Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 months down the line (MG stuff again ha ha)

• 09-02-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

okay yous we're right........their i said it, What i'm talking about is that marshall mgs suck balls but i still would have bought one knowing how bad they are, since at the time, i needed an amp. I'm considering getting something else but unsure, would mean getting new FX pedals too. The marshall is fine, the tone is pretty generic, it has the 'rock' tone and the clean is okay. I've recently bought a epiphone les paul custom. I've been tempted by getting a tube amp stack but don't think it would work in a house ha ha. So what you people think and I promise I'll listen this time :p. Not sure if I need a new amp, i'm just considering it thats all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

peavey bandit! :D
    i have one. 75 watts and a killer sound :cool:
    ways a ton though don't try carrying it anywhere. unless you're the hulk :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

yeah really i'm thinking something thats small but will give me the power of the mg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

orange tiny terror

punchdrunk wrote: »
    orange tiny terror

how much would one of them cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is it purely for home use?
    If so, something like that tiny terror would be perfect with a nice cab.
    Or something like a Fender blues junior would fit the bill too. 15 watts really is more than enough, and it will be loud enough to keep up with most drummers. If you're doing gigs, it'll be loud enough for small venues and if the venue is any bigger it'll most likely be mic'd anyway.
    I made the mistake of thinking bigger was better, and bought a blues deluxe, 40 watts of noise, although i love it, it's just far far too loud for home use, and even gigs.

• Advertisement

Is it purely for home use?
    If so, something like that tiny terror would be perfect with a nice cab.
    Or something like a Fender blues junior would fit the bill too. 15 watts really is more than enough, and it will be loud enough to keep up with most drummers. If you're doing gigs, it'll be loud enough for small venues and if the venue is any bigger it'll most likely be mic'd anyway.
    I made the mistake of thinking bigger was better, and bought a blues deluxe, 40 watts of noise, although i love it, it's just far far too loud for home use, and even gigs.

well considering it looks as though i might have a band soon enough, probably for serious gigging too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

something nice and fender-y im quite frond of those small tubey fenders

also will the orange sound good with me running effects pedals and distortion through it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ross Mc wrote: »

Theres a big difference between that and the tiny terror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Better off staying away from that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

http://www.thomann.de/ie/orange_ppc112.htm

say if i had this and the tiny terror, would this be good enough for gigs too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I moved from an MG30 to a Flextone III and its great, got it on adverts, swap + 50 quid so it was a bargain!

a friend has the tiny terror, its a nice lil fella, but if i had to choose id get a nice fender

-=al=- wrote: »
    a friend has the tiny terror, its a nice lil fella, but if i had to choose id get a nice fender

any suggestion of a good fender?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_20h_bundle1.htm

what about this as a in between gig amp and home practice amp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

http://www.thomann.de/ie/orange_ppc112.htm

say if i had this and the tiny terror, would this be good enough for gigs too?

Yeah, it'd be an expensive solution though. You may as well get the TT combo, it'll work out a lot cheaper.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_20h_bundle1.htm

what about this as a in between gig amp and home practice amp?

Solid choice.

Sandvich wrote: »
    Yeah, it'd be an expensive solution though. You may as well get the TT combo, it'll work out a lot cheaper.

thats 600+ and this is 500+, how do you figure?

• Advertisement

oh woops thought you meant the jet city, yeah seems like a good deal

-=al=- wrote: »

yeah but thats never gonna be good enough if i do gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

yeah but thats never gonna be good enough if i do gigs

It will yeah, forget everything you know as regards to sound lever/wattage when you make the leap from solid state to tubes.
    Completely different ball game.

A 15w tube amp is going to be in or around the same as a 45w solid state amp.

CianRyan wrote: »
    It will yeah, forget everything you know as regards to sound lever/wattage when you make the leap from solid state to tubes.
    Completely different ball game.

A 15w tube amp is going to be in or around the same as a 45w solid state amp.

well i'll try one out, i wanna take my time and get the right amp this time. The marshall is fine on the dirty channel but the cleans aren't good enough and i'm noticing just little bits that bug me but most of all it's the weight of it, i need something smaller but cian no need to smart, just tell me if i'm wrong about it etc, i need to learn of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you want a really clean tone at high volume, the Blues Jr probably won't be enough. I have one, I have gigged with it and it's great - but I don't need a perfectly clean tone, I go from a little dirty to fairly distorted.

This amp is great for that classic rock/blues tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomas911

I'd go with an Orange.
    The fenders are dodgy as hell, nice sound but notoriously unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

well i'll try one out, i wanna take my time and get the right amp this time. The marshall is fine on the dirty channel but the cleans aren't good enough and i'm noticing just little bits that bug me but most of all it's the weight of it, i need something smaller but cian no need to smart, just tell me if i'm wrong about it etc, i need to learn of course

I wasn't being smart.:confused:

• Advertisement

sorry just sounded like you were, i'll try out the orange and the jet city if i get the chance, the thing that bugs me about the jet city is it's only got one channel which sort of sucks, i'd have to get an overdrive pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 get27

fender hotrod diville 4x10.

I do want a light amp, sorry if I haven't mentioned that before

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Organeer

I don't know where you live, but you should be able to find a stockist of Orange Amps who will let you try your pedalboard through it before buying. That is the advantage of a homegrown store. Also they may take trade-ins & repairs are easier if needed.

sorry just sounded like you were, i'll try out the orange and the jet city if i get the chance, the thing that bugs me about the jet city is it's only got one channel which sort of sucks, i'd have to get an overdrive pedal.

It doesn't have much clean headroom either. The OD's pedal would be kind of destroyed, so you'd be going from dirty to dirtier.

There's a two channel JCA coming out soon though.

It doesn't have much clean headroom either. The OD's pedal would be kind of destroyed, so you'd be going from dirty to dirtier.

There's a two channel JCA coming out soon though.

sweet well probably be a long while before i'll actually get a new amp if i'm getting one but no harm trying some out in the mean time. A two channel jet city would be savage though. Is that a two channel version of the 20 watt? I know they do a two channel 100 watt but it's quite pricey

• Advertisement

sweet well probably be a long while before i'll actually get a new amp if i'm getting one but no harm trying some out in the mean time. A two channel jet city would be savage though. Is that a two channel version of the 20 watt? I know they do a two channel 100 watt but it's quite pricey

2 Channel version of the 20 Watt. Will be another $100, whatever that works out in Euros. No idea when it's being released.

2 Channel version of the 20 Watt. Will be another $100, whatever that works out in Euros. No idea when it's being released.

Sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Does anyone know what the Dual Terror would be like as regards clean headroom? I'm totally ignorant to this tube amp lark, and GASing bigtime.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Dual Terror would be like as regards clean headroom? I'm totally ignorant to this tube amp lark, and GASing bigtime.

well it's 30 watts (more headroom than the 15w tiny terror)
    so should be fine,especially if you but some later break-up valves in it

most valve amps ship with cheap ass crappy valves in them so budget to replace them too

Advertisement