Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Denistry

Options
  • 09-02-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Having spent the last 6 months working in a pharmacy it has become apparent to me that spending any longer than one or two years in community pharmacy will either lead to severe depression and/or suicide. I've been talking to quite a few pharmacists and 90% of them reckon if they didn't have kids/ mortgages they would study dentistry. Has anyone here studied dentistry after pharmacy or as their first degree? How do dentists feel about their career? How are the hours? Is it rewarding or just constant drudgery? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Just out of interest, have you looked at industry?

I spent 6 months of my pre-reg (I assume you're a pre-reg now, so you can't change atm?) in industry and it was completely different to dealing with the public, who, it has to be said, grate on me aswell sometimes.

See if you can get an industry job through recruitment websites, you may be lucky, and it saves 4-5 years of guessing did you make the right decision to change to dentistry.

It's worth an option, particularly since you don't like community.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Yeah I have a 2 week placemant coming up. Community is pretty bad in the UK, and its only going to get worse in the future, much, much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

amjon. wrote: »
    Yeah I have a 2 week placemant coming up. Community is pretty bad in the UK, and its only going to get worse in the future, much, much worse.

Make the most of it. If you think you might like it, go for it. Depending on the work you will do you may be in the factory itself, or in an office on administration work, which is what I did. Came out of it with a completely different view of industrial pharmacy and the jobs can be anywhere worldwide.

You can always do dentistry mind, just make sure to fully assess the options you have at the moment with your qualifications.

Advertisement