Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy walking route for young learner

Options
  • 09-02-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My 13 year old son has been tormenting me to bring him hillwalking and teach him some map reading skills.

I was hoping that you could suggest some reasonably easy routes in Wicklow or the Blackstairs that would have good features and be mainly off track.

I would like to encourage him by starting with an interesting (but easy) route.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

We've brought Cubs up by Lough Bray to the top of Kippure before, easy short route with one steep climb.

Plenty of height to allow for locating features on the map and there is a road down off Kippure if you want to bail out to an easy finish :)

Park at A on the linked map and go up between the two lakes
    MAP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Don't leave valueables or bags in your car though! Other than that its a great walk, with good views.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

We've brought Cubs up by Lough Bray to the top of Kippure before, easy short route with one steep climb.

Plenty of height to allow for locating features on the map and there is a road down off Kippure if you want to bail out to an easy finish :)

Park at A on the linked map and go up between the two lakes
    MAP

Thanks Cookie Monster, that looks good.
    Can you remember how long it took to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Git101 wrote: »
    I was hoping that you could suggest some reasonably easy routes in Wicklow or the Blackstairs that would have good features and be mainly off track.

I would like to encourage him by starting with an interesting (but easy) route.

Thanks
    Blackstairs mountain itself is an easy walk. From Scullogue Gap take the small road leading towards the mountain (parking at the gap itself may be easiest). After a few hundred yards you'll come to a sign which directs walkers (and before that one which says walkers keep out :) ). This leads up a narrow overgrown path leading directly onto the mountain - follow the ridge and a good path will appear which leads all the way to the top.

The ridge after Blackstairs is clear and on a good day would be easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Git101 wrote: »
    Thanks Cookie Monster, that looks good.
    Can you remember how long it took to do?

3-4 hours maybe, but Cubs are slow. You can adjust the length by deciding which way you go from top of lakes to top of mountain. IE cut to road and up is quick, straight up is rougher and slower, or you can circle around the back and up which is longer still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

3-4 hours maybe, but Cubs are slow. You can adjust the length by deciding which way you go from top of lakes to top of mountain. IE cut to road and up is quick, straight up is rougher and slower, or you can circle around the back and up which is longer still

Thanks for the info.
    I'm guessing that the shorter the better for his first outing but you never know he may wear me out :D

Advertisement