Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to a christening

Options
  • 09-02-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

hi guys... i was a few months ago asking some of you who have opted not to raise your children outside of the catholic church... i'm just wondering how your families took it and did you have like a naming ceremony/party instead and if so, how did you go about it?!

My niece was christened recently while i like the idea of a christening, myself and hubby are not religious and don't ever seen ourselves raising our children are catholic therefore it would be hypocritical of us to have our child christened... both our mums are quite religious, not hard core but they do believe and attend mass and we've tested the water a few times with this and both have come back saying " you can't not have a baby christened" and laughed at the thought of such a ludicrous idea :( when we explain our reasoning behind it they say "well that's alright but you can't not have a child christened"... i know its our child and its our choice how to raise and the mums will have to accept it but i don't want to cause any grief between us!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This has come up before so here are the previous threads which you may find helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510317
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566515

I would suggest that you make your plans, sort what you want, when you want it and issue inviations to family and if anyone has an issue with it they do not have to attend.
    Start as you mean to go on, it is our child, your choice, your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

MY bosses sister was against a christening as she had her own views on life and religion. She got alot of pressure from grandparents also.
    So she organised a naming day for the baby, they all gathered in a lovely spot in the south east of Ireland over looking the sea, the sun was shining and a priest close to the family came and "blessed" the baby over an old stone well :o Think they had a picnic afterwards

It was a lovely summers day and there were no prayers said but the occassion was marked and everyone was happy.

Advertisement