Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NON RESTRICTED LIST,,WHERE DO I GET ONE??

Options
  • 09-02-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Just heard back from my local supers office in relation to getting a licence for a .22 and was told that nothing outside the current list would be concidered,so where do i get on of those pistols on the list.
    I can get the hammerli for around 650 upwards but no one seems to supply any of the others.
    Can I buy from the net and import it myself or do i have to go through a dealer.
    budget is tight so would concider second hand for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

First of all - the 'non-restricted' list is part of the Garda Commissioners Guidelines which can be found on the Garda Website

Annex F of the following document
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/commissioners%20guidelines%204.pdf

This is not an exhaustive list and is merely a 'Guideline'.

If you are looking to license a firearm which is not on the list you could contact the National Association of Sporting Rifle and Pistol Clubs (NASRPC) which can approach the Garda Firearms Policy Unit on your behalf and identify if it is possible to license the firearm in question. They have already made representation with respect to this list and may already have information pertaining to the firearm you are seeking to license.

B'Man

Can I buy from the net and import it myself or do i have to go through a dealer.

I am stating this from memory but I believe personal imports of firearms are no longer allowed so you must order through a registered firearms dealer.

I am sure others will clarify if I am wrong.

if you have identified a firearm abroad that you wish to purchase then approach your local friendly firearms dealer and ask them how much they will charge you to import that specific firearm on your behalf.
    If you are happy with what they say then get a serial number, fill in the forms, sit back and wait.

Easy Peasy.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Bananaman wrote: »
    I am stating this from memory but I believe personal imports of firearms are no longer allowed so you must order through a registered firearms dealer.

if you have identified a firearm abroad that you wish to purchase then approach your local friendly firearms dealer and ask them how much they will charge you to import that specific firearm on your behalf.
    If you are happy with what they say then get a serial number, fill in the forms, sit back and wait.

Easy Peasy.

B'Man

As far as I know, that section hasn't been commenced yet. If not, then it's still okay to import it yourself with an article 7. I had one written for me in December, so that's the most up to date information I have I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Easy Peasy.

B'Man

you are quite correct

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

you are quite correct
    But i don`t know anybody who got a licence for a firearm that was outside the state to be able to aply for import licence.......!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tricky1127 wrote: »
    But i don`t know anybody who got a licence for a firearm that was outside the state to be able to aply for import licence.......!!!
    Quite a sizeable chunk, if not the majority of pistol owners did so. Me included.

But I may have misunderstood your post, perhaps you could clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Correct in that it was written into the Act, but it hasn't been commenced yet (thankfully, since there's a bit of a flaw in how it was done - you could leave the country with your own firearm requiring only your licence; but returning with it would require an import licence).
    If you are happy with what they say...
    Of course, if you're not...
    (And that strikes me as being even worse than the nature of the relationship between applicant and gardai, where at least you have an avenue of appeal...)

QUOTE=rrpc;64396062]Quite a sizeable chunk, if not the majority of pistol owners did so. Me included.

But I may have misunderstood your post, perhaps you could clarify?[/QUOTE]

I`ve imported most of my sporting/hunting firearms...!!!! But i ment to say in the i didn`t hear or know of anybody getting a licence in the last 10 months or so of an firearm out side of the state in order to import it.! Which is unfair if we`re in the EU free trade and all that. Both my pistols i had where imported (i was told they woundn`t be re`licenced) i`ve sold them and was able to get export licence from the DOJ only because i had them licenced if i let it run out a dealer would had to do it for me. (that justice bill makes my blood boil "weapon this and weapons that" the only weapons i have are a pen and vote) watch my tracer......:D

I`ve imported most of my sporting/hunting firearms...!!!! But i ment to say in the i didn`t hear or know of anybody getting a licence in the last 10 months or so of an firearm out side of the state in order to import it.! Which is unfair if we`re in the EU free trade and all that. Both my pistols i had where imported (i was told they woundn`t be re`licenced) i`ve sold them and was able to get export licence from the DOJ only because i had them licenced if i let it run out a dealer would had to do it for me. (that justice bill makes my blood boil "weapon this and weapons that" the only weapons i have are a pen and vote) watch my tracer......:D

Yes but you can still get a dealer to do it for you as per Bananaman's post.

rrpc wrote: »
    Yes but you can still get a dealer to do it for you as per Bananaman's post.

One pistol i was looking at was $900 in the US and £950 up north and 2000 euro from Irish dealer need i say more! "Amo" a tin of 500 .22 air rifle rounds 10.50 euro in the south £3.00 up north , have a look on WWW.Egun.com to see the price`s of firearm/scopes and amo in the rest of europe why should we have to use a dealer next thing you`ll have to use a car dealer to import a car "Free Trade Eu" its rip off Eire :mad:

The dealers in the North East don`t want to help you import just sell you whats in stock out back and i`m not the only one that found this out..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

If I decide to go for a .177 air pistol do i need to be a member of a range or can I use it with land permission (probably not) which is a shame,after all its only an air pistol and range fees are a bit steep for the privalage of using an airgun.

daveob007 wrote: »
    If I decide to go for a .177 air pistol do i need to be a member of a range or can I use it with land permission (probably not) which is a shame,after all its only an air pistol and range fees are a bit steep for the privalage of using an airgun.

Yep, need an authorised range. The alternative is to build your own range, get it authorised and not charge yourself a club membership. :p If you have the space, you could build a few lanes, get a few mates involved and cut the costs down, and hey presto, there's another shooting club and range in the country.

One pistol i was looking at was $900 in the US and £950 up north and 2000 euro from Irish dealer need i say more! "Amo" a tin of 500 .22 air rifle rounds 10.50 euro in the south £3.00 up north , have a look on WWW.Egun.com to see the price`s of firearm/scopes and amo in the rest of europe why should we have to use a dealer next thing you`ll have to use a car dealer to import a car "Free Trade Eu" its rip off Eire :mad:

The dealers in the North East don`t want to help you import just sell you whats in stock out back and i`m not the only one that found this out..!!

I could put you in touch with one who would do it for a modest handling fee plus shipping and docs.

They're not all rip off merchants you know.

Yep, need an authorised range. The alternative is to build your own range, get it authorised and not charge yourself a club membership. :p If you have the space, you could build a few lanes, get a few mates involved and cut the costs down, and hey presto, there's another shooting club and range in the country.
    there could be an opening ther for someone if they had an old unused building or outhouse to use as an indoor airgun range.
    with the reccession there are plenty of old empty factory units lying idle,
    don't need much of a backstop either,,bales of straw would do.
    these kind of ranges/clubs are very comon in the uk.

The guidelines on building an airgun range, including backstops and the like, are actually very simple. Someone else may have a list of them handy, but it's an easily doable project. If you had six or seven mates, it becomes a financially viable project too, including range and club authorisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

The guidelines on building an airgun range, including backstops and the like, are actually very simple. Someone else may have a list of them handy, but it's an easily doable project. If you had six or seven mates, it becomes a financially viable project too, including range and club authorisations.
    Sounds like a great idea now that our pistols laws are concentrating on olympic style shooting.
    Air pistol and rifle are a big part of olympic shooting and also .22 rifle and pistol.
    And as previously stated ranges for airguns are simple enough with a lot less to worry about in relation to safety due to the low power of these guns.
    Could this be the way forward?

Safety is no different nor less important with airguns than with any other form of firearm

just because some of them have a shorter range does not make them any less dangerous

B'Man

Safety is no different nor less important with airguns than with any other form of firearm

just because some of them have a shorter range does not make them any less dangerous

B'Man
    true enough,airguns can kill and have done recently in the uk.
    safety will be the main priority when accessing ranges.
    ok the backstops needed are easier to build and probably a lot cheaper but safety must come first.

good idea anyway, we will wait and see

Advertisement