Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was I done?

• 09-02-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I was in Shankill on Sunday afternoon. I was coming from Bray to Shankill on the R119. I dont know the area at all.

I was doing 56kmph according to the cruise control and noticed a Guard standing on the footpath on a long straight stretch. I didn't slow down as I thought it was a 60kmph zone and was well below the limit. As I drove past, the guard started to walk away from her location and it made me nervous.

It was only the way home about 15mins later, that I noticed it was a 50kmph zone I had gone through. The guard was still there but there was no van or Garda car nearby.
    I have a feeling I was done and I only have myself to blame but I was bulling to put it nicely.

Do you reckon I was caught. It has been playing on my mind the last few days.

How long does it take to get a points notice in the post?

Thanks,

Jay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be almost certain you weren't - an indicated 56km/h is only a fraction over the 50km/h limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Did she have any electronic equipment in her hand the time you saw her walking away?

- This is important because often times when thems Ban Gardas see ye Shankhill Fellas out Sunday driving they get overly aroused and head for somewhere private......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You will end up in jail I would say ;)

Nah, you should be sound not unless she is bad mood :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Raiser wrote: »
    Did she have any electronic equipment in her hand the time you saw her walking away?

- This is important because often times when thems Ban Gardas see ye Shankhill Fellas out Sunday driving they get overly aroused and head for somewhere private......

Dont think he could spot it as her hand was vibrating too much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

She had the speed gun in her hand, well I think it was the speed gun.

Knowing my luck I will be in Mountjoy for a 3-5 stretch!

I wouldn't be so sure about getting away with it.
    The last time I got points was for 66kmph in a 60kmph zone on the N7 about 2 years ago.

I was fuming about that one.

• Advertisement

j14 wrote: »
    She had the speed gun in her hand, well I think it was the speed gun.

Knowing my luck I will be in Mountjoy for a 3-5 stretch!

I wouldn't be so sure about getting away with it.
    The last time I got points was for 66kmph in a 60kmph zone on the N7 about 2 years ago.

I was fuming about that one.

Ouch!! That was tight on their part. They say a 10% over run so you can say then if she follows that rule you will be done.
    BUT it depends if she "had her quota" for the day.

Just have to sit tight and hope that you get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

This thread has got me thinking?

Are there any chances of getting away with being done for speeding under the excuse of not knowing the speed limit?

As in, if the area is poorly sign posted?

yop wrote: »
    Ouch!! That was tight on their part. They say a 10% over run so you can say then if she follows that rule you will be done.
    BUT it depends if she "had her quota" for the day.

Just have to sit tight and hope that you get away with it.

It was early in the day so I'd say I was one of the first she got for the day.

Ah crap, I'm getting all depressed again just thinking about it.

It was early in the day so I'd say I was one of the first she got for the day.

Ah crap, I'm getting all depressed again just thinking about it.

Dont get too paniced about it, could be worse :) Only a few points which will disappear in a few years.
    Lesson learnt for us all!

Except the sign-age in Ireland is pants anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

the hand held "apparatus" that is used is only an indicator of the speed you were travelling to allow them to pull you over and issue a ticket with. It does not record your reg and then send you a ticket after the fact (like the unmarked GATSO vans). I would say you have nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My cruise control says it is set to 100kph but my Sat Nac says I am doing 97kph.

Likely you were only doing 53kph or so and even at 56kph I doubt the Garda would care less.

yop wrote: »
    Dont get too paniced about it, could be worse :) Only a few points which will disappear in a few years.
    Lesson learnt for us all!

Except the sign-age in Ireland is pants anyway.

You're correct about signage being pants. The only speed signs on this stretch of road are the small circular ones, you know the really small ones.

I dont know any Gardai to ask them questions on this so as usual I came to Boards, thanks for the reassuring posts.

I'll keep you posted if / when anything happens.

Jay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

unless it was on a tripod then I wouldn't be worried, if it was just a handheld device then she would have had to stop you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

Having some unfortunate experience with points, it can be hard to tell as sometimes they don't arrive for weeks, however I would rate your chances of being done here as slim.

So relax and have some cake.

Having some unfortunate experience with points, it can be hard to tell as sometimes they don't arrive for weeks, however I would rate your chances of being done here as slim.

So relax and have some cake.

Mmmmmm, I like cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

HxGH wrote: »
    This thread has got me thinking?

Are there any chances of getting away with being done for speeding under the excuse of not knowing the speed limit?

No evidence to back this up of course as its anecdotal, but a friend of mine was in court when someone tried to pull this defense and rather then getting the minimum fine and a slap on the wrist the judge threw the book at him since he obviously wasn't driving with due care and attention if he was admitting that he didn't see the 20ft high speed limit sign that the guard was standing under with the speed camera :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mmmmmm, I like cake!
    Only if there's cocaine in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was let off with a warning for going too fast on a road leading up to my house. At the time there was no sign posts signalling a new speed once I left the N4. The officer was very nice about and just reminded that the limit is 30kph and he was generally just sussing out me and the car not necessarily me going 20kph over the limit.

But I always thought that we are supposed to have learned all the speeds of the road? Like national roads is X and in built up areas it's Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Only if there's cocaine in it.

Don't you mean raisins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

HxGH wrote: »

Not really no. Unless you can demonstrate that your route to the speed trap had no notice signs at all, i'd say you're out of luck. The legal position will quite reasonably be that the signs are there, and it's your responsibility to look out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Thanks jimoc and daveharnett :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm guessin she might have been standing at the enterance to the graveyard maybe...? probably waiting to direct traffic going to or coming from a funeral...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

<pedant>
    Its Shankill.

Shankhill makes baby Jesus cry.
    </pedant>

I'm guessin she might have been standing at the enterance to the graveyard maybe...? probably waiting to direct traffic going to or coming from a funeral...

Nah, she was before the Graveyard and on the opposite side of the road. After I thought I was caught I went back to have a look and see what the speed was and took in the surroundings a bit more.

I'm hopeful that I got away with it but you never know.

cjt156 wrote: »
    <pedant>
    Its Shankill.

Shankhill makes baby Jesus cry.
    </pedant>

Noted and post amended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

cjt156 wrote: »
    <pedant>
    Its Shankill.

Shankhill makes baby Jesus cry.</pedant>