Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone lines - Apartments

Options
  • 09-02-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just curious about something. I moved into an apartment in Sallins in Kildare 5 months ago and still don't have a phone line.

Rang eircom, their engineer told me that the builder didn't connect the ducting (or somesuch), rang the builder and he said eircom were lying, they always say that. This same toing and froing crap has been going on for literally 5 months.

My question is does anyone know what the regulations are around installing phone lines in brand new apartments are? I mean I have two phone points in the house so the wiring is there but who has to connect what to what!? Surely it should be ready to go? Or am I just being blindly optimistic!

I mean 5 months without the web when I need it for work is a bit unfair isn't it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Hi sorry to hear about your problem.

Usually the phone lines from each block run down to a central point. the eircom main line comes into this point where eircom do the connections.

Do you not have a management company(I find them usually less then useless) because this sounds like a common area issue, which would be their responseabilty.

and the builder should be able to locate where the eircom line comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If you are in a block, have you asked any of your neighbours whether they have phones or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should try to arrange to meet the builder on site to discuss it, and schedule the Eircom engineer for the same time.

Then you can get them both to work together to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Paulw wrote: »
    You should try to arrange to meet the builder on site to discuss it, and schedule the Eircom engineer for the same time.

Then you can get them both to work together to get it fixed.

Thanks for the replies guys! Newish enough development, neighbours all seem to be using different varieties of mobile broadband but I need something heavier duty for work.

And trying to actually pin down an eircom engineer is not an easy thing to do, especially not on a specific day. And unfortunately the builders are based in waterford!

Spoke to the developer there a wee while ago and apparently all of the work that they were supposed to do so literally eircom are feeding me lies.

Frustrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Nets & Comms - apologies mods if not the best location

dudara

• Advertisement

Not so much a technology issue as two large companies screwing me by not doing their jobs though is it!? That bangs of consumer rights in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Thanks for the replies guys! Newish enough development, neighbours all seem to be using different varieties of mobile broadband but I need something heavier duty for work.

And trying to actually pin down an eircom engineer is not an easy thing to do, especially not on a specific day. And unfortunately the builders are based in waterford!

Spoke to the developer there a wee while ago and apparently all of the work that they were supposed to do so literally eircom are feeding me lies.

Frustrated!

Just tell them you name, they'll be round in a flash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds like Eircom trying to pull a fast one to get the full €150ish connection fee out of you, rather than the sub €50 one if you hae all the lines and wiring there

sounds like Eircom trying to pull a fast one to get the full €150ish connection fee out of you, rather than the sub €50 one if you hae all the lines and wiring there

Now that seems pretty likely! Still nothing from the engineers and logged a complaint with them this morning. This is a pain in the hole.

Advertisement