Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clueless??

• 09-02-2010 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm 21 and never really had any desire to drive because my job was within walking distance from home.

Now that I've gotten a job much further away the time has come to learn.

The problem is I've never even sat behind the wheel in a car and I don't know what the steps are to learning and getting a license.

Can I just ring up for lessons straight away or is their the things I have to do before I get to this stage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need to apply for and get a learner permit first.
    To do that you have to sit for and pass the theory test, get an eye test and apply to your local Motor Tax Office.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/RSA_Services/Driver_Licensing.html

Once you have your permit, you can get some lessons. Personally, I have only had lessons from a qualified instructor, rather than starting off with parents or friends, but that was my choice.

I got my permit October 6th and hope to do the test before the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As said you will need to sit a theory test, and apply for your learner Permit. Once you receive your permit you can start taking lessons, or driving with an accompanying driver who has held their license for 2 years or more.

Starting out i would suggest that you get lessons, it will mean that you will develop good driving habits from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hello Newmanxxx

Thanks lads. Really appreciate the help.

(Don't have enough posts to thanks posts)

In regards the eye test. If I pass do I just get something signed to bring to the motor tax office with me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

ye i definatly agree with alan once you pass the theory test, which is relativly simple, start straight away with a qualified instructor if not you'll pick up bad habits such as coasting etc...

Thats what happened me and it took until my 3rd time to pass.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hello Newmanxxx

Thanks everyone for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks lads. Really appreciate the help.

(Don't have enough posts to thanks posts)

In regards the eye test. If I pass do I just get something signed to bring to the motor tax office with me??

No problem, that's what this forum is for:)

As for the eye test, there is a form available HERE, it must be filled out by an optician/doctor after completing a simple eye test. And as you said, you just bring it with you to the motor tax office with the rest of your application.

Advertisement