Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win tickets to see Little Gem in Dublin's Peacock Theatre

Options
  • 09-02-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

I'll admit to being biased about this play, having seen it and loved it, so I'm delighted we can offer you the chance to win tickets to see Little Gem at the Peacock Theatre, Dublin.

littlegem.jpg
    Amber has fierce bad indigestion and the Sambucas aren’t getting rid of it. Lorraine attacks a customer at work and her boss wants her to see a psychiatrist. Kay’s got an itch that Gem can’t scratch (but maybe Kermit can). Paul is just using Amber until he can get to Australia.

The Hairy Man fancies Lorraine but fails to rise to the occasion, and Gem doesn’t like the neighbours coming in to ‘mind’ him. And if all that wasn’t bad enough, Little Gem makes his presence felt and…well…life is never the same again.

Little Gem, Elaine Murphy’s first full-length play, has swept the boards since its sell out run as part of the 2008 Dublin Fringe Festival.

It was the surprise hit of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the first ever Irish production to receive the prestigious Carol Tambor Award. Now the Abbey is delighted to present this heart-warming tale of courage, comedy and romance on the Peacock stage, following its tour to New York in 2010.

I can honestly tell you that this play made me emotional, happy and enthralled all at once, so I'm going to do something different here.

This is a competition for tickets, but I'd like the winners to promise me 3 things:
    1. That they haven't seen it already
    2. That they'll bring someone who'd enjoy it with them, and
    3. You'll come back and write an honest review about it here.

Sound good? I have two pairs of tickets up for grabs for a show this Saturday, February 13 (either Matinee or Evening) , so two winners - the only other stipulation is you must have more than 10 posts to be eligible to enter!

Little Gem is at the Peacock until Saturday 27 February. It's on Monday – Saturday evenings at 8pm with a Saturday matinee 2.30pm and tickets are between €18 and €25. You can book online or call 01 87 87 222 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I promise I'll do each of those three things in return for a pair of tickets, thanks.

EDIT : Just wanted to do a quick post there in case the tickets were going to the first people that posted... but to expand a little...

I really like the sound of this play, it seems upbeat, positive and wholesome compared with the last play I saw which revolved around a group of hard drinking down and outs with skeletons in their closets... people whom, frankly, I don't care about.

If we win, I'll be bringing my lady, and it sounds like it's her cup of tea. Plus she's the best person I can think of to help me write a wee review of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I havn't seen it, I can bring someone who loves theatre and I promise to come back and give a review. I think Hilda Fay is a fantastic actress but i've only seen her on TV and would love to see her performing on the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I pledge to thee to keep these promises three.

By which I mean I'll do all the stuff you mentioned in the original post.

Toodle pip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

i also pledge truthfully!

Its sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I promise too!

Read about it in the paper a couple of weeks back, looks like a play that I'd enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Would like to win these. Will definitely keep those promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm a student but I love going to theatre and making my friends enthusiastic about it too, so I will fulfill your promise if I win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

I would absolutely love to see this play, but am absolutely broke. Please please let me be the winner. I will adhere to all the conditions faithfully:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CharismaPeep

I'd really love to go, since i had planned to, but the tickets are sold out.
    Me and my friend had originally planned to go on either this saturday and sunday, but waited until i was back from the US this week to book the tickets. Now its sold out for the entire run!!!

I feel bad because it's my fault we won't get to see it, as we were both really looking forward to it. As for the review, i am doing a Irish theatre class in which i am to do a professional review of a play of my choice. I was planning to do it on 'Little Gem' in anyway and would have no problem posting it here as well.

I'd love to surprise my friend by being able to bring her, especially as she's in work really dissappointed at the moment that we wont get to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

1. Yep;
    2. Yep;
    3. Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Yep, I'll do all of the above, was at Faith Healer on Monday night and found it a bit dark but very enjoyable.

Something a bit more upbeat would be great!!

Promise to give a more detailed review than above too:pac:

I'll expand on Faith Healer too if anybody wishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

I haven't seen it.
    I'll bring my valentine and argue about a review in the car on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I pledge to thee to keep these promises three.

By which I mean I'll do all the stuff you mentioned in the original post.

Toodle pip

Regretfully I must withdraw my pledges, (all three of them), and also my name from the hat.

It seems that other plans have been made for me behind my back and against my will, so I can't make it on Saturday.

I hope whoever wins enjoys the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thank You to boards!! I was one of the lucky winners of this competition.

I brought someone who would enjoy it, neither of us knew anything about the play before hand and I hope people enjoy having a look at the review.
    Apologies for the delay in posting it up. My bad.

The review is here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64593638

Advertisement