Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB going at a snails pace!

• 09-02-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey, I share a house with a few others and we all have computers and log on to the same Eircom land line internet connection. Most of the time it is good and fast and pages load up almost instantly. However, other times it can be extremely slow and basically surfing the web is like watching a pot of water boil. I think one of my house mates downloads movies a lot and it seems to be very slow when he is in his room. Do you think this could be the problem or could it be that my computer has some viruses that are affecting the BB speeds?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

Its the downloads that mess it up.

In the evening time everyone is downloading , not just on ur local network, that slows down eircoms service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ring tech support and then make an official complaint, probably wont do much but least you know you moaned at them over it.

I'm hitting 0.91mb/S as we speak. If it gets any slower it wont be broadband it will be back to dial up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If someone is using a bittorrent client to download movies then your normal surfing will suffer badly. This is because the torrent upload will cripple the download despite being lower.

Best thing you can do is use your router facilities to throttle the bandwidth favourably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Things weren't that bad until the new 24MB service from Eircom & Vodafone, since it's release there has been more and more posts here on the boards and other forums. You would of thought they learnt the last time round with the 6MB - 8MB upgardes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Things weren't that bad until the new 24MB service from Eircom & Vodafone, since it's release there has been more and more posts here on the boards and other forums. You would of thought they learnt the last time round with the 6MB - 8MB upgardes.

Ah its all become clear now. When did the 24mb speed become available? My 7mb package is sh*t for around 2 weeks now. Im downloading at around 100KB/s at the mo:mad:

• Advertisement

same here, ping and speed go to ****e in the evenings.

We just got to keep complaining, the more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Ive just moved to Eircom on the 7mb package, i get speeds of 5mb most of the time which is great, but the pages are always timing out/not loading, is this a contention issue?
    This is happening all day long, not just at peak times. :confused:
    My internet is still showing as connected but webpages time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I dont think this should happen during the day as much as in the evening after 6pm. Contact Eircom broadband support and they should run you through a few things to check your connection.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Ive just moved to Eircom on the 7mb package, i get speeds of 5mb most of the time which is great, but the pages are always timing out/not loading, is this a contention issue?
    This is happening all day long, not just at peak times. :confused:
    My internet is still showing as connected but webpages time out.

Thats packet loss. I have it too. its ridiculous in the evenings.

Has eveyone here rang eircom and complained? If you dont , these problems will never be solved. While ur at it tell eircom you have friends that have the same problem but they couldnt be arsed ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

iknorr wrote: »
    Thats packet loss. I have it too. its ridiculous in the evenings.

Has eveyone here rang eircom and complained? If you dont , these problems will never be solved. While ur at it tell eircom you have friends that have the same problem but they couldnt be arsed ringing.

Ive been onto tech support, then made an official complaint and today(a week later) rang them again.

They cant be arsed to even ring back people in the standard 2-3 business day and now on Wednesday my official complaint expires. Ill be ringing them again Tuesday because I don't see them getting back to me before it expires.

• Advertisement
Advertisement