrote: »
    Its on.
    But I have to drive it because it's at work today and I have to drive home!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will it blow up?

Do not drive the car before adding at least 1 litre of oil. Pick up a bottle at any Halfords or petrol station (though it is over priced at petrol stations). Get a bottle of 10W-30 oil, and add it.

Then start the car and see if the light goes off.

Then get an oil change.

If you continue to drive it, you can cause significant engine damage, likely to cost more to repair than the car is worth.

I work in dublin city centre - where will i get oil in town?? Sorry bout this, but like I said, it's the first time this had happened and didn't realise how serious it was!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I work in dublin city centre - where will i get oil in town?? Sorry bout this, but like I said, it's the first time this had happened and didn't realise how serious it was!!!!

Any petrol station - the one on the quays for example.

A taxi trip there and back will not cost you more than €20 - pittance compared to the cost of repair if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

....then book it for a service. If you aren't servicing a car at least once a year it's only yourself you're fooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I know when my car has been serviced in the past, my mechanic has always done the oil change, so this is the first time I've had to do it myself. Thanks.

Remember - your not changing the oil. Your only topping it up. Any autofactors or garage will have oil for you to purchase. Someone in your office may even have some oil in the boot of their car as spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as above any garage, petrol station or car dealership should be able to give you some oil

It had a service last august and passed the nct then. This light just came on yesterday when I noticed the noise also.
    Thanks so much for info lads - didnt realise how serious this was - am on my way up to that garage on the quays straight away. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It had a service last august and passed the nct then. This light just came on yesterday when I noticed the noise also.

Then you have an oil leak somewhere, get it checked out as soon as you can

• Advertisement

Oh crap! Just what I need now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Oh crap! Just what I need now:rolleyes:

You want it to be a leak. A leak is the lesser of 2 evils.

Any chance this is an oil pump prob??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What model of Opel Corsa is it?
    (year, diesel/petrol, engine size)

Whilst any oil is better than no oil, we might as well try to have you get the correct oil for your particular engine.

We might even be able to find a photo showing exactly where the dipstick is and where the oil goes in. :)
    As can be seen in Magnus' post above, dipsticks are usually yellow these days, and the oil filler cap will probably be yellow too (as likely will be a few others!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i dont like the sound of the "very noisy" bit. Something more serious amiss than low oil level. Do you have breakdown cover on your insurance? call them if you do and they'll come to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

corktina wrote: »
    i dont like the sound of the "very noisy" bit. Something more serious amiss than low oil level. Do you have breakdown cover on your insurance? call them if you do and they'll come to you.

Reading through the posts I was thinking, is anyone going to mention the noisy engine at all.
    This could be serious, can you tell us what kind of noise its making?

Advertisement