Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner/owner wanted 2-4k incvestment

• 09-02-2010 4:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭

Type of boat

Fast sailing (8-15 knots) cruiser. 4 berth. Tender and outboard motors.
    Probably just about trailerable.
    This will be sailed on East coast between Dublin and Arklow.
    Mainly sailing fishing swimming in Dublin Bay.
    Longer overnighters are probable.
    Intending at least one channel passage per year. e.g. Wales, Isle of Mann.
    Waterford Cornwall Severn Estuary are also possible.

I want a boat where you don't have to worry about deep water currents and calculating for tides.
    I also want something that can sail into Malahide on low tide and probably beach on coasts so this implies a draft of about 2 foot.

Person.

Me:
    I have kids and am a qualified/certified ICC.
    I want to sail the odd day, weekend and one or two longer trips a year.
    I am quite capable of all that but If I don't have someone pushing me along, I won't get out doing things.
    I intend to sail France withing the next five years probably with one of the kids.
    At that time I'll either buy your share out or you can opt to use it in France.

You:
    A beginner in keelboat, competent crew or skipper.
    You have a garden or yard capable of holding a 30 foot boat trailer and a car capable of pulling one and a half tonnes and a licence to cover it. You will need to do this at least twice a year.
    If you are a blue water sailor I doubt you are interested in this but you are welcome.
    If you are a marine surveyor or have marine outboard engine experience I'm very interested in you.
    Smoker not preferred but welcome as long as you don't smoke inside or over food.
    Non drinkers are also welcome if they offer to drive me back from the pub when necessary.
    If you have kids all the better. Male or female. That goes for you and the kids:)
    You live within a half hour of Balbriggan to Arklow, preferable somewhere within a half hour of Wicklow Town to Howth.

The boat I'm looking at takes about an hour and a half to get sailing from trailer so when launched it
    is sensible to keep it afloat for weeks or months before storing it for winter.

Costs:
    Capital costs for you 2-4k up front. That gets boat, tender engines rigging and trailer. It should also cover transport to Ireland and kit like charts, GPS, safety flares, VHF, first aid etc. and surveyor fees.
    Running costs about 5-600 per year. That covers insurance and maintainance (assuming we launch and retrieve it ourselves). Bertage can be 60 per week in places. Moorings can be had for about 800 a year but are hard to come by in Dublin. If you know anywhere from Dublin to Arklow where there is a marina or moorings we can look into that.

Given you will pay from 200 to 2000 just for sailing club membership 2-4k once off for a boat and qualified skipper is quite reasonable. And I'm paying the other half anyway!
    PM me if you are interested.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

bump . No replies in months! As the sailing season just started and people may be doing courses you may be interested in this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not interested, sorry, but curious as to what type of boat you're talking about - personally I wouldn't be at all comfortable going offshore in something with a 2' draft :)

I think you're asking a lot btw with all the restrictions / conditions you're imposing. Also, anyone seriously interested would probably already be a member of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was going to reply months ago but did not want to be negative. You are never going to find a partner with your very specific terms and conditions. Having your partner store the boat, use their vehicle for launch and recovery and also having to either sail in france or be bought out are terms that are not going to be appealing to most. To be honest you are not really bringing much to the table. Good luck though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

murphym7 wrote: »
    I was going to reply months ago but did not want to be negative. You are never going to find a partner with your very specific terms and conditions. Having your partner store the boat, use their vehicle for launch and recovery and also having to either sail in France or be bought out are terms that are not going to be appealing to most. To be honest you are not really bringing much to the table. Good luck though.

Thanks for your input guys. It wasn't a "you have to tick all these boxes"
    The buy out was an offer to buy back their share if they weren't interested. I haven't space so any help would be accepted for storage (thought with the 8m I might get it in the gate) . I'm really only interested in someone who wants to crew or cruise but if they have space fair enough. I also don't have a car with tow bar and if I get a boat in the next few weeks will have to find someone to tow her or will have to sail her but will still have to get someone collect the trailer.

I was looking into multihulls (hence low draft) and might get a 8m one in the next few weeks. If someone had a trailer etc. then that might help. Im also looking into storage for the Summer while I refit. Now the idea is to do some coastal cruising and in three to five years time get another 9-11 m boat to sail to Europe. The 8m Im looking at is rigged and seaworthy but needs some upgrading and will need to look into some stays or sails maybe in a year or two if I sail her. It has been up to Scotland Isle of Mann across the Irish sea etc. I'm interested in day sailing Dublin or cruising weekend say from Waterford up to Carlingford and maybe Isle of Mann or Wales.

I don't fancy just getting it without someone else interested in sailing or doing some sanding painting sewing wiring etc. and learning about it as I do.

Advertisement