Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thieves are muppets

• 09-02-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

So last night, some scumbag decided to have a go at stealing my bike and my mates car.

Something tells me this thief wasn't quite right in the head though.

He smashed the car windows, took a few euro in change but left a SatNav & Taxi meter. He tried, but failed to access the ignition wiring.

He then decided to have a go at hotwiring the bike. What's idiotic about it is that he couldn't get past the disc lock and chain, so even if he got the bike started he would have had to carry the bike away.

I only just got the bike back from the workshop on Friday for repairs in the radiator, and know I've to get it back there to fix the ignition & steering lock. :mad:

That's 4 attempted thefts and 3 burglaries in the area in about a month. This was such a quiet area before (Roselawn)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Did they cause much damage ?

What type of bike is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

KTRIC wrote: »
    Did they cause much damage ?

What type of bike is it ?

Ignition barrel is broken and some electrical cables are cut/torn out.

My mate just spoke to the Gardai. They say there has been a streak of car break-ins and burglaries in Roselawn in the last 3-4 nights. Over 20 incidents in total. :eek:

Anyone living in the area should pay extra attention to the security of their car/bike and make sure not to leave any house windows open/unlocked etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

Pure scum **** like that have nothing and never will cause they aint got nowt upstairs so they have to mess with someone elses property.
    At least you still have your bike and can fix it i know a chap whos bike was burned out because they couldnt steal it.
    Hope you get her sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bike into the house the only way, ive done it before. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

You'll get a movement activated video cam and a video activator for around €260 in Reliable Security Products Drumcondra (down laneway almost directly opposite Fagans). It won't stop this but at least you'll have the pleasure of shopping him in (or beating him up).

I have no connection to Reliable Security Products BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My bandit was robbed last year. 06W877 twas the last of the bandit 6's. had the gixxer paint scheme on it.
    It was found a few days later down be billberry here in waterford.
    me mate went out to see it. he said that whoever robbed it definitley crashed her on the right hand side.
    Im so proud my bandit hurt a knacker living down bilberry.
    Saing that I never got it back. I had fully comp at the time and got me money from adelaide fairly quick. Bought meself a K2 gsxr 1000. I loves it but I still miss me bandit. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

seanybiker wrote: »
    Bought meself a K2 gsxr 1000. I loves it but I still miss me bandit. :(
    [Off Topic] Could you post some pics SeanyBiker? Or have you already done so in the "Bike Pics" thread? I have a K2 1000 race bike and interested in seeing what it looks like in road trim! ;)

[On Topic] I'm terrified of having knackers / thiefs near my bike. Thankfully (touch wood) it never happened! But I am extra careful (or try to be anyway). Basically, I'm either on the bike or it's in the kitchen locked up. Simple as. And I always alternate my routes to and from work. I try to never park in the same spot. Try to have a line of sight on the bike when I ride it to work. I don't go home if I feel I'm being followed... Yes, I may be paranoid but with that scum you're never too careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I got myself one of these: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    Think I got a 2m long one. Used to use just a disc lock, handy to put on, but now I use the chain. Takes a bit longer to lock up, but worth it.
    If i'm heading somewhere a bit dodgy I bring the chain in a pannier. Weighs a ton!
    Also got one for my bicycle! Cost me about €120 for the bicycle one (it's shorter) but after having the horrible feeling of walking down to the car park and realising your bike is gone, it's worth it.

I got 3 chains in total and it was free delivery. Funny getting the 3 chains in one package, could barely pick the package off the floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

where's roselawn? for future reference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

[Off Topic] Could you post some pics SeanyBiker? Or have you already done so in the "Bike Pics" thread? I have a K2 1000 race bike and interested in seeing what it looks like in road trim! ;)

[On Topic] I'm terrified of having knackers / thiefs near my bike. Thankfully (touch wood) it never happened! But I am extra careful (or try to be anyway). Basically, I'm either on the bike or it's in the kitchen locked up. Simple as. And I always alternate my routes to and from work. I try to never park in the same spot. Try to have a line of sight on the bike when I ride it to work. I don't go home if I feel I'm being followed... Yes, I may be paranoid but with that scum you're never too careful!

Ha ha as if they could keep up with you ya mad thing

• Advertisement

where's roselawn? for future reference?

Just around the corner from Coolmine train station. North across the canal and take a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

sorry to hear of your bad luck.

I often think about immobilising my vehicles by removing critical fuses before I leave it, ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse etc, anyone ever tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gonzales wrote: »

I often think about immobilising my vehicles by removing critical fuses before I leave it, ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse etc, anyone ever tried this?
    Throwing the bike into the back of a van would make feck all difference to removing fuses. Best buying two large rated chains and padlocks to match and anchor the bike to something solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

are you still driving the DNA rabbit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gonzales wrote: »

Or you could buy a immobilizer. Works better.

OP, Almax chain is quite good, my bike is in plain view anybody who cares to look at it and its been grand because of the chain. I have seen a few people sniffing around it, but nothing serious so far.

But I don't think this will help you as the bike thieves in your area sound like they will just trash it if they can't steal it.

weeder wrote: »
    are you still driving the DNA rabbit?

Yup. Hoping to get an Aprilia Mana 850 shortly. Would help if I didn't have to keep spending money to fix the current bike! €60 to fix the ignition & wiring this time. Not too bad I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

what is the issue with you and gears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ha ha as if they could keep up with you ya mad thing
    Oh is that why I've never been followed home then? :confused:

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Tigger wrote: »

i had a dna 50,fun but a bit on the slow side,id love a 180 though like yours rabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

mental tings them the gilera 180tys:)

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »

I'm lazy. :p

And besides, the Mana 850 has 7 sequential pseudo gears. Twist n' Go is great for around the city. Manual gears for everywhere else.

weeder wrote: »
    i had a dna 50,fun but a bit on the slow side,id love a 180 though like yours rabbit.

Yup...accelerates like a rocket up to about 50mph. Then it crawls to 75 ::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm lazy. :p

And besides, the Mana 850 has 7 sequential pseudo gears. Twist n' Go is great for around the city. Manual gears for everywhere else.

its a case of whsat yerr used to i recon

i'd love a go on one to see if they feel like a real geasr box

Advertisement