Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a geography head

• 09-02-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Say if I wanted to accumulate all of the Koppen-Geiger classifications for just Argentina, how would I pull that out of the dataset? Surely there is an easier way than going through each lat/long observation provided until I have fenced the country in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Would G.I.S be any good to you?

If you had the Koppen-Geiger classification in a raster map and isolate a raster of Argentina, multiply one by the other and hey-presto. I imagine the Koppen-Geiger classification would be available in a G.I.S map somewhere. In my old department we had plenty of datasets like that for undergrad teaching.

I think this is what you are trying to do?

Any fair play as regards a geography forum! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

The KG data comes in GIS format, but I only messed around with it and couldn't get it to open. I have no experience with GIS, so if the cost of learning is high I will have to do without.

By the way, add a voice of support to the thread, thats how you get these things through!

:)

Its not the hardest thing to do in the world.

I imagine you are trying to open the KG map? That wont work. Its more than likely in a layer file in which case you add it to an empty map. Gimme a few minutes and I'll screen grab what to do to open it.

Edit - your sig for the geog forum is gone? Throw up the link or point the direction and ill add my support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Here we go. Open ArcMap and select "A new empty map".

Click the highlighted symbol ("add data") and navigate to your dataset
    (see pic :))

That should open it for you!

104897.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement