Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for Rotavec Corona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well they will be on the cows as their sucklers so i take it they will be geting it. just going to power wash out the calving shed now and disenfect then let it dry out for a few days, hopefully with hygene up as good as i can get it it will cut out scours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Bought 50mls of Rotavec Corona recently costing €230 +VAT so €278.
    It hasn't got any cheaper over the years.
    Anyone do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

tanko wrote: »
    Bought 50mls of Rotavec Corona recently costing €230 +VAT so €278.
    It hasn't got any cheaper over the years.
    Anyone do better?

8 euro a cow, pay on collection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

8 euro a cow, pay on collection

Bought 20ml for 224 paid immediately

jfh wrote: »

I don't feel so bad now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

That works out at €22.4/cow.? 2ml/cow !!

C4d78 wrote: »
    That works out at €22.4/cow.? 2ml/cow !!

I'd say he means 50 mls.

tanko wrote: »
    I'd say he means 50 mls.

Sorry yeah meant 40ml for 20 cows
    Looking back, I see that I posted 11years ago that I paid 220 for 40 ml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Done it last year but not this year, it didn’t cut out scour completely and you’d buy a lot of straw for what you spend on it 4 or 5 big bales of straw keep a lot of calves bedded

Done it last year but not this year, it didn’t cut out scour completely and you’d buy a lot of straw for what you spend on it 4 or 5 big bales of straw keep a lot of calves bedded

I found it worked for me last year, but not the year before, you have to be careful on a few things, not saying that you are not, but it only works up between 3 to 12 weeks, I vaccinate in batches now,use the bottle on day off opening, make sure the cow is well feed for last two weeks and calf gets a good drink early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

€10 per cow here. 40ml was €200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I found it worked for me last year, but not the year before, you have to be careful on a few things, not saying that you are not, but it only works up between 3 to 12 weeks, I vaccinate in batches now,use the bottle on day off opening, make sure the cow is well feed for last two weeks and calf gets a good drink early

Ya lot of money for something that isn’t guaranteed, I know if I spend the equivalent on extra straw I’ll Haden healthier calves, less coccidiosis too which is a bigger threat to calves imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Paid 9.50 a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

€9.60 per cow here - and wouldn't be without it - worth every cent.

Once you have had a diagnosis of Rotavirus you have no other choice but to administer it every year, as it becomes endemic in the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

€9.60 per cow here - and wouldn't be without it - worth every cent.

Once you have had a diagnosis of Rotavirus you have no other choice but to administer it every year, as it becomes endemic in the herd.

Wouldn't be with out it here either, awful dose in calves, would wear you out when busy in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I gave up using this 20 years ago after using yogurt milk. If you have to feed cows milk for 2 weeks after calving it’s would be way cheaper to use yogurt milk instead. I’ve had zero problems with calf scour since. What I normally do is use yogurt milk every second year. Of course that’s with dairy suckers are a different story. When I was using it I still had problems With calf scour even though I was feeding every calf their mothers milk for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Depends on the numbers of cows calving also , a guy with 40 cows cannot possibly understand what it’s like to calf and rear 2-300 cows. When those volumes are involved the farmer will try every thing to keep scour out and a tenner a calf is small money to have an easier year . Also the disease challenge will be a lot higher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

This is a bit off-topic and I'm sure a lot of people are aware of it, but.... it's important to know:

From the Datasheet of the Rotavec Corona vaccine:
    Operator warnings

To the user:
    This veterinary medicinal product contains mineral oil. Accidental injection/self-injection may result in severe pain and swelling, particularly if injected into a joint or finger, and in rare cases could result in the loss of the affected finger if prompt medical attention is not given.
    If you are accidentally injected with this product, seek prompt medical advice even if only a very small amount is injected and take the package leaflet with you.
    If pain persists for more than 12 hours after medical examination, seek medical advice again.

To the physician:
    This veterinary medicinal product contains mineral oil. Even if small amounts have been injected, accidental injection with this product can cause intense swelling, which may, for example, result in ischaemic necrosis and even the loss of a digit. Expert, PROMPT, surgical attention is required and may necessitate early incision and irrigation of the injected area, especially where there is involvement of finger pulp or tendon

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Ya lot of money for something that isn’t guaranteed, I know if I spend the equivalent on extra straw I’ll Haden healthier calves, less coccidiosis too which is a bigger threat to calves imo

I sure wish all i ever had to deal with was coccidiosis, that rotovirus would test yer mettle, vaccinate now and wouldn't even ask what it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

€180 for 40ml
    €47.50 for 10ml here in meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I gave up using this 20 years ago after using yogurt milk. If you have to feed cows milk for 2 weeks after calving it’s would be way cheaper to use yogurt milk instead. I’ve had zero problems with calf scour since. What I normally do is use yogurt milk every second year. Of course that’s with dairy suckers are a different story. When I was using it I still had problems With calf scour even though I was feeding every calf their mothers milk for two weeks.

Interesting story...we used rotavac religiously and have few problems...usual hygiene rules apply of course..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Crypto isn't covered by the vaccine. There have been reports that after a few successful years scours can come back.... but Crypto scours. Lack of competition with other pathogens in the gut.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I think our Vet said that Rotavirus remains in an area where foxes become infected after picking it up from cleanings. (but I am open to correction)

€180 for 40ml
    €47.50 for 10ml here in meath

Over €40 cheaper down here in limerick, you might ship some down!

I think our Vet said that Rotavirus remains in an area where foxes become infected after picking it up from cleanings. (but I am open to correction)

I think you're referring to Neosporosis. (Abortion)

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »

OK - it was a while ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just ordered the bovigen 7e a cow pay on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

greysides wrote:

vet said its the biggest problem undetected on farm at present , because most farmers don't believe their beloved collie could be the culprit or a roaming dog or fox ,

it's one herd wrecker disease , and by the way the these animals and off springs are moving through every mart in the country .

it's rampant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is it ok to inject Rotavec Corona in the hind rather than the neck as I find it very hard to inject cows in the neck due to their constant movement ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is it ok to inject Rotavec Corona in the hind rather than the neck as I find it very hard to inject cows in the neck due to their constant movement ?

Yup, no problem there

Advertisement