Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imported car - never been taxed in Ireland

• 09-02-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking at a car at the minute. It was imported from the UK 2 and a half years ago, but was never taxed. The VRT was paid and has an Irish Registration number. The car was only used for shows and was never driven on the road (always trailored to and from the shows).

Is this something that I should be cautious about, or is it a fairly straight forward procedure? As it has never been taxed in Ireland before, this would make me the 1st registered owner in Ireland, correct? Also, as a result, would that leave me liable for the past 2 and half years tax?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

If it has an Irish number its already registered to an Irish owner.

Also you only become liable for car tax from the date it is registered in your name so you are not going to get caught for the last two and half years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

go to the guards they will give you a form fill in dates you purchased it and get dully stamped take it to tax office and all is well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the replies. They only have the ownership form from the UK (single A4 page). I asked about the registration certificate/log book, and they said there is none until I tax it. The car is on Irish plates (checked the validity of it).

From Cartell:

A Registration Certificate has not yet been issued for this vehicle

According to the UK Cartell report, it is classed as Category C damage (badly damaged but may be repairable). They said it had been fully restored professionally. It did look in very good condition (its over 30 years old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Thats odd.....as far as I know a car is not registered if it doesn't have an Irish reg but this car has so it HAS to have a reg cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. They only have the ownership form from the UK (single A4 page). I asked about the registration certificate/log book, and they said there is none until I tax it. The car is on Irish plates (checked the validity of it).

Ask for the VRT receipt. If you have that then VRT is 100% paid.

You might be able to tax it online for the first time with the last 6 digits of the chassis number. VLC (log book) will be posted after first taxation, but you'll be down as the 2nd Irish owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I actually think I know the car you're talking about, because I only spoke to someone about it last night and heard the same story... That is if it's the same car!

Pretty sure they had the VRT slip on them.

Should I be concerned about the "Category C" damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).
    Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.
    Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
    Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.
    Recorded with HPI.

X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.
    NOT Recorded with HPI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The only reason the reg cert wasnt issued was because they only issue it once taxed.
    Its an odd case but you cannot be liable for tax.
    One simple way out might be for the current owner to get the from signed by gardai saying it was off the road and then get some tax on it for the next 3 months maybe.
    Reg cert will then issue. You can then buy in usual way by doing change of owner on the new reg cert.
    I wouldnt buy a Cat C damaged car though, they will be pretty heavily damaged.

Maybe the owner is not being so truthful. Perhaps they will not be able to get it signed as being off the road. Maybe there are a few traffic offences logged against it? It sounds alittle dodgy overall. Did the owner tell you it was a Cat C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mickdw wrote: »
    The only reason the reg cert wasnt issued was because they only issue it once taxed.
    Correct. This has been in operation for a while now.
    Its an odd case but you cannot be liable for tax.
    Also correct.
    One simple way out might be for the current owner to get the from signed by gardai saying it was off the road and then get some tax on it for the next 3 months maybe.
    This is the only way. Chicken and egg. They can't transfer ownership to you without the Cert. They can't get the Cert without taxing it first.

• Advertisement

The fact it's a 30 year old car may be why it was repaired? They said they never drove it so didn't want to pay tax...

JHMEG wrote: »
    Correct. This has been in operation for a while now.

Also correct.

This is the only way. Chicken and egg. They can't transfer ownership to you without the Cert. They can't get the Cert without taxing it first.

They still had the application form for the tax. Would it not just be a case of me sending it off?

The fact it's a 30 year old car may be why it was repaired? They said they never drove it so didn't want to pay tax...

Ah ok, in the case of an old car, you are going to be buying on condition anyway so I wouldnt be so worried about the Cat C.
    If it is 30 yo, it should not be an issue for the current owner to tax it for a year. its only a few euro. It still doesnt make sense as to why the owner wouldnt have taxed it to get the cert at least prior to offering it for sale.

It was restored fully, and it does look it. If they don't tax it, would it be an issue for me to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Sorry this might be a stupid question but is it running? I mean if its been trailered everywhere and not been run for 2 1/2 years it will need a good service no?

They still had the application form for the tax. Would it not just be a case of me sending it off?

You would be taxing their car for them.

You would be taxing their car for them.

For the past two years?

Theta wrote: »
    Sorry this might be a stupid question but is it running? I mean if its been trailered everywhere and not been run for 2 1/2 years it will need a good service no?

Went out driving in it. Not a single issue with it. Actually ran better than any other engine of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Also, as a result, would that leave me liable for the past 2 and half years tax?

Nope. Car not on public road doesn't need tax, irrespective of who owns, or owned, it.
    Not so. Fill in manual change of ownership form, attached to the RF you have for 'first tax', hand it in to CoCo office, and new disc comes to you, closely followed by VLC a few days later.

See above. OP - it's not a biggie, really, it isn't. I did it with a Quattro Coupe that was cleared and off the road for 5 years before it's first taxing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Not so. Fill in manual change of ownership form, attached to the RF you have for 'first tax', hand it in to CoCo office, and new disc comes to you, closely followed by VLC a few days later.

I didnt know that. Useful to know

I didnt know that. Useful to know

Same here. Give it a lash, can't hurt to try.

• Advertisement

No probs.......got an even better one for you to ponder myself, now:

I have a 'bike that I imported, and paid Customs on, way back when. You read that right: 'Customs' ! pre-VRT ! I paid £25 iirc..........now, imagine the palaver I'm going to have getting a VRT-regime reg for it, and 'proving' I don't need to re-clear it ! :D

Will keep ya posted, as they say !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I have an old honda 50 myself. No paperwork for it.
    How do I go about getting a reg on that. Its on an english plate.

Ok, so all and all, I shouldn't be worries about the whole tax or Category C thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can use the V.R.T. Cert to tax the car

Grand, so no issues with the tax it seems! I'll thank ye all later when I'm not in the iPhone.

Should I be worried that it's a Category C repair?

What make/model car is it?

Clubman 1275GT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There's a change of ownership form attached to the RF100? Is this only for imported vehicles as I've never seen that for a new Irish regsitered vehicle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be very concernedc about the category C repair. I'd want the report, pics etc.

• Advertisement

I'd be very concernedc about the category C repair. I'd want the report, pics etc.

They said it had never been damaged since they got it, and didnt know if it had been before. Ive asked for reports/pictures for the restoration job.

R.O.R wrote: »
    There's a change of ownership form attached to the RF100? Is this only for imported vehicles as I've never seen that for a new Irish regsitered vehicle.

...no, you're right, there isn't - but there is the traditional 'Transfer of Ownership RF' form, and you can use that.

Ode To The Motorist

I have an old honda 50 myself. No paperwork for it.
    How do I go about getting a reg on that. Its on an english plate.

You can do two things: write to DVLC Swansea and get a replacement V5C sent to you, to clear it.

Or, you could just walk in to Revenue and clear it as-is, with papers lost. VRT on that beauty would the heady sum of.......€10, iirc..........

I've looked up the papers on my - actually, correction, Mrs Galwaytt's DT175 - and I paid £34 Excise, + VAT (:rolleyes:) + Clearance Fees totalling £64. In 1991........:p.........the clearance papers are all faded, so I'll let you know how that goes !

Oh, clearance papers are........CIE !...they operate(d) Rosslare at the time, iirc........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

CIE !...they operate(d) Rosslare at the time, iirc........

They still do. In fact they own it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They said it had never been damaged since they got it, and didnt know if it had been before. Ive asked for reports/pictures for the restoration job.

Don't VOSA have do do an inspection? If so there's a record of it.

Don't VOSA have do do an inspection? If so there's a record of it.

Is this the VIC form? I've heard that they're not worth much though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement