Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory on graphics cards: does it make a difference?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi
    Im looking at 2 versions of the ati HD4670, one has ddr3 ram the other just standard ram. I read ram isn't that important on GPUs so should I go for the standard ?( the ddr3 wont be in stock for a few weeks)

Also, GPU prices are about 30% dearer than the US, has anyone tried ordering from there?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hi
    Im looking at 2 versions of the ati HD4670, one has ddr3 ram the other just standard ram. I read ram isn't that important on GPUs so should I go for the standard ?( the ddr3 wont be in stock for a few weeks)

Also, GPU prices are about 30% dearer than the US, has anyone tried ordering from there?
    Thanks.

Yes, ram on graphics cards makes a HELL of a difference. Especially if you're talking GDDR V GDDR3.

However, I can't imagine you'd be doing anything overly taxing on the HD4650, so maybe won't be that much of an issue.

Where the ram really comes into play is using AA/AF and higher resolutions - and generally makes a bigger difference the more powerful the GPU, and the more intense the task being handled is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

My screen is 1650x1080 and I want to play Dragons age origins and Empire TW. The 4670 should be enough for them i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My screen is 1650x1080 and I want to play Dragons age origins and Empire TW. The 4670 should be enough for them i think.

1050 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

1050 :p

1680:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Hi

Thanks.

If you order from the US you can get badly hit for tax. They can send you faulty cards and know that chances are you aren't gonna bother sending back. Overall not really recommended.

Can you link the two different 4670's? you can pick that card up for 40 euros second hand on ebay easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The 8600m came in ddr2 and ddr3 versions. In this case benchmarks indicated a very significant difference in the performance of the two versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Jonny7 wrote: »
    If you order from the US you can get badly hit for tax. They can send you faulty cards and know that chances are you aren't gonna bother sending back. Overall not really recommended.

Can you link the two different 4670's? you can pick that card up for 40 euros second hand on ebay easily.

http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,graphics--multimedia-and-i-o,graphics/11137?q=ati%20hd%204670

I had a gander on ebay but theyre only a few euro short the cost for a new one.

Advertisement