Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Ticket

Options
  • 09-02-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey all,

anyone else get a parking ticket from the lovely lady:D traffic warden yesterday outside Argos? Not in the actual car park.. the little lay by off the road.

Been parking there for months and all of a sudden I've been issued a ticket! I know others got them to just wanted to see if any fello boardsies got one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hey all,

anyone else get a parking ticket from the lovely lady:D traffic warden yesterday outside Argos? Not in the actual car park.. the little lay by off the road.

Been parking there for months and all of a sudden I've been issued a ticket! I know others got them to just wanted to see if any fello boardsies got one.

Nope, but I guess it was only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Maybe.. but talking to some people and I've been told (by some) I wasn't illegal parking! I was parking beyond a broken yellow line therefore I was not on the road. There are no signs up either to say you can't park there.

There are still no signs there so you'd imagine that if the council didn't want people to park there they would give us a chance and put up signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always assumed that was a bus stop or set down point or something.
    People park there? It does not look like a parking spot.

Magnus wrote: »
    I always assumed that was a bus stop or set down point or something.
    People park there? It does not look like a parking spot.

Yep.. four of us park there everyday for months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Maybe.. but talking to some people and I've been told (by some) I wasn't illegal parking! I was parking beyond a broken yellow line therefore I was not on the road. There are no signs up either to say you can't park there.

There are still no signs there so you'd imagine that if the council didn't want people to park there they would give us a chance and put up signs.

Would that area not technically be the hard shoulder ???

• Advertisement

I assumed it was some sort of slip road for joining traffic.

Why didn't you just park across the road in the actual car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They should be giving tickets to all the cars parked around the Cathedral for the Novena these days. :mad: They're up on all the footpaths. Any students with wheelchairs will have to go out on the main road to get through...

Would that area not technically be the hard shoulder ???

Don't actually know because it goes into a little lay by (best way I can describe it)

I'm going to look into it more.

I assumed it was some sort of slip road for joining traffic.

Why didn't you just park across the road in the actual car park?

Because its free :D

foto joe wrote: »
    They should be giving tickets to all the cars parked around the Cathedral for the Novena these days. :mad: They're up on all the footpaths. Any students with wheelchairs will have to go out on the main road to get through...

Totally agree with that!!

I on the other hand was not obstructing anyone or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

OP, is it a printed ticket, or one of the ones that is written out?

If it's one of the printed ones, from a handheld device, is there a '€' symbol on it where the fine amount is displayed?

If not, appeal the ticket to the Council and they will cancel it.

Loophole created by the 1975 Traffic Warden and 2002 Road Traffic Act.

There was a piece about it in the Sentinel last week.

Apparently, the handheld jobbies can't print the euro symbol and the ticket is invalid without it.

soundbyte wrote: »
    OP, is it a printed ticket, or one of the ones that is written out?

If it's one of the printed ones, from a handheld device, is there a '€' symbol on it where the fine amount is displayed?

If not, appeal the ticket to the Council and they will cancel it.

Loophole created by the 1975 Traffic Warden and 2002 Road Traffic Act.

There was a piece about it in the Sentinel last week.

Apparently, the handheld jobbies can't print the euro symbol and the ticket is invalid without it.

Thanks for that soundbyte but its the hand written one. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

Will you keep parking there? The parking at Tesco is also free and just meters away from there. You can stay for up to 3 hours.

Michifuz wrote: »
    Will you keep parking there? The parking at Tesco is also free and just meters away from there. You can stay for up to 3 hours.

Nope won't be parking there again. Spoke to City Hall and they said there will be signs put up in the next week.

This is why I think the ticket is unfair. There have been no sign's there etc. And now their handing out fines before they put up the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Honestly, its a really stupid place to park. It isnt a parking spot, it just allows sightlines for people trying to get out of lidl, which is a nightmare at the best of times. (especially if turning right)

I wish the council would take problem parking seriousy. Cars shouldnt be left just anywhere, just because there isnt a sign doesnt mean its a good place to park.

I also think that the 5 euro a day is extortionate, and as there is few places to park for people working in town all day it is easy to see that people will park / abandon their car wherever it suits them to save the money.

It would be nice if the council provided somewhere more affordable to park, and then ticketed people more when they park somewhere stupid. I also hate the cars on the kerbs around the cathedral at the mo.... such a shame nothing can be enforced in this country and all people want to do is find loopholes to get out of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey OP, you really should not be parking there. It's become a problem in recent months with cars parked there all day. These cars are blocking the line of sight for emerging cars from Argos and creating a hazard for cyclists cycling past.
    I have complained in the past about this location and it is about time relevant legislation was enforced.

If any of ye have grumblings about the failure of the Council or An Garda to honour their obligation to maintain a safe, unobstructed, unrestricted right of way for pedestrian movement during the Novena, you should articulate your view to the traffic section at City Hall or to the Garda station.

Must be a major clampdown, walked by an hour ago and the two parked vehicles had tickets on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Michifuz wrote: »

Only free for those shopping in the shopping center, if you leave you will get clamped.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

TBH, the place you're talking about does look like a parking place to me. And seeing as it's not marked with double-yellows or signs, I can't see the legal basis for the ticket.

Yes, I agree it messes up sightlines. But no more so than parking elsewhere near (but not right beside) any other driveway. This driveway is a bit busier than most, though, making the roadway a good candidate for a parking restriction. But that's all it is, right now. No way is a layby in the road a "hard shoulder": that's like saying the drop-off point outside the private coach station is "hard shoulder".

OP - if you've got the patience (and can afford it) I think it'd be great for you to contest it. We need the council/guards to start focusing on real parking issues.

Little My wrote: »
    I also think that the 5 euro a day is extortionate, and as there is few places to park for people working in town all day it is easy to see that people will park / abandon their car wherever it suits them to save the money.

E5 per day is cheap, IMHO. Especially since catching the bus to/from town would be E3.20 ... and this is what people working in town all day should be doing. Parking around the town should be left for customers of businesses, not workers in 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

If it's the area to the front of Lidl & Argos at the side of the public road that I'm thinking of then it is evidently not a parking space and parking there is a total disregard for the safety of cars coming out of that carpark and trying to get onto the public road. I'm glad the council are enforcing parking there but I do agree signs are necessary also.
    I don't see how €5 is expensive for an all day car park!

Agreed about the cars during the novena, walking from college was impossible yesterday :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

unJustMary wrote: »

We need the council/guards to start focusing on real parking issues.

E5 per day is cheap, IMHO. Especially since catching the bus to/from town would be E3.20 ... and this is what people working in town all day should be doing. Parking around the town should be left for customers of businesses, not workers in 'em.

I didnt consider the bus a reasonable option. There was no way I was gonna walk 10 mins in the rain and wait at a bus stop without shelter for the red bus to turn up seemingly whenever it felt like it.

I got it a few times, couldnt rely on it to be there at a predicted time, couldnt even rely on getting on it as it once or twice passed me as it was too full.

And then when I got to town, still having to walk 10mins to get to place of work. And sit in traffic on a smelly bus when I could be in my car in the same traffic.

But, the 5E was too expensive for me, it works out at 1250 a year which was extortionate when I was taking home c.1700 per month. More to the point, 1250 per year works out at almost 4 months rent for me. So I did what the op did, I just found somewhere free to park in town.

5E is too expensive when there are not reasonable alternatives. If there was a bus service every ten minutes, a route closer, covered shelters... it would have made more sense to get it. But there isnt the infrastructure here.

I lived in England for 6 years and never needed a car. The bus stop was at the end of the road, the bus came every 5mins in peak time and ran till around 2 in the morning, and was about 90p per trip if I remember correctly. Plus there were bus lanes, so it was quicker to get the bus anyway.

Sorry about the off topic rant, but the argument that everyone should just get the bus just doesnt do it for me. And the op shouldnt have parked in what is essentially the driveway of a business, and should just pay the ticket. I think the idea of leaving your car there for the day is a 'real parking issue'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

A St Raphael's Credit Union* diary plonked on the dashboard is known to take care of pesky ticket-wielding traffic wardens (allegedly);)

Seen a thread somewhere about it. Highly sought after diaries I'm told.

I didnt consider the bus a reasonable option. There was no way I was gonna walk 10 mins in the rain and wait at a bus stop without shelter for the red bus to turn up seemingly whenever it felt like it.
    I lived in England for 6 years and never needed a car. The bus stop was at the end of the road, the bus came every 5mins in peak time and ran till around 2 in the morning, and was about 90p per trip if I remember correctly.
    I used to live in England and walked further each day for less frequent trains.
    An umbrella is cheaper than one day's parking.

In my year and a half walking twenty minutes to work here in Galway I have only gotten uncomfortably wet about six times, two of which were on one really bad day last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Park in the salthill carpark and get the bus into town. Car park is free there. Bus stop across the road and costs €1.60 each way. Rather than paying €5 in the car park across from agros, you're saving €1.80.

I have such a sad life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

OP The owners of the land/building didn't just angle it out for your benefit. If they did not have to that they would have used the area for their own parking inside the car park. The original road didn't swerve in that way either so as said it was probably a planning condition for line of sight. Pay your fine and be done with it.

As a frequent pedestrian in that area, I see little evidence of any planning :rolleyes:

IMHO there shouldn't be right turns out of that car-park at all, there's wayyy too much traffic on Headford Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

unJustMary wrote: »
    As a frequent pedestrian in that area, I see little evidence of any planning :rolleyes:

IMHO there shouldn't be right turns out of that car-park at all, there's wayyy too much traffic on Headford Rd.
    That may be so but the builders would have to build it as they were told. Check the planning application if you don't believe it so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I don't see how €5 is expensive for an all day car park!

The Blackbox all day parking for a fiver isn't too bad but charges for other carparks around the City are a complete rip-off. Parking in Dublin City is cheaper than in Galway; and petrol/diesel prices are slightly higher here too (despite the tankers coming directly into the docks and there being lower rents for garages here!). Galway basically has a Congestion Charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Actually I think the €5 for all day parking is that bad at all - it is the full day after all.

If I'm going to be in town for a shorter time I park in one of the underground car parks - In the past few months I've gotten really good at backing into tight spaces. Gives me a sense of accomplishment :o

• Advertisement

Underground carparks? Tell me more ...

I know of one behind a hotel, but understood that was for guests only.

Advertisement