Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KILDARE SOLDIERS Killed or Injured ww1

• 09-02-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

SOLDIERS
    FROM
    KILDARE
    Killed or Injured during
    WW I
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~curragh/casualty.htm#Top

Thought I would re-post the Commonwealth War Graves Commission link.

The "Debt of Honour Register" is the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War.

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14
    Any chance of a pinned links section.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

There is currently a book been done covering the Kildare casualties.There are also other lists to be found online such as Wexford,Tipperary,Dublin ,Roscommon,Sligo and Longford but bare in mind that these lists may be incomplete.For anyone interested in casualty lists or the counties involvement in the war there are many books after been published and more with the publishers covering some of the counties.Books already done are listed below supplied by Enfield from the Militaria forum,Enfield is Author and co Author of some of these books.Further books coming out are Kilkenny,Carlow,Waterford,Offaly and Kildare as mentioned above,also worth mentioning is the Guinness Roll of Honour and The Bank of Ireland Roll of Honour.

Carlow Follow Them up from Carlow. Maguire, Paul. Naas, Leinster Leader, 2002.
    ISBN -

Donegal Donegal, Ireland and the First World War. McGinley, Niall. Letterkenny, An Crann, 2005
    ISBN –

Donegal County Donegal Book of Honour. Dublin(?), Co. Donegal Book of Honour Committee, 2002.
    ISBN -

Dublin Dublin City & County Book of Honour. Dublin, National Book of Honour Committee. N/D.
    ISBN -

Galway Galway and the Great War. Henry, William. Cork, Mercier, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 85635 5247

Galway Forgotten Heroes. Galway soldiers of the Great War. Henry, William. Cork, Mercier, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 85635 556 8

Kerry The Kingdom in the Empire. A Portrait of Kerry during World War I. Martin, Thomas F. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 84588 565 6

Kildare Far from the Short Grass. The story of Kildare men in two world wars. Durney, James. Naas, Leinster Leader, 1999.
    ISBN 0 9530521 2 5/3

Limerick The Widow’s Penny. McNamara, Patrick J. Parteen, Privately published, 2000.
    ISBN –

Limerick Their Name Liveth for Evermore. The Memorial Record of Limerick Casualties of World War II. McNamara, Patrick J. Parteen, Limerick Historical Publications, 2006.
    ISBN 978 0 9554386 0 8

Louth The Unreturned Army. County Louth Dead in the Great War. Hall, Donal. Dundalk, Dundalgan, 2005.
    ISBN0 9521456 4 2

Mayo Mayo Comrades of the Great War. Clarke, P. J. & Feeney, Michael. Ballina, Padraig Corcoran, 2006.
    ISBN 0 9554368 0 X

Sligo Sligo Men in the Great War. McGuinn, James. Belturbet, Naughan, 1994.
    ISBN 0 9524841 0 2

Tipperary The Tipperary War Dead. Burnell, Tom & Ruth. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2008.
    ISBN 978 1 84588 938 8

Wicklow The Wicklow War Dead. Burnell, Tom & Seamus. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2009,
    ISBN 978 1 8458 8949 4

Wexford War Dead, by Tom Burnell and Margaret Gilbert, also by Nonsuch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Just to keep ye all up to date.
    There will be a Kerry book launched by the History Press soon giving another view of the Kerry involvement in ww1. It will not have detailed accounts of casualties but the Kerry County Library in Tralee have been given a database of Kerrymen (by someone you know) and will have it available for use by the general public for FREE within the next month.
    The 'Offaly War Dead' will be launched in the premises of the Offaly Historical and Archaeological Society in Tullamore at 3pm on Sunday 28th of this month.
    The Waterford War Dead will be published around September by the History Press.
    I like your posts on the different orums on the net Arnhem, we are very alike.
    Thats all I have to add.
    Keep up the good work, and look in the Irish Times (maybe the suppliment) this Saturday.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Arnhem, could you please tell me who is doing the new Kildare book as I know about 2 brothers from there,one KIA and the other sentenced to death but sentence commuted, might be a good story for the book.
    Regards,
    kabakuyu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Just on a side note. I visited the British army graveyard in the curragh last week. On the top of the hill there were 20+ gravestones. All seem to fall between 1915-1918. Does anyone know the history of these fallen men? All young lads 19-25 so I dont think it was illness (might be wrong). But would love to know some more, any help would be great ;) Oh and anyone know when the museum is to open in the curragh camp :confused:

Here's the CWGC link for the Curragh http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=73869&mode=1 ,it's possible that many died here,training,illness and so on.

• Advertisement

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Arnhem, could you please tell me who is doing the new Kildare book as I know about 2 brothers from there,one KIA and the other sentenced to death but sentence commuted, might be a good story for the book.
    Regards,
    kabakuyu.
    I've just sent a PM kabakuyu

I know of only one Kildare book on the cards at the moment. It is being compiled by lads from Kildare from not only all the usual war dead databases but also every article concerning Kildare casualties mentioned in the newspapers of Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford, Laoise, Clare, Carlow, Kilkenny Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Dublin, Offaly and Tipperary. The Kerry newspapers have not been done in this respect, yet. More information as it is nearing completion.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Here is Kerry. It is interactive and free to use.
    http://www.kerrycolib.ie/www1intro.asp

Enjoy. Regards.
    Tom.

Your a busy man Tom,I'll give you that.Good to see more lists becoming available.A new IMR in the near future is whats needed as the interest grows.

100 years is long enough for these lads being forgotten. If it is ever to happen it has to be now. Its only 4 years away and I reckon if everyone gets involved it WILL happen but from my experience it will not go ahead with the aid of our elected elite.
    To date, not one single solitary helpful reply has been received by myself to pleas of support or practical help in this endeavor. When I see our President at commemorations for these heroes, and then the shutters come down when, help is needed, proves to me they are not really interested in this at all. You can bet your bottom dollar if it does come to pass they will be there to bask in the glory, and lay wreaths on the new memorials. Evil flourishes where good men do nothing.
    I presume that by recognising that IMR is corrupted and inaccurate and way out of date it will be an embarrassment. Now which elected representative wants to admit that?
    We are on our own lads, as it was in the beginning. The final number will be known, their names will be known. This WILL happen and these heroes WILL be remembered.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭NUIG_FiannaFail

Fighting to expand the British empire, these men are not real republicans and patriots:(

Troll alert

I just got an email from a lad in Scotland who has been compiling the War Dead from there. In the past he sent me information on Irishmen who died while resident in Scotland and I exchanged any informaiton I had on them. Surprise surprise he only went and writ a book on the Irish of Scotland who died in ww1. He is sending me a copy and I am looking forward to reading it immensely.
    I will let ye know in due course about it.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

These two sites are very useful for those of us with an interest in various aspects of Irish involvement in WWI. Many thanks and congrats to those involved.

The Kerry one in particular is remarkably thorough. The Kildare one, with respect, needs a bit of work. Although I have only examined a small part of it in detail, I have come across several duplications, errors, mistranscriptions and spurious entries. And I have only checked as far as the letter B!

I took the liberty of checking up on the soldiers posted as “Missing” to see if they appeared on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records. Missing is usually synonymous with “killed in action.”. Only about a third of British and Commonwealth fatalities of the Great War have single identifiable graves. The rest are all officially “missing” and commemorated on monuments such as the Menin Gate and Thiepval memorials.

Army records are pretty punctilious about commemorating those who have no known graves. Of the soldiers on the Kildare site listed as missing, only 11 of them have entries on the CWGC site. I have listed them below, along with commentaries. The conclusion must be that those described as missing but not included on the CWGC records turned up safe and well, (or as well as one could be in such circumstances!) after a time.

Of those confirmed dead, I strongly suspect that Craig, Meredith, Reid and Shott were not Irish. They may well have been born in Kildare but as the Curragh was such a large military base, I suspect a lot of army families produced children there before moving on to their next assignment. Such children could not properly be called Irish. My own father was born in the Middle East for exactly the same reason. As were Irish rugby internationals Jamie Heaslip and Brendan Mullin.

I would be very surprised if John Charles Meredith of the South Wales Borderers was anything other than Welsh. EH Reid and HH Shott served with English regiments and their parents were based in England. And although Craig served with the Royal Irish Rifles, his parents were from Scotland and he served in one of the UVF battalions of the 36th Ulster Division, which was probably a better fit for a Scot than it would have been for many Irishmen!.

Anyway, here’s what the CWGC says about those listed as “Missing” on the Kildare website. The plain script info is on the "Kildare Soldiers" website. The italics contain additional info from CWGC.

PS I have tried to be as thorough as possible in my findings but I am not infallible. If anyone finds any errors in my findings please do correct them and accept my apologies.

Confirmed Dead
    Craig, W. 17489, Private, Royal Irish Rifles, 11th Bn, Died July 1, 1916 (originally reported missing), Born Sallins. 29,
    Son of the late William Craig and of Jessie Craig, of West Rd. Saline, Fife. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, France.

Daly, Thomas. Colonel, Royal Army Medical Corps, Reported missing, 1917, later believed drowned in Egypt, Born Monasterevan. 53, Decoration Companion of St. Michael and George.
    Died .April 15, 1917. Husband of Ciara Elizabeth Daly, Commemorated on Mikra Memorial, Greece

Darcy, Myles. 26912, Acting Lance Corporal, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 10th Bn, Reported missing, December 23, 1916, Born Athy.
    Spelling is D'Arcy on CWGC site, Died November, 13 1916, Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, France

McGuire, J. 5561, Private, Royal Irish Regiment, Reported missing, believed drowned, June 2, 1917. Born Naas.
    Spelling is Maguire on CWGC site, Died April 15, 1917, Commemorated on Mikra Memorial, Greece.

Reid, Captain, Suffolk Regiment, Missing in action, 1914. Born Newbridge.
    Possibly EH Reid died August 26, 1914. Son of George Boileau Reid and Florence M. Reid, of Fair Hill, Camberley, Surrey; husband of Elsie Vivian Ogle (formerly Reid), of Brownes Lodge Reigate, Surrey. Commemorated on La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, France.

Meredith, J.C. 13110, Lance Corporal, South Wales Borderers, 4th Bn, Reported missing, June 23, 1917. Born Newbridge.
    John Charles Meredith, Died November 15, 1917, Commemorated on Basra Memorial, Iraq

Molloy, J. 4979, Private, Leinster Regiment, Reported missing, October 21, 1916. Born Naas,
    Died September 3, 1916, Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, France

Murray, J. 9715, Private, Royal Irish Regiment, Reported wounded and missing, December 2, 1916. Born Naas.
    Joseph Murray, Died September 3, 1916, Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, France

Riordan, T. 6058, Private, Irish Guards, 1st Bn, Reported missing, November 11, 1916. Born Newbridge.
    Timothy Riordan, Died September 17, 1916, Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, France

Shott, H.H. Captain, Royal Berks. Missing in action 1914. Born Co Kildare.
    Henry Hammond. Shott, Aged 38. Died August 26, 1914, Son of Nils Shott, of Dover, Kent, England; husband of Hazel Morris Shott, of 245, North Broadway, Yonkers, New York, U.S.A. Buried at Maroilles Communal Cemetery

Unconfirmed
    Alfort, S.F. Private, London Regiment, Missing in action, 1916. Born Newbridge.
    No WWI fatality named Alfort on CWGC Website,

Brown, G. 10367, Private, Hussars, Reported missing, October 21, 1916. Born Monasterevan.
    No British Army G Brown from WWI with that number on CWGC website

Brunskill, H. Major, Royal Army Medical Corps, Missing in action 1914. Born Curragh.
    No Brunskill fom Medical Corps in WWI on CWGC site,

Hannon, W. Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Missing in action, 1916. Born Brannockstown.
    No W Hannon of Royal Dublin Fusiliers on CWGC site,

Hewitt, Charles. Sergeant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Reported missing and perhaps Prisoner of War in Germany, May 11, 1918. Born Naas.
    No C Hewitt from RDF on CWGC site,

Kelly, H.B. Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps, Missing in action 1914. Born Curragh.
    No Captain Kelly from RAMC on CWGC site. Nearest match is Captain HH Kelly from Royal Engineers

Mangan, P. 5704, Private, Royal Irish Rifles, Reported missing, October 6, 1917. Born Naas.
    Number 5704 belongs to Thomas Mangan of Royal Dublin Fusiliers, listed elsewhere on site.. No P Mangan from WWI on CWGC site

McWilliams, P. Private, Leinster Regiment, Missing in action 1916. Born Athy.
    No P McWilliams from Leinster Regiment on CWGC website for WWI. Two from Argyll &Sutherland Highlanders (died 1916), one from Royal Dublin Fusiliers (died 1917).

Morley, C. Captain, Manchester Regiment, 2nd Bn, Missing in action 1914. Born Curragh.
    No Captain C Morley on CWGC website for WW1,

Morrin, M.J. 26906, Acting Lance Corporal, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Reported wounded and missing, December 23, 1916. Born Naas.
    No MJ Morrin and nobody called Morrin with that number on CWGC Website

Morrin, Thomas. 11886, Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Reported wounded (shell-shock) and missing, December 2, 1916. Born Naas.
    Nobody called Morrin with that number on CWGC Website,

Neill, J. Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Missing in action, 1916. Born Curragh.
    Only J Neill from Royal Dublin Fusliers on CWGC site is 43039 Died August 16, 1917.

Torrens, Dudley F. Captain, Royal Army Military Corps, Missing since March 22 1918. Born Naas .
    No Dudley Torrens from WWI on CWGC site,

Tynan, J. 3217, Private, Leinster Regiment, Reported missing, October 21, 1916. Born Naas.
    No J Tynan of that number or regiment on CWGC site,

Watson, P.B. Private, South Wales Borderers, Reported missing, June 9, 1917. Born Newbridge.
    No P Watson from S Wales Borderers on CWGC site for WWI .

I have researched 1 man on the kildare list.Pte William Hannon 24626 from Dunnstown, Brannockstown, co Kildare.He was reported missing in the Irish Times in 1916 while serving in Salonica with the 7th Batt RDF.He was actually tried by FGCM on the 9/11/1916 and sentenced to death for falling asleep while a sentry,this sentence was later commuted to 5yrs penal servitude, but he was released within the year to serve on the western front.I think this is where the confusion arose regarding reports of his death.His brother Michael 8864 RDF,who is not on the Kildare list was KIA 3/5/1915 while serving with the 2nd Batt.This may have added to the confusion.Williams SR is on ancestry and confirms the above.
    Reagards,
    Kabakuyu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

kabakuyu wrote: »
    He was actually tried by FGCM on the 9/11/1916 and sentenced to death for falling asleep while a sentry,this sentence was later commuted to 5yrs penal servitude, but he was released within the year to serve on the western front.I think this is where the confusion arose regarding reports of his death.

When I said that some of those missing must have turned up "as safe and well as one could be in such circumstances", I didn't imagine that was going to be one such explanation!!

He had a pretty eventful war alright,served only 140 days in Maidstone prison, ended up joining the 1st Batt RDF by June 1917 and sustained a shrapnel wound to the right thigh at the battle of Broodseinde on the 4/11/17 where Ockenden won the VC.He was sent home on the 21/11/17 and was discharged in June 1918 when he was described as "being of good character".He was awarded the VM,BWM and the SWB.
    Regasrds,
    Kabakuyu

Arnhem44.
    Another one for your files. Straight off the press.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=ORaw.jpg

Regards.
    Tom.

Thanks Tom,I'll have to have a look out for that.

The Waterford War Dead is now avalable, just published by the History Press.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

What exactly does it mean when there are hearts beside their names?
    For example
    Curtis, John. Reg. No. 93523. Rank; Acting Bombardier, Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action, France, January 9, 1917. Born Athy, Co. Kildare© .

Curtis, Lawrence. Reg. No. 6674. Rank; Private, (Royal Irish) Lancers, 5th Batt. Died of wounds, France, December 4, 1917. Born Athy, Co. Kildare© .

Curtis, Patrick. Reg. No. 3351. Rank; Private, Irish Guards, 1st Batt. Killed in action, France, November 5, 1914. Born Athy, Co. Kildare© .

Does it mean thay were related possibly?

EDIT: Those little (C)s appear as hearts on the linked page.

Rothmans wrote: »
    What exactly does it mean when there are hearts beside their names?
    For example

Does it mean thay were related possibly?

EDIT: Those little (C)s appear as hearts on the linked page.

According to the CWGC website it lists two of the Curtis lads as brothers,most likely the third Curtis is also related and whoever compiled the list most likely put the hearts at the end to signify family(but that's a guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tobyharnden

Brunskill, H. Major, Royal Army Medical Corps, Missing in action 1914. Born Curragh.
    No Brunskill fom Medical Corps in WWI on CWGC site,

I believe Major H. Brunskill was a POW in Friedrichsfeld Camp, Germany in 1914. He is mentioned in an interview with my great-grandfather Sergeant J. Crockett 1 Wilts in which he states: "At this time, Major Brunskill, Captain Kelly and Lieutenant Davies, all of R.A.M.C., were prisoners in camp, they all had their own accommodations, they did everything they could for us, and looked after the general health of the British."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tobyharnden

Brunskill also mentioned here: http://www.kildare.ie/hospitality/historyandheritage/athyheritage/Kildare%20Observer/Kildare%20ObserverSept1914.htm

MAJOR BRUNSKILL

Major H. Brunskill, R.A.M.C., who is reported as "missing" was sanitary officer for the Dublin District, which embraces the Curragh as well as the Dublin depots. He was in charge of the District Laboratory at Dublin Castle and specialised in the study of sanitary science. He was well known in Irish Cricket circles.

Advertisement