Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay pride to be held in Tallaght?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i hope this is true!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭witty_name

It is most definitely true.

It just has to be passed by the county council, which was meant to be done on Monday, but I think it got moved back until March.
    Then if the organisers agree we smooth sailin'.

instead of going to pride this year its coming to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eh
    Did anyone actually read what was proposed? Or just read the headline? He is not proposing that the actual parade would be going to Tallaght rather that South Dublin Co Co and Dublin LGBTQ Pride talk to each other about hosting an event In Tallaght!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Also - There is absolutely no way Dublin Pride would agree to go that far outside of the city centre, in fact with all the planning that goes in I would say they've a venue already decided

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

yeah i know i didnt mean the actual parade ha!i meant all the stuff thats going to be held in tallaght

For the second year running Tallaght Library is hosting a series of events for LGBT History Month, and this year their schedule is bigger and better than ever!

11th February 2010: Literary Evening (7-9pm at Tallaght Library)
    Join Jamie ONeill (author of the best-selling At Swim, Two Boys), Denis Kehoe (author of Nights Beneath the Nation) and Jarlath Gregory (author of G.A.A.Y., Snapshots) for what promises to be a lively discussion of the topic of writing gay fiction. The evening will also feature readings from the authors books.

18th February 2010: Irish Gay History (7-9pm at Tallaght Library)
    As LGBT History Month shows us, theres more to gay history than just the last few years. Join Brian Lacey, author of Terrible Queer Creatures: A History of Homosexuality in Ireland and very special guest, Senator David Norris, as they discuss times gone by and how theyve brought us to where we are now.

25th February 2010: Movie Night @ Tallaght Library (7-9pm)
    Especially for LGBT History Month, the monthly Movie Night is screening the award-winning Milk, directed by Gus Van Sant and starring Sean Penn, as they legendary Gay Rights Activist, Harvey Milk. Like all other events at the County Library, the event is free.

This year, we have a wide range of events that we hope will be of interest to all of our borrowers. Booking is essential for all events as places are limited. To book, please contact the County Library on: 01 4620073.

Terry Pratchet

Oh yeah, sorry.

I didn't make that clear.

I heard talks that they'd use the stadium for an event too which would be very cool.

Think it's lovely to see a straight cllr concerning himself with lgbt issue.

witty_name wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sorry.

I didn't make that clear.

I heard talks that they'd use the stadium for an event too which would be very cool.

Think it's lovely to see a straight cllr concerning himself with lgbt issue.
    Agreed, it is brilliant that Cllr Looney did this unprompted, however Dublin Pride might not take up the offer - I would suggest maybe contacting Cllr Looney and Dublin Pride to say you support this - as well as that they might even see more potential IF there were local volunteers to help out

Terry Pratchet

I've expressed my support for the cllr and he knows I'd be more than willing to help out.
    It'd be nice if others would do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I like the notion that he would find it "desirable" but don't find it desirable myself.

Most transport routes converge on the city centre, making it most accessible in general, even to places which might be physically closer to Tallaght. If you lived anywhere in the Northern suburbs it would be far more difficult to get to.

Tbh, I think moving it would be more about the prestige of holding it in South Dublin (the county that is, I'm not getting into a "Northside-Southside" thing), and generally impractical. I certainly don't think I'd bother trekking to Tallaght for it.

I've expressed my support for the cllr and he knows I'd be more than willing to help out.
    It'd be nice if others would do the same.
    Great stuff - contacting Dublin Pride too would help

Terry Pratchet

I like the notion that he would find it "desirable" but don't find it desirable myself.

Most transport routes converge on the city centre, making it most accessible in general, even to places which might be physically closer to Tallaght. If you lived anywhere in the Northern suburbs it would be far more difficult to get to.

Tbh, I think moving it would be more about the prestige of holding it in South Dublin (the county that is, I'm not getting into a "Northside-Southside" thing), and generally impractical. I certainly don't think I'd bother trekking to Tallaght for it.
    Sigh - as I pointed out this is not about the parade itself

Terry Pratchet

As was pointed out, it's not the Parade itself which is being moved, he was inviting the organsiers to host some events in his ward.
    I also don't think that it would be about the 'prestige' of holding it in South Dublin, what I think happened was that he's in the South Dublin constituency therefore he can influence what happens there.
    Hopefully this will encourage other constituencies to show there support and offer their services too.

It was also mentioned in Panti's blog:
    http://www.pantibar.com/blog.aspx?contentid=5935

What do you guys think?

I thought Pantis response was quite nasty - you would swear that Gay people only live in the city centre and it was quite derogatory towards people living in Tallaght as well

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Sorry, really tired when I read that. Missed those posts :p I hate it when I do that

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I thought Pantis response was quite nasty - you would swear that Gay people only live in the city centre and it was quite derogatory towards people living in Tallaght as well

It doesn't read that way to me, I think it's entirely tongue in cheek. People come from all over the country for Pride, and in some cases internationally. It's quite natural they would all congregate in the city centre since that's where public transport goes. Tallaght is at least another half an hour on the luas, probably more including walking time on either side. Considering how dramatically the weather affects attendance, I don't think the added journey time would help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    For the second year running Tallaght Library is hosting a series of events for LGBT History Month, and this year their schedule is bigger and better than ever!

11th February 2010: Literary Evening (7-9pm at Tallaght Library)
    Join Jamie ONeill (author of the best-selling At Swim, Two Boys), Denis Kehoe (author of Nights Beneath the Nation) and Jarlath Gregory (author of G.A.A.Y., Snapshots) for what promises to be a lively discussion of the topic of writing gay fiction. The evening will also feature readings from the authors books.

18th February 2010: Irish Gay History (7-9pm at Tallaght Library)
    As LGBT History Month shows us, theres more to gay history than just the last few years. Join Brian Lacey, author of Terrible Queer Creatures: A History of Homosexuality in Ireland and very special guest, Senator David Norris, as they discuss times gone by and how theyve brought us to where we are now.

25th February 2010: Movie Night @ Tallaght Library (7-9pm)
    Especially for LGBT History Month, the monthly Movie Night is screening the award-winning Milk, directed by Gus Van Sant and starring Sean Penn, as they legendary Gay Rights Activist, Harvey Milk. Like all other events at the County Library, the event is free.

This year, we have a wide range of events that we hope will be of interest to all of our borrowers. Booking is essential for all events as places are limited. To book, please contact the County Library on: 01 4620073.

Thanks for the info Johnnymcg, I'm definitely interested in going to the Irish Gay History evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Any women presenting at this Event?

lushballs wrote: »
    Any women presenting at this Event?
    it seems not

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement